• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moral compass!!!

53 posts in this topic

con

adjective, verb, conned, con⋅ning, noun Informal.

–adjective 1. involving abuse of confidence: a con trick.

–verb (used with object) 2. to swindle; trick: That crook conned me out of all my savings.

3. to persuade by deception, cajolery, etc.

–noun 4. a confidence game or swindle.

5. a lie, exaggeration, or glib self-serving talk: He had a dozen different cons for getting out of paying traffic tickets.

Con, conscience, or concious.

Bottom line. Do what you want with your own money in the way of charity or forthrightness. Do not lie. Do not steal and do not fraud in your business dealings. Then you will have done your duty. For sure, some go beyond the call of duty. Some do their duty and some do not.

Doing your duty (ie: not lieing, stealing or commiting fraud through deception) is acceptable and no more should be expected of a person. Do more if that is what you are "made of", but do not look down on those that do not go "beyound the call of duty". Not everyone is a hero (or as some might say, an "insufficiently_thoughtful_person").

Sure would be a boring world if we all thought alike.

I'm going to have to misspell stuff more often... :applause:

hey arch, whats say you don't and we'll all pretend you did :whistle:

It's ArAich not arch.... :makepoint:

sorry buddy, must've mispelt it! :sorry:

You're going to have to misspell stuff more often... :applause:

so im now official back into collecting....i gave him a bit more than i though i was gonna do, and paid for gas etc.....only looked at 54 - 140, 252, 298, 299 and 300 and graded on those alone....there's some really nice stuff in the late 100's early 200's though (9.4 - 9.8's)......really nice run....so im happy, and i gave him a bit of extra cash so i don't feel guilty...

so im now official back into collecting....i gave him a bit more than i though i was gonna do, and paid for gas etc.....only looked at 54 - 140, 252, 298, 299 and 300 and graded on those alone....there's some really nice stuff in the late 100's early 200's though (9.4 - 9.8's)......really nice run....so im happy, and i gave him a bit of extra cash so i don't feel guilty...

I'll give you five times what you paid for the #300 lol

I'll give you five times what you paid for the #300 lol

the 300's a 9.4 at best, more likely a 9.2......i paid seperatly for the 129, 252, 298, 299 and 300..........they were the big hitters cos of the grade......

but thanks for the offer :kidaround:

Sounds like you did the right thing. I guess he felt better that he got offered more then $1.00 per book. Sucks getting hit with hard times. Been there done that, do it again some day. But when you are in the position to give an extra nudge to someone in a rutt, you just gotta feel better knowing you tried.

Sounds like you did the right thing. I guess he felt better that he got offered more then $1.00 per book. Sucks getting hit with hard times. Been there done that, do it again some day. But when you are in the position to give an extra nudge to someone in a rutt, you just gotta feel better knowing you tried.

yeah, gave him a lot more than $1 a comic in the end....

you know what suprised me though...i threw a couple of dealers names out there that i know of (not know personally) sugesting he take the comics to them first, for possibly a better price. one of the dealers is the same he bought most of he comics off over the past 15 years....$30 here, $25 dollars there, you know how it is when you collect. he said he'd been to these dealers and told me some of the number that were thrown in his face in disguise of genuine offers. i was shocked and i won't be doing business with them in the future...bad drills...

you know what suprised me though...i threw a couple of dealers names out there that i know of (not know personally) sugesting he take the comics to them first, for possibly a better price. one of the dealers is the same he bought most of he comics off over the past 15 years....$30 here, $25 dollars there, you know how it is when you collect. he said he'd been to these dealers and told me some of the number that were thrown in his face in disguise of genuine offers. i was shocked and i won't be doing business with them in the future...bad drills...

That is the unfortunate truth to this hobby. And while I dont buy collections (i generally buy sporadicly here). The average is about 25-30% of a collections value, after that is based then the keys which are generally seperated may be paid as high as 70-75% MAYBE 80%. And while dealers have to make money, I think this makes people very sad about their years of faithful purchases. So you probably helped the guy out in more then finance, probably made him feel better about what he collected.

Good for you. We get the opportunity to do the right thing many times, but often we don't act on it appropriately. It's good to see that your personal goal didn't interfere with your respect for your fellow human being. For that BRAVO :applause:

ok, slight furtherence....i got two copies of 252......my seventeen month old just tore one up!!! so i know this isn't a sales thread, but does anyone want to buy a nm- seventeen month old girl??? she'd be a nm+ if not for the 666 birthmark behind her left ear!!!

:jokealert: before anyone calls social services on me!!!!