• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Phantom Lady 17

24 posts in this topic

I need some help on this one. Any and all assistance appreciated! It has a super tiny chip glued on the top corner...barely noticeable. It also has a tear that extends into the A.

What do you all think?

PL17a.jpg

PL17back.jpg

I'm hoping for a 4.5. I think a 3.0 seems a little low. The debate is about the corner chip. If it's a super small thing maybe CGC might just note it on the label. But, to get a purple label for smething so small..I'd rather take it off.

To me this book looks closer to a 4.0 than a 3.0, although the spine looks pretty weak from the back scan. It's got nice eye appeal...although it would be hard for this issue to have bad eye appeal. :)

"girl" but I'll forgive you :)

Thanks for posting your scans, helps give me some ideas. I'm hoping for a 4.5 but maybe a 4.0 might be it. I think that big tear on the A could kill the grade...shame.

So you're the guy that snagged this off Ebay! Congrats. Here are my two. First is a qualified 4.0 (also with chip replacement and tape repairs) and second a 4.0.

phantom_lady17fc.JPG

phantom_lady17.JPG

I'd take 3.0 Phantom Ladys like this all day. Especially if discounted lol:insane:

This is one of those books where the structural grade may be a 3 or 3.5, but the apparent grade is much higher

And this is one of those books where you price the book much more according to eye appeal than structural grade. It is still a great, pretty book. Just not really a book to get slabbed in my opinion.

I need some help on this one. Any and all assistance appreciated! It has a super tiny chip glued on the top corner...barely noticeable. It also has a tear that extends into the A.

What do you all think?

I almost bid on that book lol

I got the claire voyant from the same seller :grin:

Congrats (thumbs u

Superb eye appeal - but a tear that big would probably keep it under 4.0. I'd leave the chip unless you were going to slab it. Personally - I'd leave the book raw.

I doubt it. I had a Mister Mystery 13 graded Universal 5.5 - sorry - make that 5.0 - that had a tear in the back cover about 3/4" and in the middle of the spine a "spiderweb tear" that branched out well over 1/2" in three directions.

The glue may be small enough to pass the GA barrier. But forget about the bit of glue. Yes, there is a largish tear. But 3.0? I think that just does not hack it. The cover of this book with its attendant spine creases etc was pretty damned close to my 5.5 that had the two sets of tears. The book, at least form the sacn, has a rahter nice midgrade spine and a good lack of typical GA defects from a book that has obviously been read and handled. Where is this 3.0 coming from?

Superb eye appeal - but a tear that big would probably keep it under 4.0. I'd leave the chip unless you were going to slab it. Personally - I'd leave the book raw.

I doubt it. I had a Mister Mystery 13 graded Universal 5.5 that had a tear in the back cover about 3/4" and in the middle of the spine a "spiderweb tear" that branched out well over 1/2" in three directions.

The glue may be small enough to pass the GA barrier. But forget about the bit of glue. Yes, there is a largish tear. But 3.0? I think that just does not hack it. The cover of this book with its attendant spine creases etc was pretty damned close to my 5.5 that had the two sets of tears. The book, at least form the sacn, has a rahter nice midgrade spine and a good lack of typical GA defects from a book that has obviously been read and handled. Where is this 3.0 coming from?

Given the other wear on the book it looks around a 5.0 without the tear. So how much would you deduct? I agree 3.0 is to harsh - 3.5 was my pick - but I'd go 4.0 before 3.0 - regardless, eye-appeal trumps in this grade range (unless a book is brittle) - and I would take this copy over many a 4.0 blue label for the same money. I don't think I'm alone - which is why I'd leave the book raw - even for resale - after all a book isn't actually a PLOD until it's slabbed.