• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jim Starlin

38 posts in this topic

Here is wisdom:

What if Jim Starlin's name has been Jim Smith or Jim McDonald? Would he have been a legend in comics? Is that galactic sounding "Starlin" last name key to his success? lol

He would be recognized as a great talent even if his name was something boring-sounding like..... Jack Kirby....

Starlin used to sign some of his works using pseudonym "jumbles" of the letters of his name. There were lots of them, but the one I remember best is J. L. Minirats.

Jacob Kurtzberg signed his early works as Jack Curtis, I believe, before settling on Jack Kirby. I think Stanley Martin Lieber used a pseudonym as well, but I can't remember what that one was.

I personally found the Infinity Gauntlet to be a bit of a downer.

It seemed a little rushed, a little poorly thought out. It did not have the woven depth and sense of reality that his earlier work had...

That's just my opinion though.

BTW, I've always loved the way Starlin drew the strong, thick torsos.

:applause:

Also (and this may be due to the inker) the way he used his shadow and highlights in the Warlock saga was truly a thing of beauty...the Matriarch, Gomorrah, Pip, The Magus...they are looked truly fantastic and life like.

2c

I really liked the way he drew the Matriarch. The other cool thing about the Warlock saga was it reminded me a little of Terminator. Obviously it predates it and there were other stories out there before Starlin did this but still I had that running through my mind reading it.

Marvel Masterworks: Warlock Volume 2

Reprints: Strange Tales #178-181, Warlock #9-15, Marvel Team-Up #55, Avengers Annual #7 and Marvel Two-In-One Annual #2

(Vol. 119 in the Marvel Masterworks Library)

First Print

Release Date: June 30, 2009

REGULAR EDITION ISBN: 978-0-7851-3511-1 • List Price: $54.99

VARIANT EDITION ISBN: 978-0-7851-3512-8 • List Price: $54.99

VARIANT PRINT RUN: TBA

320 Pages

Scripted by Jim Starlin with Bill Mantlo

Penciled by Jim Starlin with John Byrne

Cover by Jim Starlin

Foreword by TBA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CONCLUDING A CLASSIC COSMIC EPIC!

The Marvel Masterworks line is proud to present one of comics’ most mind-blowingly cosmic sagas. At ’70s Marvel there was no one who quite mastered the startling scope and high-concept complexity of truly cosmic adventure like writer/artist and overall Renaissance man, Jim Starlin. His first effort with Captain Marvel redefined a character. His second with Adam Warlock set the tone for star-spanning spectacle that is considered a high-water mark to this day.

Taking the legacy laid out by Lee, Kirby, Thomas and Kane, Jim Starlin evolved Warlock to the next level, imbuing the character with the furies and inner demons of a man-god on the brink of insanity. Forced to confront the Magus, an evil vision of himself, and the nihilistic menace, Thanos, Warlock’s conflicts weren’t just knuckle-grinding throw-downs; they were epic, existential struggles for his very soul.

Culminating in the first-ever assembling of the Infinity Gems, and featuring the first appearances of such cosmic Marvel mainstays as Gamorra and Pip the Troll (not to mention an all-out struggle to save the universe joined by the Avengers, Captain Marvel and Spider-Man,) this Masterworks edition is definitive Marvel. So reserve that copy today, True Believer!

Collecting STRANGE TALES #178-181, WARLOCK #9-15, MARVEL TEAM-UP #55, AVENGERS ANNUAL #7 and MARVEL TWO-IN-ONE ANNUAL #2

Regular Edition

mm_war02_3b.jpg

Variant Cover Edition

mm_war02_1b.jpg

Although it could never compare to his Warlock work, Didn't Starlin also write the "Death in the Family" story arc in Batman? One of the deeper tales on how wild life can get - even for a DC hero.

Characters he created, off the top of my head:

Thanos

Starfox

Pip the Troll

Gamora

In-betweener

The Magus

Vanth Dreadstar

Syzygy Darklock

Oedi

Skeevo

The Weird

Wyrd: The Reluctant Warrior

p.s. His Warlock saga from the 1970's is one of my favorite comic book stories of all time. Strange Tales #178-181, Warlock #9-15, Avengers Annual #7, Marvel Two-In-One Annual #2. It has been reprinted, but I don't know if it has ever been collected.

The Warlock saga is one of the deepest and best thought out story lines I have ever read. It put him on the map and made me realize what a genius he was.

(worship)

I concur, this is a must read if you're planning to get into Starlin.

Another story worth looking into is the Metamorphosis Odyssey series found in the early issues of Epic Illustrated. The storyline continues in "The Price" (a one-shot, also very good) and the Dreadstar series (I had mixed opinions about this).

Here's a copy of Epic Illustrated 2; with "James" Starlin starting his Metamorphosis Odyssey. Good stuff! (thumbs u

epic2.jpg

I think the Metamorphosis Odyssey was covered across Epic Illustrated #1-9, but I forget if there was one more story told in a later issue. For some reason, I thought it was issue 13 or 14, but could be wrong.

You know what, if that is the 6 part mini series I didn't like it.

He is working on the Rann-Thanagar series...I'm likely going to be reading that.

It felt a little rushed and shallow...almost like a children's cartoon...maybe the layouts were a bit weak...not the deep stuff I'm used to with Starlin....it wasn't horrible....but after the Warlock run it's tough to top.

I am looking forward to his new DC stint as it looks very promising.

Warlock :cloud9:

I agree with the comparisons, the Warlock run was top-notch.

What I loved about Starlin and IG was his take on Thanos. Thanos subconsciously couldn't handle

omnipotence, so he set himself up to fail. A very humanistic attribute, IMHO.

Go Starlin! :headbang:

Anyone know of any Con appearances in the near future?

Warlock :cloud9:

I agree with the comparisons, the Warlock run was top-notch.

What I loved about Starlin and IG was his take on Thanos. Thanos subconsciously couldn't handle

omnipotence, so he set himself up to fail. A very humanistic attribute, IMHO.

Go Starlin! :headbang:

Anyone know of any Con appearances in the near future?

He was in San Diego. Killer dude, didn't mind signing a buttload of comics while we chatted.