• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Famed Political Cartoonist - OA

14 posts in this topic

I am very excited to have acquired these original art pieces drawn by political cartoonist Max. P. Millians. Millians is known primarily for his political cartoons - many of which were published in the Washington Post, Fall River Papper, Jewish Standard and many others. He also created many famous posters in the 1950's dealing with social issues from the Korean War to drought relief.

The final group consists of larger drawings ranging from 17 X 13 inches to 21-1/2 X 16 inches, and were published in the Washington Post.

202962152_o.jpg

My favorite of the bunch, although I'm not sure I understand it. Apparently an incomplete image -- "Cut off this area" to the upper right. I wonder what the big-headed character (planet?) is looking at.

Jack

The first group features local boxing events to take place in Washington DC during the year 1951. Cartoons were done for the Washington Time-Herald and features local boxers going against european fighters.

202972102_o.jpg

I believe that Ingmar was once the heavy weight champion after defeating Floyd Patterson.

That is a good representation of him.

He also made some movies in Hollywood at about that time (1959-1960).

bb

202962122_o.jpg

My favorite is this one with the strip characters commenting on and boosting the campaign. (thumbs u

It doesn't look like the strip characters were pasted in. (Am I missing it?) Are they all from the same syndicate? (Probably) They're all dead-on, except maybe Blondie and Dagwood, but that might be changing style on the strip fooling me.

Do you think that this was a "jam" piece, or was Millians an amazing mimic?

Jack

I am very excited to have acquired these original art pieces drawn by political cartoonist Max. P. Millians. Millians is known primarily for his political cartoons - many of which were published in the Washington Post, Fall River Papper, Jewish Standard and many others. He also created many famous posters in the 1950's dealing with social issues from the Korean War to drought relief.

Very cool, Sardo! :applause:

The first group features local boxing events to take place in Washington DC during the year 1951. Cartoons were done for the Washington Time-Herald and features local boxers going against european fighters.

202972102_o.jpg

I believe that Ingmar was once the heavy weight champion after defeating Floyd Patterson.

That is a good representation of him.

He also made some movies in Hollywood at about that time (1959-1960).

bb

Good call. From Wikipedia:

He defeated Floyd Patterson to win the World Heavyweight Championship. As a result, Johansson won the Hickok Belt as top professional athlete of the year in 1959 and was named the Associated Press Male Athlete of the Year and Sports Illustrated magazine's "Sportsman of the Year". Johansson's introduction to the sport's limelight was inauspicious. He was disqualified for running from the eventual Olympic gold medalist, Ed Sanders during the final of the 1952 Helsinki heavyweight competition. Johansson maintained he was not fleeing Sanders, but rather was trying to tire his huge opponent for a planned third round onslaught. Nevertheless, his silver medal was withheld for this poor performance, but he was presented with the medal in 1982.

Johansson enjoyed a successful career as a heavyweight. He retired in 1963 with a record of 26 wins, 17 by KO, and only 2 losses, and was named to the Ring Magazine's list of 100 greatest punchers of all time. In August 1955, in his twelfth professional fight, Johansson knocked out former European Heavyweight Champion Hein Ten Hoff in the first round. He won the European Heavyweight championship by scoring a 13 round KO over Italian title holder Franco Cavicchi on September 30, 1956. Johansson successfully defended his European Crown against ranked heavyweights Henry Cooper (5th round KO on May 19, 1957}, and Joe Erskine, whom he TKOed in 13 on February 21, 1958. Johansson earned his shot at the world heavyweight crown when he KOed top ranked contender Eddie Machen in the first round of their elimination match on September 14, 1958. Johansson then signed to fight champion Floyd Patterson. Johansson was a colorful figure in New York as he trained for the fight. Eschewing the monastic training regimen favored by Patterson and other fighters, Johansson trained at the Catskill resort of Grossingers. He didn't seem to train particularly hard, and was often seen at night spots with his attractive "secretary." Accordingly, he entered the ring on June 26, 1959 as a 5-1 underdog.

Johansson spent the first two rounds of the encounter retreating and flicking a light left jab at the champion. In the third round, Johansson threw a wide left hook that Patterson blocked with his right hand. When he moved his right hand away from its protective peek-a-boo position before his chin, Johansson drilled him with a short powerful right hand. Patterson went down, arose on unsteady legs and was out on his feet. Johansson followed up his advantage and sent Patterson down 6 more times in the round before the bout was stopped by referee Ruby Goldstein. The two signed for a rematch on June 20, 1960. Patterson knocked Johansson out in the fifth round with a leaping left hook to become the first man to recover the world's undisputed heavyweight title. The punch caught Johansson's chin and he hit the canvas with a thud, out cold before he landed flat on his back. With blood trickling from his mouth, his glazed eyes staring up at the ring lights, and his left foot twitching the Swede was counted out. After the count, Patterson showed his concern for Johansson by cradling his motionless opponent, and promising him a second rematch. Johansson lay flat on his back on the canvas for five minutes before he was placed on a stool brought into the ring. He was still dazed and unsteady fifteen minutes after the knockout as he was helped out of the ring.

Johansson, before his third fight against Patterson, sparred against the young and brash Cassius Clay (future Muhammad Ali and 3-time Heavyweight Champion of the World) who was then 18 years old and had only six professional bouts. Patterson and Johansson fought once more on March 13, 1961. Although Johansson appeared to be in the worst physical condition of his three bouts with Patterson, he caught Patterson leaping at him in the very first round and knocked him down. He followed his advantage up by scoring another knockdown, but was himself caught going in wide open by a Patterson left hook that knocked him down. As the fight progressed, it became obvious that Johansson had shot his bolt. Patterson eventually knocked him out in round six.

Johansson then returned to Europe, and recaptured the European crown from Richardson by an eight round KO on June 17, 1962. By this time Sonny Liston had captured the heavyweight crown from Patterson, and efforts were underway to match Johansson with Liston. Johansson, however, fought journeyman heavyweight Brian London on April 21, 1963, in a non-title twelve-round match. Johansson won most of the eleven preceding rounds but in round twelve with four seconds remaining in the fight London tagged Johansson with a powerful right hand that knocked him down flat on his back. Johansson arose at the count of four just as the bell rang to end the fight. It is widely believed that Johansson was out cold or on his back but the film of this fight clearly illustrates Ingo was upright but groggy at the sound of the bell. London congratulated Johansson on the decision but Johansson wisely never fought again.

The final group consists of larger drawings ranging from 17 X 13 inches to 21-1/2 X 16 inches, and were published in the Washington Post.

202962152_o.jpg

My favorite of the bunch, although I'm not sure I understand it. Apparently an incomplete image -- "Cut off this area" to the upper right. I wonder what the big-headed character (planet?) is looking at.

Jack

This is my favorite as well. Kind of Daliesque.

Very cool, Sardo! :applause:

Thanks (thumbs u