• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flash #1 GA scam??

15 posts in this topic

Why on Earth would he run a ONE day eBay auction on such a hi-end comic? Looks fishey. Does he need the $$$ that fast to pay for his comicshop's rent, staff payroll or alimony? makepoint.gif

Might have to pay the comic book mafia.

If I don't make a payment by Monday they're gonna cut off my thumb.

Also it says this below the title:

Note: This listing is restricted to pre-approved bidders or buyers only.

So you have to ask his permission to bid on the item, otherwise it will not allow you to bid.

What a crack-pot foreheadslap.gif893frustrated.gifstooges.gif

Timely

So you have to ask his permission to bid on the item, otherwise it will not allow you to bid.

That's a first for me. I don't think I've ever seen a pre-approved restriced auction before. It's 6:30am, I want to bid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (a buck) grin.gif

That's a first for me. I don't think I've ever seen a pre-approved restriced auction before. It's 6:30am, I want to bid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (a buck) grin.gif

Actually, I have seen a pre-approved restricted auction before - the Superman 1 that was on for a day or two and of which there's a separate thread here and in Golden Age. In that case, as in this case, the account of a Seller with 100% positive Feedback, and a lot of Feedback, was used.

I'm not sure if this is what's going on, but all I can say is that I have 100% positive Feedback and my EBay account was once "highjacked" by someone else. What they do is send you an e-mail asking you some question. Apparently, if you respond they're able to pull your password out of your computer. (I'm not sure if having a firewall prevents this, but I would think it might). They then transfer your e-mail address to theirs, and they become you. EBay will send you a message informing you of the address change, affording you an opportunity to let you know that it wasn't you that recommended it. From the fraudster's perspective, the trick is getting in and out before the owner of the EBay name responds to EBay's request for verification. I guess they figured that some people might be away and off-line over the Thanksgiving day weekend. If they could get the auction closed and payment received before the seller realized what happened, well, that's a might easy way to make a living.

No doubt his FLASH auction is totally hijacked.

Looking at the sellers past auctions, his/her text is plain and no HTML is part of the ad.

Now you have this new auction with all this elaborate HTML. The crook must be very stupid, especially posting the comiclink scan. The book is currently up for sale there for $18,750.00.

http://www.comiclink.com/flashcomics1cgc5.htm

Yeah, there's another thread around here, maybe on another board, about someone who recently (like yesterday I think) had their ebay account hijacked and the "hijacker" left negative feedback to everyone he/she could. A top ebay comic seller, too.

XMEN # 1 now. 100 % feedback ?

The link already notes it is now an invalid auction - it appears the one you're referring to was caught pretty quickly.

Either this is a recent development (hijacking ebay accounts) or I'm just reading about this quite a bit lately on these boards, but now you've gotta be cautious about even the sellers with 100% feedback, because if it sounds like a good deal, you've gotta wonder if it's a hijacked account!!

you'll notice all the hijacked are 1 day auctions because they are stealing the email address. longer auctions would be much more difficult, you would have to make the actual seller incommunicado..........oooops. blush.gif

now this: Action Comics # 23 1 day 893whatthe.gif

this might have worked had he(she) not chosen such high profile books.

The link already notes it is now an invalid auction - it appears the one you're referring to was caught pretty quickly.

Either this is a recent development (hijacking ebay accounts) or I'm just reading about this quite a bit lately on these boards, but now you've gotta be cautious about even the sellers with 100% feedback, because if it sounds like a good deal, you've gotta wonder if it's a hijacked account!!

I got this in my email box this morning after I asked to bid.

I SAW YOU ARE INTERESTED IN MY Flash Comics #1 CGC VGF 5.0.

I ALSO SEE I HAVE FEW PROBLEMS WITH MY EBAY ACCOUNT AND I CAN NOT USE IT FOR 2 OR 3 DAYS.

IF YOU ARE STILL INTERESTED PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

THE PRICE IS $3,999,99.

REGARDS.

Toni xxxxxx

www.tonis-sports-cards.com

Phone/Fax (UK): xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Phone/Fax (IT): xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I got this in my email box this morning after I asked to bid.

I SAW YOU ARE INTERESTED IN MY Flash Comics #1 CGC VGF 5.0.

I ALSO SEE I HAVE FEW PROBLEMS WITH MY EBAY ACCOUNT AND I CAN NOT USE IT FOR 2 OR 3 DAYS.

IF YOU ARE STILL INTERESTED PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

THE PRICE IS $3,999,99.

REGARDS.

Toni xxxxxx

www.tonis-sports-cards.com

Phone/Fax (UK): xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Phone/Fax (IT): xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I was just about to post the same.

The web site is pretty good. Hmmmmm... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif