• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newbie - Watchmen series

15 posts in this topic

Hello-

I've been reading a lot of the posts on these message boards and I was hoping to get some advice and get a better understanding of this process. I have a few boxes of comics that I bought when they came out when I was younger and that I put directly into bags with boards. I have noticed that with the movie coming out people are selling Watchmen #1 CGC 9.8 for over $400. I have this whole series and I've never read them. I know the grading process is exceptionally stringent but these copies look great to me. There is a tiny tear in the bottom left corner of #1 (of course) but I read on this forum that you can have up to 4 defects like that as long as the spine and staples and everything else are great and still be 9.8. My question is how I determine if it's worth grading these or not. I'm assuming that because my eye is untrained that these are not in as perfect shape as they seem to me. That being said, what would be the best way to determine if I should get them graded? Should I take them to a comic shop and get advice?

Also, any idea of the values of these at 9.8 or 9.4/6?

Lastly, if I were to inventory my books and post a list, would the members here be willing to look it over and see if anything else may be worth grading? I assume there is nothing outstanding as my collection isn't very large, but again any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Welcome to the boards!

Somewhat of a noob myself but here's something I did.

1. Get a scanner (I bought a good one for $12)

2. Scan the books and put them in the "spare a grade" section.

3. Continue to read msgs and replies; a lot of answers I found not by asking questions, but by reading responses on the boards from people w/ similar questions.

Honestly, a lot of boardies LIVE this hobby; yes they make $, but most on here love the hobby itself, and the profit comes naturally from that. Hope I'm making sense.

There are many sites out there that gives market values of books; you can find that info yourself w/ no problem.

Good luck! (thumbs u

You can only have two, I mean very tiny flaws like 1/8th inch to make a 9.8. No finger prints on those Watchmens back covers, no scratches or dents. A 9.6 for a 1 is bringing slightly under $100.00. A near perfect Watchmen 1's can have that lower corner bindery corner sliced, it has to be very small like 1/8 inch or so. If its a 1/4 inch will knock it instantly down to 9.6.

In the last census update, the population of 9.8s for the Watchmen series exploded. The current lowest number is 38 for a 9.8 of #9. Watchmen #1 adds about 20 new 9.8s a month so the $400 average will come down considerably after the movie releases, if not sooner. The 9.8 numbers for a slew of the rarer issues (including #4, #8, #10, and #11) went up by an average of 16.

I was lucky enough to sell off my dupes for pretty high prices during the summer. I'm fairly certain that the profits made over the summer of '08 will not be seen ever again with this recent explosion. Unless you have spot-on 9.8s, I would save some time & money and just buy them off eBay.

You can only have two, I mean very tiny flaws like 1/8th inch to make a 9.8. No finger prints on those Watchmens back covers, no scratches or dents. A 9.6 for a 1 is bringing slightly under $100.00. A near perfect Watchmen 1's can have that lower corner bindery corner sliced, it has to be very small like 1/8 inch or so. If its a 1/4 inch will knock it instantly down to 9.6.

Pay attention to what the 9.8 modern master says - I have a feeling most of the new 9.8 watchmen's belong to topnotch (thumbs u

Pay attention to what the 9.8 modern master says - I have a feeling most of the new 9.8 watchmen's belong to topnotch (thumbs u

While I'm certain some are his, I would doubt that most of them are. I've paid close attention to the census over the last two years and I think he's been much more methodical in adding to the census. I think this December's increase is due to a bunch of dealers looking to cash in on the movie before it comes out. I imagine the next few months will continue this trend.

I actually subbed most of my remainder last summer. So the new ones are not at my house. I did get some 3's and 7's again, all the 1,8,9,10,11 spendy ones I'm sold out of. The price will definately go up here as the movie gets closer, I would say its a low spot right now. Last spring the price was low and it doubled in the summer when the trailer hit the Batman film. Trying to find high grade at conventions was almost impossible this summer. Maybe one here and there, no jackpots sitting in the dollar boxes for sure. The movie looks like its going to be a hit, so prices will spike for sure.

what was it, 2 years ago probably? that you could get the whole set in 2 dollar bins?

(thumbs u

I bought 4 copies of Watchmen #1 on eBay in 2004, shipped to me for a grand total of $16.

I sent all four to CGC and got a CGC 9.2 and (3) CGC 9.6.

Not bad for about $80 total. (thumbs u