• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How does signature affect value?

8 posts in this topic

Hi everyone...

I just had my Iron Man #1 signed at the Gene Colon event. Mid-range copy, value around $75-$125 I'd say, before signature. I need to estimate the value of this book for CGC payment and am wondering what effect the signature will have. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated as I've never dealt with this before.

Thanks!

PS My copy has a PGM post, pre-signature, if that helps, with estimates in the 5.0-6.5 range

Sorry, I assumed anyone cruising the signature forum would know about every signing opportunity, my bad.

The comic was sent to a CGC signature event that took place at Desert Wind Comics. The witness either has the book or has already subbed it to CGC, although my guess is it is still in their possession as I have not made any payment yet (which is why this post exists, to determine the value of the book so I can pay the correct amount).

Thanks again!

CGC has a portion of this site where you could ask and get a more straight answer, however, in my opinion the signature should not be a factor in the value and you should list the value you estimated before the signature was added.

A signature could actually be a detriment to many buyers, even if it is Stan Lee.

A tricky thing for sure.

How would one list a Mile High copy that had Edgar Church hand written on it? I have seen this before.

Hi everyone...

I just had my Iron Man #1 signed at the Gene Colon event. Mid-range copy, value around $75-$125 I'd say, before signature. I need to estimate the value of this book for CGC payment and am wondering what effect the signature will have. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated as I've never dealt with this before.

Thanks!

PS My copy has a PGM post, pre-signature, if that helps, with estimates in the 5.0-6.5 range

Value it at $75.

Hi everyone...

Thanks!

The value of the book for grading purposes does not take into account the signature prior to the grading. If you have a unslabbed book, then refer to the Overstreet Price grade. If the book has been previously graded then refer to the GPAnalyst web sitre for current pricing at what was the grade at the time you sent the book to the witness.

And just for your information Mackenzie, the signing is taking place tomorrow, so it has not been signed by Gene yet.

Chandler & Sharon Rice

Desert Wind Comics

Sorry, I assumed anyone cruising the signature forum would know about every signing opportunity, my bad.

The comic was sent to a CGC signature event that took place at Desert Wind Comics. The witness either has the book or has already subbed it to CGC, although my guess is it is still in their possession as I have not made any payment yet (which is why this post exists, to determine the value of the book so I can pay the correct amount).

Thanks again!

I didn't think one took place already. I know about the one tomorrow, at Lee's Comics, that Desertwind Comics will be helping with.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2733352#Post2733352

I'm pretty sure this was the one you are referring to.

A signature could actually be a detriment to many buyers, even if it is Stan Lee.

I agree, I generally have no interest in signatures that I did not get myself, but I've never owned a CGC book and this seemed like a way to bump up a lack-luster copy of a not terribly significant key.