• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone remember The Dragon's Lair in Dayton, Ohio???

32 posts in this topic

I really liked it when the Bookery used to come to the Motor City Show. I would always buy something from them and found the grading and pricing very fair and accurate. It's been a number of years though since they pulled out. It's too far away for a trip for me. (About 3 hours.)

There is no better place to pick up accurately graded and (very often undergraded) Bronze, Silver and Gold in a two or three hundred mile radius. They also are always buying and often have a great stock of Independents and sweet Copper. Plus they really don't understand nor do they like slabbing so :banana: no cherry picking of the slabbable copies.

When I was a kid in the 80's they used to travel through Kansas City and set up in the middle of the mall. I never had any idea of when they would be there so if I showed up and they were there it was like an early X-mas. It was a great time to be a kid! I still come across an old bag with their logo now and again. I actually saved one for a memento!

Edited by Arrgh!!

There is the old Funny Farm in Vandalia. I don't know what it is called now. The guy who owns it is nice enough and they have some interesting books. But you can never go through the back issues because he has stuff stacked all over. :frustrated:

I was there maybe a year or so ago. It was still called the Funny Farm. It used to be an elderly couple who owned the place but they had just recently sold out to a new owner.

There is the old Funny Farm in Vandalia. I don't know what it is called now. The guy who owns it is nice enough and they have some interesting books. But you can never go through the back issues because he has stuff stacked all over. :frustrated:

I was there maybe a year or so ago. It was still called the Funny Farm. It used to be an elderly couple who owned the place but they had just recently sold out to a new owner.

Yeah, the new guy, Brian, is a really nice guy. He will help you find whatever you need. He has a really good selection, but you have to ask...He does have some of his stuff out, but the arrangement of the room feels crowded...there's a lot of unused space, but if you're in there, just tell him what you're looking for..He's pretty knowledgeable about comics.

When I was a kid in the 80's they used to travel through Kansas City and set up in the middle of the mall. I never had any idea of when they would be there so if I showed up and they were there it was like an early X-mas. It was a great time to be a kid! I still come across an old bag with their logo now and again. I actually saved one for a memento!

Yep..Dragon's Lair was a huge part of growing up with comics for me. They came to the mall twice a year...Larry and Rose. A married couple that travelled in a van and set up at shows at malls. Great books and prices, loved the shows for years, it was by far the best comics event in Denver. My friends and I would save our money like mad for the two shows. Bought my first pre-code horror from them.

The red dragon bags were cool, long flap and all. I wish I still had one!

Yep..Dragon's Lair was a huge part of growing up with comics for me. They came to the mall twice a year...Larry and Rose. A married couple that travelled in a van and set up at shows at malls. Great books and prices, loved the shows for years, it was by far the best comics event in Denver. My friends and I would save our money like mad for the two shows. Bought my first pre-code horror from them.

The red dragon bags were cool, long flap and all. I wish I still had one!

Those bags with the dragon logo bring back some great memories!! I vaguely remember Rose picking up the slack at the local mall shows when Danny quit for a while to get or work as a CPA (according to Rose.) I also remember her saying "He'll be back someday!" ... and she was right. :grin:

On 3/30/2019 at 11:56 AM, FatMixG said:

I've been re-bagging and cataloging my comics that I collected back in 1978-1990 or so and came across a couple of these bags. Anyone remember the Dragon's Lair in Dayton Ohio? 

IMG_2891.JPG

I definitely had some comics pass through my hands back in the day that had those Dragon's Lair bags!    How about one of the comic stores that was in Troy back in that time, around late 70s to early 80s?  Anyone remember the name of that store on the outskirts of town?

Dayton sounds like Mecca for back issue stores. Wasn’t Bonnetts Books also located there? Considering how many GA books I still see floating around with their stamp, they must have had quite the stock back in the day I believe David T Alexander bought them out of comics years ago.

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Dayton sounds like Mecca for back issue stores. Wasn’t Bonnetts Books also located there? Considering how many GA books I still see floating around with their stamp, they must have had quite the stock back in the day I believe David T Alexander bought them out of comics years ago.

Ohio has a lot of stores in general. Good for picking if you want to travel often. Seems like an endless supply. Stores near me are regularly posting new Silver Age superhero books.

As was mentioned in this thread The Bookery is still open, they setup at shows and now have two storefronts. One for vintage stuff comics and other memorabilia. The other is current books and $1 books in the basement.

All the comments about Dragon's Lair brings back a lot of memories of my early days collecting comics.

Bonnetts is still around, altho I haven't been there in awhile.  The sign out front still says that they sell comics.

Bookery is also still around and a great brick and mortar comic/movie poster/collectibles/gaming store.  If you're passing thru the Dayton area (Fairborn, actually) it's worth the detour.  Tim posts here from time to time (as "Bookery", what else?) but he hasn't set up at a show in quite some time nor does he sell online.

No one's mentioned Dark Star, which used to have three locations in the Dayton area but now just has the one location in Yellow Springs.  They used to have a big selection of Gold/Silver but seem to have gotten out of that end a long time ago.