• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It looks like water damage, but it ain't!

17 posts in this topic

I've seen one or two posts concerning what looks like water damage on covers of modern Marvels (a wavy, rippling effect on the cover), but has anyone seen a similar thing on Silver Age Marvels?

This is the cover of Strange Tales 128:

StrangeTales128_f.jpg

And the section of the spine that shows this wavy, rippling effect:

StrangeTales128_sp1.jpg

This isn't water damage. There's no stain and nothing on the inside pages.

Any ideas what caused it?

What would the effect on grade be?

Thanks.

I am not here to spark an argument, but I dont think people would mind. I think they would rather have it pressed out than have the waviness. Look at the polls that Mcmiles posted in General. Most people dont care about pressing at all as long as it is disclosed, and I for one could care less if a book is pressed. If pressing would take that out, Id do it in a second

I've seen one or two posts concerning what looks like water damage on covers of modern Marvels (a wavy, rippling effect on the cover), but has anyone seen a similar thing on Silver Age Marvels?

I'd venture a guess that the rippling comes from exposure to moist storage conditions of some kind...maybe only that one area near the spine was completely exposed, or maybe some water ran across the cover but was wiped clean before it could really stain.

The rippling effect on those moderns you refer to seems to have something to do with the paper stock used, and "seems to be" common to most or all copies of that era. I don't think one can make quite the same case with a silver age book.

I'd venture a guess that the rippling comes from exposure to moist storage conditions of some kind...maybe only that one area near the spine was completely exposed,

That's it exactly, in my opinion. I think the rippling is the result of comics being stored in a stack in very humid or damp conditions.

There was a dealer at the Chicago Comicon in the mid-1980's that was selling Robert Bell's old warehouse stock for $1 per book. Almost all of them had that moisture damage to the edges, you could tell they had been stored in stacks with only the edges being exposed to the dampness. Sometimes it was the spine with the damage, sometimes the open edge of the comic, depending on how the book was situated in the stack. There was no water staining or bad smell, just that rippling along the edge. Otherwise the books were unread and in beautiful condition with original gloss. I ended up buying a stack of about 65 silver age Marvels, and many of them have edges that look very similar to that Strange Tales.

I'd venture a guess that the rippling comes from exposure to moist storage conditions of some kind...maybe only that one area near the spine was completely exposed,

That's it exactly, in my opinion. I think the rippling is the result of comics being stored in a stack in very humid or damp conditions.

There was a dealer at the Chicago Comicon in the mid-1980's that was selling Robert Bell's old warehouse stock for $1 per book. Almost all of them had that moisture damage to the edges, you could tell they had been stored in stacks with only the edges being exposed to the dampness. Sometimes it was the spine with the damage, sometimes the open edge of the comic, depending on how the book was situated in the stack. There was no water staining or bad smell, just that rippling along the edge. Otherwise the books were unread and in beautiful condition with original gloss. I ended up buying a stack of about 65 silver age Marvels, and many of them have edges that look very similar to that Strange Tales.

Thanks guys.

So this isn't any sort of production flaw with the paper, and therefore needs to be graded as such.

One other thing I forgot to ask:

Does the right edge looked trimmed?

StrangeTales128_f.jpg

StrangeTales128_sp1.jpg

Thanks.

looks like someone sat on it . . . lol

StrangeTales128_f.jpg

StrangeTales128_sp1.jpg

Thanks.

And had a really wet fart.

StrangeTales128_f.jpg

StrangeTales128_sp1.jpg

Thanks.

Great to see some toilet humor at last.

StrangeTales128_f.jpg

StrangeTales128_sp1.jpg

Thanks.

Sounds par for my dorm room in college . . . :sick: