• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cerebus #1 Counterfeit CGC 8.0 White Pages *REDUCED*

21 posts in this topic

I've gotten some great books from this forum.. so now it's time to give back. 'Tis the season, right? Haven't done much selling on the boards yet.. but here's my ebay w/ 100% feedback: http://myworld.ebay.com/cheezywhiz/

CEREBUS #1 COUNTERFEIT - CGC 8.0 @ $135 $125 SHIPPED*

This has got to be the best presenting 8.0 you can find. It looks as nice in the slab as my 9.4 copy. There is only ONE color-breaking crease in the middle of the spine that you can see in the photos. The book's main flaws are some non-creasing bends in the FLLC and the vertically on back cover. I added some pre-slabbing photos so you can see what I'm talking about. You can barely see these bends now that the book is slabbed. This book has been pressed.

A 6.0 raw sold on ebay this week for $66. A CGC 9.0 sold for $200 in Sept.

Payment by PayPal only.. due immediately. (I'm leaving for the holidays at the end of the week and I want to ship this off right away.)

* Shipping w/ insurance to Continental US is FREE. Canada, and non-Continental US will be a little extra.

Cerebus1COUNTERFEITCCGClabel.jpg

Cerebus1COUNTERFEITCCGCfront.jpg

Cerebus1COUNTERFEITCCGCback.jpg

Cerebus1COUNTERFEITCfrontafter.jpg

Cerebus1COUNTERFEITCbackafter.jpg

From another thread.. but seemed appropriate for this thread too:

Curious as to what is with the "counterfeit" book, have never heard of this per se...is this something common to this issue? And why wouldn't CGC just reject grading it and return it with that comment rather than grading and encapsulating it? (shrug)

Some background info on the counterfeit:

http://rogerowengreen.blogspot.com/2007/05/cerebus-1-counterfeit.html

And some more trivia from a board member:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2635852#Post2635852

The letter from Deni Sim on the inside cover of Cerebus 32 (I think.. or around that issue.. 1982ish) describes their reaction to discovering the counterfeits. They are tough to find in high grade (just like the real thing). I heard that Dave Sim will (or used to) sign Cerebus counterfeit books but would forge the signature of another artist.. like "Here's a fake signature to go with your fake #1 -Frank Frazetta"

It's a part of comic history now.. and especially cool if you are a Cerebus collector.

Ok, I can't stand it anymore . . . I have to ask the obvious question: How do we know it's not a counterfeit-Counterfeit??? :insane:

Wouldn't CGC refuse to slab it? The original counterfeits had very recognizable traits, and CGC slabs these because of the history of the whole Cerebus counterfeiting brouhaha. That's what I've read anyway.

Ok, I can't stand it anymore . . . I have to ask the obvious question: How do we know it's not a counterfeit-Counterfeit??? :insane:

Wouldn't CGC refuse to slab it? The original counterfeits had very recognizable traits, and CGC slabs these because of the history of the whole Cerebus counterfeiting brouhaha. That's what I've read anyway.

(shrug) Why? A rose is a rose is a rose . . .

:gossip: Read the label - they are essentially certifying only the grade and that it's a fake. (No disrespect intended to the seller.)

:lol: it's an actual real 100% genuine.. er, counterfeit.

Divad, where did you get your new avatar icon? I like the style. (and I can't say I'm sad to see Frank Z go.. He kept lookin at me funny. Now if only PhiGam would change his Bobby Fisher..)

Divad, where did you get your new avatar icon? I like the style. (and I can't say I'm sad to see Frank Z go.. He kept lookin at me funny. Now if only PhiGam would change his Bobby Fisher..)

Found it one night when I was googlin' Veronica :whistle: It's an awesome water ink on an inside page of a French text - I'd love to own it, but I can't imagine finding it - so I have to live with a mega scan :cloud9:

(tsk)

I'll NEVER change my Fischer icon!! Fischer was GOD (at least on the lovely 64 squares). Just bc he went crazy doesn't...well...nevermind.

i will visit his grave someday...i always wanted to go to iceland, anyway (:

btw...post a nice pic of your 9.4 cerebus slab you got from me :whistle: i'd like to see it again, my collection misses it and the AS #1 :)

:takeit:

Nice piece of provenance.

nice pickup!! :headbang:

I second that emotion! :applause:

If not for the huge sale that was going on in the Goon eBay store this week, I would have been all over this. Great piece of history and congrats to both buyer and seller!

(tsk)

I'll NEVER change my Fischer icon!! Fischer was GOD (at least on the lovely 64 squares). Just bc he went crazy doesn't...well...nevermind.

i will visit his grave someday...i always wanted to go to iceland, anyway (:

btw...post a nice pic of your 9.4 cerebus slab you got from me :whistle: i'd like to see it again, my collection misses it and the AS #1 :)

I play chess, too (online @ redhotpawn.com). FIsher was a genius on the chessboard.. but a complete nut-job everywhere else. I appreciate him as the legend he was, but there's just something about that shot of him in your profile photo.. sitting on a slant, head tilted.. just screams 'cocky'. ;)

(On a side note.. I play chess sometimes outdoors at Stuyvesant Town in NYC.. Grandmaster Lombardy pops by occasionally. He was 2nd to Fisher in the World Chess Championship match against Boris Spassky in 1972. He never plays a game himself.. just comments on everyone elses'.)

Here's the 9.4. Won't be getting rid of this any time soon.. unless I can manage to find a 9.6. :)

Cerebus1COUNTERFEITACGCfront.jpg