• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2009...1 to 365!

12,875 posts in this topic

... and our daily dose of Fight -

74559.jpg

What the heck is wrong with today's Fight?

GCD:

Iger Shop (Tiger Girl); Joe Doolin (man & elephant) (Pencils) Iger Shop (Tiger Girl); Joe Doolin (man & elephant) (Inks) ? (Colors) ? (Letters)

Aha! Very clumsy Tiger Girl (in my opinion) compared to the other issues we've seen -- especially the legs. Her left leg looks crippled. She'd fall right over!

Unlike some of the bright examples you've posted lately, this one seems to have the classic Fiction House selective ink fading too.

Still a copy that I'd be glad to have!

Jack

hm I was thinking the exact opposite...that this was a particularly sexy picture of Tiger Girl!

Seems almost like he was trying to emulate Matt Baker's style and didn't quite succeed:

phantomlady.jpg

Aha! Very clumsy Tiger Girl (in my opinion) compared to the other issues we've seen -- especially the legs. Her left leg looks crippled. She'd fall right over!

Unlike some of the bright examples you've posted lately, this one seems to have the classic Fiction House selective ink fading too.

She strikes a very similar pose on the cover of # 61 which is much more successful rendered. Let's talk back about it in a week or so.

:frustrated: Why did you have to remind me that, yes, despite my best effort to pick up copies with good colors (tricky with Fiction House books as we know), I didn't succeed with this one. At least the # 50 was good. Recall you commented on the colors on that one. Here's a comparison of 2 copies that were on eBay at the same time I bid and bought the one on the right, the lower grade with much better colors. I even kept both scans for reference -

74575.jpg.a75b1e843e918e0e3f9e38f7f522caaa.jpg

74576.jpg.2327c593e12e0b31e76aa5b304037020.jpg

... and our daily dose of Fight -

74559.jpg

GCD:

Iger Shop (Tiger Girl); Joe Doolin (man & elephant) (Pencils) Iger Shop (Tiger Girl); Joe Doolin (man & elephant) (Inks) ? (Colors) ? (Letters)

Still a copy that I'd be glad to have!

Jack

hm I was thinking the exact opposite...that this was a particularly sexy picture of Tiger Girl!

Seems almost like he was trying to emulate Matt Baker's style and didn't quite succeed:

phantomlady.jpg

Excellent comparison! And look how "Iger Shop" hid her toes so he didn't have to draw them. The ankles and feet are especially ungraceful, to my eyes.

Jack

I'd put the Porcupine on a list of ten silliest villians. :D

TTA53.jpg

OH, yes! He was even in the League of Lame-o Villains in X-Men 22-23 (?), right?

In the same old, boring apartment but Porcupine rearranged the furniture, the scoundrel!

It's almost like Stan and the gang WANTED Giant-Man to fail.

Jack

I haven't hardly touched my DC Romance books....

Glove53.jpg

Keep touchin' 'em!

So melodramatic with Gordon and the bride's body language, shocking red background and all. Even the "National Romance Group" colophon.

Great, seldom seen covers.

Jack

The 80's...

DcComicsPresents53.jpg

Wonderfully goofy cover! The monsters sticking out of the windows have more the effect of kids in Halloween costumes than scary. The mummy looks like a Muppet. Maybe that's why DCCP worked (for me) better than other Superman books in the 80s -- didn't take itself too seriously.

Jack

She strikes a very similar pose on the cover of # 61 which is much more successful rendered. Let's talk back about it in a week or so.

We have a date!

:frustrated: Why did you have to remind me that, yes, despite my best effort to pick up copies with good colors (tricky with Fiction House books as we know), I didn't succeed with this one.

It's in my contract.

At least the # 50 was good. Recall you commented on the colors on that one. Here's a comparison of 2 copies that were on eBay at the same time I bid and bought the one on the right, the lower grade with much better colors. I even kept both scans for reference -

Yes, you have way more hits than misses on the notoriously faded Fiction House colors. Most of my (few) issues have the problem big-time. I'll keep (worship) the bright ones!

Jack

My very own Wonder Woman 53, bought from ciorac last year. The famous William Moulton Marston lie detector cover.

wonderwoman53.jpg

Yes, it's the gray trunks variant cover. Maybe that's why I was thinking about faded inks today. Here's how it's supposed to look. skypinkblu's copy maybe.

WonderWoman53slab.jpg

Blue Beetle 53. Who else is cheeky enough to post Charltons here?

bluebeetle53.jpg

G. I. Combat 53. Have we already seen a better copy?

GIC53.jpg

I found a Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen 53 scan on my disk, but I'm not sure whether it's my own copy. Very nostalgic cover for me -- I remember the first time I read it when visiting my aunt's family in Lakewood, OH. No good reason to post mine since we've seen a better one already.

I do have a Metal Men 53 scan on my disk (file mislabeled at 55), but it's a recent duplicate, not my "nice" copy.

metal550001.jpg

A fun element page from Leading Screen Comics 53. I don't even have the issue according to my list. Did someone here scan it for me? Scrooge probably.

LeadingScreen53Story4Pages.jpg

Jack

Jack,

Do you have all the issues of Legion of Super-Heroes with Element Lad? :banana:

Of course! At least I think so. Even decent copies of some of them. I think this is a grainy old scan of my own Adventure Comics 323, probably his best cover appearance.

element_lad.gif

Element Lad at PToCB

LSH continuity is so convoluted that I don't know whether there is a version in recent times. Does anyone know? He was Alchemist for a while, right? I pick Legion up habitually from cheapo bins but rarely get around to reading them.

Jack