• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2009...1 to 365!

12,875 posts in this topic

Who is Sid Caesar abd why is he mentioned on so many ealry Mad covers?

He was a popular jack-of-all-trades entertainer in the 50's and he hosted a couple of the first TV shows that were broadcast. He wrote occasional satires for Mad, which are a bit dated today. If memory serves me, he played a coach in the movie Grease.

Who is Sid Caesar abd why is he mentioned on so many ealry Mad covers?

He was a popular jack-of-all-trades entertainer in the 50's and he hosted a couple of the first TV shows that were broadcast. He wrote occasional satires for Mad, which are a bit dated today. If memory serves me, he played a coach in the movie Grease.

You got it. Sid was one of the greatest TV comdey writers and was a huge star in the the early days of TV with "Your Show of Shows." He was the featured performer but other writers included Mel Brooks, Neil Simon, Larry Gelbart, and Carl Reiner. Not surprising the show was a hit.

74857.jpg.662888026134340befd4cd244dcdf5e1.jpg

My copy of Mystery In Space #56
Another awesome MIS Tony D. Did you purchase these off the stands also?

No, these earlier issues of Mystery In Space were bought as back issues. They have been in my collection for almost 40 years.

Kneel before Zog...ZOG!

JIM_56.jpg

(worship) Zog, the Unbelievable!

Question. Who named these Marvel monsters? I don't mean what creator named them. I mean in the stories, why is it that these monsters always have names? How come when one of these guys springs out of an iceberg, or out of a mountain, they come with a moniker attached.

John, the DC fan

My copy of Mystery In Space #56
Another awesome MIS Tony D. Did you purchase these off the stands also?

No, these earlier issues of Mystery In Space were bought as back issues. They have been in my collection for almost 40 years.

You sure found some nice ones!

Kneel before Zog...ZOG!

JIM_56.jpg

Question. Who named these Marvel monsters? I don't mean what creator named them. I mean in the stories, why is it that these monsters always have names? How come when one of these guys springs out of an iceberg, or out of a mountain, they come with a moniker attached.

John, the DC fan

The noise they make when they pop out of the iceberg?

ZO-o-o-GGGGGG!!!

Name tags?

Hi, I'm Zog and I'll be your server tonight.

Jack

Kneel before Zog...ZOG!

JIM_56.jpg

John, the DC fan

Well, the monster's name is usually revealed by one of the following:

1) If its an intelligent monster (alien, underground race, microscopic world, etc.) they will promptly tell us their name when they first appear.

2) If they are a true beastie (cant talk) they are usually named by some local naitive after a legendary god or monster.

3) If the monster is brought back to life or awakened out of a centuries of slumber, a scroll or some ancient artifact will reveal the monsters name

4) The scientist who creates the creature will sometimes name the creatues (quite rare).

So there you have it. In the case of Zog, he was an alien who told us his name.

Bill