• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Watchmen Covers

45 posts in this topic

Old news to some of you, probably, but I've just read that the Watchmen covers (#1 - 12) sold at Sotheby's 3rd comic art auction...in 1993...as a single lot. The estimate was $20-30K and the winning bidder paid $17,250.

Did the winning bidder keep the covers or have they drifted into the general OA-iverse? If they're out there, any idea of current value?

I say they'd be ~ 10-15k a piece myself too. The whole 'watchmen/alan moore/cover' thing and all but hell, that's one heck of a win out if you sold them.... 17k for 13.....13 x ~10k = $$$ profits $$$

lemme see, bought in 93.....17k, to say 130k in 15 years? that's certainly beating out any bank deposit! more than 10% p.a too!

lemme see, bought in 93.....17k, to say 130k in 15 years? that's certainly beating out any bank deposit! more than 10% p.a too!

Dow Jones Index has gone from approx 3754 to 8761. Up 233%

Watchmen art from 17k to 130k (?). That would be up 765% Nice!

I think if those covers were broken up the sale prices would blow most people away. Sure they don't appeal to everyone - but they're still Watchmen covers. There has to be more collectors than covers out there that are willing to pay a lot to have one framed up on the wall. I can't imagine what the cover to issue #1 would sell for. $15K? $25K? More? That image is the icon of the series, and the first image that comes to mind when most people think of Watchmen.

Dow Jones Index has gone from approx 3754 to 8761. Up 233%

Watchmen art from 17k to 130k (?). That would be up 765% Nice!

actually 133% vs 665%. You don't count the first 100%; its not an "increase" its the cost.

I was thinking that too. I think it would be easy to find someone willing to pay more than 10k for a cover though. Personally I find most of the interior pages pretty lacking in terms of artistic punch (although I like gibbons it certainly doesn't wow me), so I don't really see covers lacking in artistic punch as being much of a barrier. Let's face it this is not a series collected for the artwork itself.