• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there a way to fix an Overhang in order to slab ?

19 posts in this topic

I have had an issue where CGC returned a book due to an overhang. I have seen many other Golden age books that have the same problem. Can this be fixed? If the cover on the right (the whole side- opposite the spine) is an overhang? I had a thought that maybe (possibly) could work. Maybe someone can take a white (comic) backboard and slightly tape it to the interior cover right up to the edge where the overhang is. Would this still cause damage in the cgc case? Its only a thought.

I have had an issue where CGC returned a book due to an overhang. I have seen many other Golden age books that have the same problem. Can this be fixed? If the cover on the right (the whole side- opposite the spine) is an overhang? I had a thought that maybe (possibly) could work. Maybe someone can take a white (comic) backboard and slightly tape it to the interior cover right up to the edge where the overhang is. Would this still cause damage in the cgc case? Its only a thought.

:eek:

Tape would be out of the question, maybe a backing board cut to the right width (a little wider then the cover) and loosly inserted into the center of the comic so the backing board edge would stick out a little further then the cover to prevent the cover edge from hitting the cgc case. That might work.

Some people call Trimming a books death call. And putting it in a mylar wont extend its life as long as compared to cgc case.

I believe rjpb was just kidding about trimming the edge. And a fullback and 2/4 mil mylar will preserve your comic as well, if not better then the innershell of the CGC holder. The blunt edges of the holder can actually cause more harm when compared to how an oversized backing board takes the brunt of any possible impact.

Now if you plan on dropping it on the floor, the outershell of the rigid CGC holder can actually save a book from getting a blunted corner, but to say a mylar will not extend the life of a comic compared to a clamshell type holder is not entirely accurate.

Tape would be out of the question, maybe a backing board cut to the right width (a little wider then the cover) and loosly inserted into the center of the comic so the backing board edge would stick out a little further then the cover to prevent the cover edge from hitting the cgc case. That might work.

:gossip: unnecessary staple stress . . . :grin:

Some people call Trimming a books death call. And putting it in a mylar wont extend its life as long as compared to cgc case.

I believe rjpb was just kidding about trimming the edge. And a fullback and 2/4 mil mylar will preserve your comic as well, if not better then the innershell of the CGC holder. The blunt edges of the holder can actually cause more harm when compared to how an oversized backing board takes the brunt of any possible impact.

Now if you plan on dropping it on the floor, the outershell of the rigid CGC holder can actually save a book from getting a blunted corner, but to say a mylar will not extend the life of a comic compared to a clamshell type holder is not entirely accurate.

And that's the diplomatic way to put it. :sumo:

:gossip: unnecessary staple stress . . . :grin:

Staple stress? Kind of doubt that, no more staple stress then the spine hitting the other side of the case. imho

So the guys in CGC are not telling me the truth ??? A mylar can preserve a comics as well as a cgc case? The guys in CGC are saying they are 100% sure that a cgc case can give at least "ten more years of life than being raw" (dont want to say names here- but thats what I was told by a few people).

I have no idea if this is true or not, but a mate of mine found a write-up of 'facts' about CGC on Wikipedia. Here is one of them:

15. CGC recommends you get your books RE-SLABBED EVERY 7 YEARS because the microchamber paper becomes inert.

Can't see it myself, and of course it was a Wiki.

So the guys in CGC are not telling me the truth ??? A mylar can preserve a comics as well as a cgc case? The guys in CGC are saying they are 100% sure that a cgc case can give at least "ten more years of life than being raw" (dont want to say names here- but thats what I was told by a few people).

How would they know? They haven't even been around 10 years. A mylar may even do a better job by allowing some of the decay products to vent a little.

And, the CGC case does not provide a buffering agent, like you have with a premium fullback - I'd put my money on a properly stored Mylar (and in fact, I have) :sumo:

I only slab for re-sale or restoration check, or both :grin: And I often buy slabbed books because of the high level of trust they have established. :)

And, the CGC case does not provide a buffering agent, like you have with a premium fullback - I'd put my money on a properly stored Mylar (and in fact, I have) :sumo:

I only slab for re-sale or restoration check, or both :grin: And I often buy slabbed books because of the high level of trust they have established. :)

Well if we are going to trust CGc for restoration, why can we not trust the idea that a book secured in a CGC case would be safer and have longer life than a book in a mylar ? If they are pretty consistent with one major aspect of the business why not with the other?

Well if we are going to trust CGc for restoration, why can we not trust the idea that a book secured in a CGC case would be safer and have longer life than a book in a mylar ? If they are pretty consistent with one major aspect of the business why not with the other?

We all make our own choices. :)