• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jim Starlin

38 posts in this topic

Never been much of a "cosmic" Marvel universe guy (with exception of Infinity Gauntlet and Annihilation) but I know Starlin is like the architect of it beginning ..what in the Bronze age or so?

Look for some good Starlin reads to see what hes all about. Something I can get in HC form.

Also, is there a listing of the characters he's created? If not maybe a few fans on this board can shoot offhand some characters.

Thx!

Characters he created, off the top of my head:

Thanos

Starfox

Pip the Troll

Gamora

In-betweener

The Magus

Vanth Dreadstar

Syzygy Darklock

Oedi

Skeevo

The Weird

Wyrd: The Reluctant Warrior

p.s. His Warlock saga from the 1970's is one of my favorite comic book stories of all time. Strange Tales #178-181, Warlock #9-15, Avengers Annual #7, Marvel Two-In-One Annual #2. It has been reprinted, but I don't know if it has ever been collected.

Thanos

Starfox

Pip the Troll

Gamora

In-betweener

The Magus

Vanth Dreadstar

Syzygy Darklock

Oedi

Skeevo

The Weird

p.s. His Warlock saga from the 1970's is one of my favorite comic book stories of all time. Strange Tales #178-181, Warlock #9-15, Avengers Annual #7, Marvel Two-In-One Annual #2. It has been reprinted, but I don't know if it has ever been collected.

I am going to have to 2nd that opinion. A Classic read. Next time someone says "Comics? that's kid stuff!" Give them that run to read!!

mmmmmm Starlin

Thanos

Starfox

Pip the Troll

Gamora

In-betweener

The Magus

Vanth Dreadstar

Syzygy Darklock

Oedi

Skeevo

The Weird

The Warlock saga is one of the deepest and best thought out story lines I have ever read. It put him on the map and made me realize what a genius he was.

(worship)

Thanos

Starfox

Pip the Troll

Gamora

In-betweener

The Magus

Vanth Dreadstar

Syzygy Darklock

Oedi

Skeevo

The Weird

The Warlock saga is one of the deepest and best thought out story lines I have ever read. It put him on the map and made me realize what a genius he was.

(worship)

I concur, this is a must read if you're planning to get into Starlin.

Another story worth looking into is the Metamorphosis Odyssey series found in the early issues of Epic Illustrated. The storyline continues in "The Price" (a one-shot, also very good) and the Dreadstar series (I had mixed opinions about this).

I was really expecting to love the Captain Marvel Thanos storyline, but found it kind of ho hum (Rick Jones, person_without_enough_empathy!). It probably didn't help that it was a reprint so the art was probably colored differently but even so Starlin didn't seem to have full control of his artistic skills at that point.

I was absolutely blown away by the Warlock saga and didn't think I would like Warlock much but it was 10 times better than the Captain Marvel run. The art is great and when it the story opens it felt kind of like a GA Plant Comics issue. Pip the Troll rocks and even has a solo issue.

The Death of Captain Marvel is a great stand alone issue and very emotional if you've had someone close to you have cancer.

As for Warlock they were reprinted in the 80's I believe with minor edits. I'm not sure what the issue is that's keeping it from being collected. I wound up just buying lower and mid grade copies of those from Blazing Bob and House of Comics. It was obviously more expensive then a trade but the art looks great and there is no current option for a TPB.

The Life and Death of Captain Marvel (25-34, Iron Man 55, Marvel Feature 12, Death of Captain Marvel OGN; w & a Jim Starlin)

marvel is also up to the second masterworks, so next one will be the starlin saga.

this has the good annual

The Greatest Battles of the Avengers (54-55, 79, 160, Annual 7, 10; w Roy Thomas, Jim Shooter, Jim Starlin, Chris Claremont; a John Buscema, George Pérez, Jim Starlin, Michael Golden).

There are some cheap starlin reprints of warlock and cap but they are comic sized. Not sure if the whole warlock/thanos bronze run is reprinted together.

Thanos

Starfox

Pip the Troll

Gamora

In-betweener

The Magus

Vanth Dreadstar

Syzygy Darklock

Oedi

Skeevo

The Weird

That Warlock Saga was great. I got into it in 1980 and tried to buy most of the issues. I also like Starlin's art though he has a tendency for "stocky" torsos.

Never been much of a "cosmic" Marvel universe guy (with exception of Infinity Gauntlet and Annihilation) but I know Starlin is like the architect of it beginning ..what in the Bronze age or so?

Look for some good Starlin reads to see what hes all about. Something I can get in HC form.

Also, is there a listing of the characters he's created? If not maybe a few fans on this board can shoot offhand some characters.

Thx!

Had to scrool down slowly.Was hoping he hadnt died.Thank god.

Dreadstar is another decent read

Here is wisdom:

What if Jim Starlin's name has been Jim Smith or Jim McDonald? Would he have been a legend in comics? Is that galactic sounding "Starlin" last name key to his success? lol

I personally found the Infinity Gauntlet to be a bit of a downer.

It seemed a little rushed, a little poorly thought out. It did not have the woven depth and sense of reality that his earlier work had...

That's just my opinion though.

BTW, I've always loved the way Starlin drew the strong, thick torsos.

:applause:

Also (and this may be due to the inker) the way he used his shadow and highlights in the Warlock saga was truly a thing of beauty...the Matriarch, Gomorrah, Pip, The Magus...they are looked truly fantastic and life like.

2c

Here is wisdom:

What if Jim Starlin's name has been Jim Smith or Jim McDonald? Would he have been a legend in comics? Is that galactic sounding "Starlin" last name key to his success? lol

He would be recognized as a great talent even if his name was something boring-sounding like..... Jack Kirby....

I personally found the Infinity Gauntlet to be a bit of a downer.

It seemed a little rushed, a little poorly thought out. It did not have the woven depth and sense of reality that his earlier work had...

That's just my opinion though.

BTW, I've always loved the way Starlin drew the strong, thick torsos.

:applause:

Also (and this may be due to the inker) the way he used his shadow and highlights in the Warlock saga was truly a thing of beauty...the Matriarch, Gomorrah, Pip, The Magus...they are looked truly fantastic and life like.

2c

:sorry:

Here is wisdom:

He would be recognized as a great talent even if his name was something boring-sounding like..... Jack Kirby....

To me it was his "galactic" artistry that was the biggest appeal....the guy could draw really nice stars...

Exhibit "A" :

69787.jpg.a8cabce6cb8947b0bf442098bb5959d9.jpg