• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Conan the Barbarian

92 posts in this topic

After some searching, I noticed we don't have an official thread dedicated to the one of the most notable Bronze Age comic titles/characters: Conan!

I'm a recent convert to Conan though I had held on to the idea of collecting up 1-25 for some time before I finally began the collection. Barry Smith's art is great, and while I can appreciate some people's claims that he follows Kirby's style, his work is smoother to me and distinct enough that I feel like I'm getting something different. And the stories great. I forget sometimes how nice it is to have an issue where the story can satisfactorily start and end all at once. :cloud9:

Anyhow, let's here about your favorite story arcs, issues, etc!

Barry Smith following Kirby? Never heard that one! He's about as unique as it gets.

Here's everyone's favorite Conan cover...and mine too.

Conan24.jpg

Second to Smith, classic Buscema Conan on this one. He had a totally different take on Conan, of course: giant and burly vs. fast and lithe. Both "takes" worked, imo.

Too bad that much of Buscema's work was kind of spoiled by bad inking (Ernie Chua). This cover is pure Buscema!

Conan96.jpg

Barry Smith following Kirby? Never heard that one! He's about as unique as it gets.

I think everyone up to and including Barry Smith would agree in his early years he was aping Kirby. Heck, that was practically a requirement to get work at Marvel in the mid-1960s.

He got better though...

I think everyone up to and including Barry Smith would agree in his early years he was aping Kirby. Heck, that was practically a requirement to get work at Marvel in the mid-1960s.

He got better though...

I've heard that about Steranko, but not about Smith. But yes, everything was in the Marvel Style then, and the "style" was Kirby.

Even early on Smith was creative with his panel layouts, which set him apart. Plus, he was usually being inked by a standard Marvel inker, which probably added to the Marvel effect.

Still...I can't help but look at Smith's artwork and find something uniquely different about it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking Kirby whatsoever. I just think Smith's art on Conan definitely stands on its own (even if there is a slight Kirby-esque thumb print on it ;) ).

And I do like the cover to 24...though 23 is actually Red Sonja's 1st appearance, correct? Tough call as to which is my favorite... possibly the window frame cover with Elric (14?).

Agreed. Smith's work matured pretty quickly. The heavy Kirby influence is obvious in his earliest work for Marvel (X-Men, Daredevil, etc.), but it didn't take him long to find his own signature style on Conan, and he obviously never looked back. As with Steranko's work, King Kirby was the starting point for a unique artistic journey, not the destination.

I interviewed Barry Smith once years ago when he was doing work for Valiant. It was like talking to a Rock star. He's also a pretty heavy dude in a New Agey/philosophical way. Artists! Gotta love 'em!

#1 - 100 or so are mostly written by Thomas, I think. He was then off the title for most of the 1980s while he was working for DC, but then came back to it in the '90s. I'm pretty sure he wrote the last few issues as well.

Agreed. Smith's work matured pretty quickly. The heavy Kirby influence is obvious in his earliest work for Marvel (X-Men, Daredevil, etc.), but it didn't take him long to find his own signature style on Conan, and he obviously never looked back. As with Steranko's work, King Kirby was the starting point for a unique artistic journey, not the destination.

I interviewed Barry Smith once years ago when he was doing work for Valiant. It was like talking to a Rock star. He's also a pretty heavy dude in a New Agey/philosophical way. Artists! Gotta love 'em!

What did you interview him for? I mean, what publication?

When did Roy Thomas leave the title? As much as I enjoy the art, the stories also good to read so I could probably consider extending the run a little more to cover some of his work.

I've always enjoyed Roy Thomas' writing! :sumo:

What did you interview him for? I mean, what publication?

Diamond's Previews catalog...

Here are a few more cool Conan threads for Barbarians to peruse...

Long Conan thread including pics of Conan Weird Tales from Theagenes

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2037005

My Conan WTB thread. I am attempting to collect every Conan comic published.

Already have a full run of CtB, closing in on SSOC, and need a few more random issues as well

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1709435

HAIL CROM!