• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

question for those of you that don't read moderns?

74 posts in this topic

For the most part, it's a question of space and money, but it goes deeper than that.I grew up with the vintage stuff and it brings back a torrent of nostalgia from a time in my life when things were so much simpler.They have become expensive and I can't do both.I really don't know why the older stuff appeals to me like this....but this is a decision I made over 10 years ago and I still haven't changed my mind.I did read quite a bit of the ultimates stuff and loved it....I have a small stack of them, but mostly read TPB's I check out from the library.The material is very good....it just doesn't grab me like "The Micro World of Doctor Doom" or "This Man,This Monster".The closest I've been able to come to a reason is the question of theme.....the 60's material is more focused on Irony while the the more "modern" material seems to be depressingly grounded in the tragic. "Modern" comics first started losing me when Marvel killed off Gwen Stacy....apparently they felt the need to infuse their line with more "reality".Unfortunately, reality was not my motivation for reading comics....I came to them for the "fantastic".If I wanted reality, I had but to step out the front door,go to school,go into town,etc....I suppose you could say they just quit selling what I was buying.John Byrne,Walt Simonson,and Alan Moore were able to provide it on occasion....they seemed to understand how to make comics larger than life...yet still keep them upbeat.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. The GA and SA stuff seem to focus more on Life, while the books that followed revolve too much around Death.

Good post !! You said that very well.

I'd like to bring up a question to everybody here......

Would you rather have 100 books worth a buck each or 1 book worth a hundred bucks? Or maybe 2 fifty dollar books.....you get the idea. Quantity or quality.

my main collecting focus is and always will be vintage books. but i manage 4 or 5 trades a month.

I buy what I like... Mostly that is vintage books. Sometimes I see or hear about a great story or issue, and I buy that (like the Walking Dead Omnibus)... The appeal of the older books, for me, is the art... I love that older, more classic look (and I'm not talkin' Silver Age here... I own barely ANY SA)... Golden Age for me, edging into Platinum, and then there is the Bronze stuff I grew up on that has the nostalgia factor and the great art by the likes of Wrightson, Kaluta, Adams, and Jones... Moderns, with the few rare exceptions, just aren't worth it on a lot of levels...

I find the human touch missing in the moderns. They look computer generated, the paper feels like plastic, and the "graphic novel" feel makes them less of a funny book, and more a magazine to me. Lump me in with the old skool who grew up with thought balloons and paper you could see the fibers in. I collect them for nostalgia, but have no pretense in the knowledge I'm low-brow, and read them too. The older comics just seemed to be to entertain, maybe preach a little, teach a little, but they never took themselves so seriously that they felt their place was elevated to "literature". I blow through a modern in about 7 minutes, and for all the style, little substance. I'm sure there are good ones out there, but I don't have the patience to wade through the swamp looking for truffles. I know for a fact I can always eat a bag of goldenage M&M's though, and even though they have little nutritional value, they sure do taste good.

Four colors was plenty.

Continuity. Price. No Nostalgia. Over sexualized. Immediate drop in value.

I've read a couple newer ones and you really do read them in 5 minutes. Not worth it. Also, there are too many classic novels I have not yet read in life for me to get too caught up in new, inconsistent, and expensive comics.

As a writer, I cannot stand a lack of continuity or the comic universes breaking their own premises.

Collecting is nostalgia and I always know, if needs be, I can resell any of my comics for around the price I paid for them (I don't buy a ton of comics). Plus, I really don't have space to store hundreds of comics.

That said, I am really looking forward to the Farscape comic series that is coming out. That comic will make me buy a new comic at a comic shop for the first time since probably 1992.

I'd like to bring up a question to everybody here......

Would you rather have 100 books worth a buck each or 1 book worth a hundred bucks? Or maybe 2 fifty dollar books.....you get the idea. Quantity or quality.

I don't think it's quantity vs quality you're talking about, more like quantity vs. market value. I'd rather have 100 books that I want to read from the discount bin than one CGC 9.9 Spawn #1 any day of the week. I go for the best of both worlds...I'll buy an expensive CGC book one day, and the next fill a longbox (of stuff I want to READ) for $50 from my LCS' bargain bins.

Here's an example...I picked this book up a while back, raw, to flip on the boards and no one wanted it.This turned out to be a GOOD thing, as I then took the time to go through it for the first time in years.I had always considered it one of my favorite Thor covers and I suppose I had forgotten just how profound and sublime that stupid thing was.It had the same affect it had on me when I was 14 years old...it WOKE my arse up.I only wish Stan and Jack had included Ego ,The Living Planet in the first 100 issues of the FF.......WOW.....WHATTA COMIC. Maybe we'll see some of this kind of stuff again someday.GOD BLESS...

scan0018.jpg

Continuity. Price. No Nostalgia. Over sexualized. Immediate drop in value.

Collecting is nostalgia and I always know, if needs be, I can resell any of my comics for around the price I paid for them (I don't buy a ton of comics). Plus, I really don't have space to store hundreds of comics.

I agree with this. That's part of the reason why I stopped buying moderns and now only buy silver/bronze age books. Sometimes I would walk out of the LCS with a handful of moderns, take them home, finish them in 10 mins each, and feel like I wasted my money. What I hate the most is buying books off the rack and seeing the same books in 50 cent bins just 2-3 months later. At least with bronze books, I really enjoy them and they hold their value for the most part. I can always sell them for about what I paid and I never feel like I've wasted money on vintage books.

Here's an example...I picked this book up a while back, raw, to flip on the boards and no one wanted it.This turned out to be a GOOD thing, as I then took the time to go through it for the first time in years.I had always considered it one of my favorite Thor covers and I suppose I had forgotten just how profound and sublime that stupid thing was.It had the same affect it had on me when I was 14 years old...it WOKE my arse up.I only wish Stan and Jack had included Ego ,The Living Planet in the first 100 issues of the FF.......WOW.....WHATTA COMIC. Maybe we'll see some of this kind of stuff again someday.GOD BLESS...

scan0018.jpg

Thor 133 was a pretty good story!

scan0018.jpg

Thor 133 was a pretty good story!

The typical Stan / Jack story took 7 minutes to read ONE page lol .GOD BLESS...

well it sounds as if you guys are either, all in buying every book on the stand which would definitely coast to much and take up way to much space, or you just don't buy them at all.

i guess my initial point of this thread was to suggest that there are some really good stories out there that can be had for at least half the cover price if you pick up discounted trades.

but i understand as i had collected BA and SA for 15 years with zero interest in reading a current book

just a suggestion really.

well it sounds as if you guys are either, all in buying every book on the stand which would definitely coast to much and take up way to much space, or you just don't buy them at all.

i guess my initial point of this thread was to suggest that there are some really good stories out there that can be had for at least half the cover price if you pick up discounted trades.

but i understand as i had collected BA and SA for 15 years with zero interest in reading a current book

I'd definitely be interested in any tips towards material that is current and in TPB.GOD BLESS...

i’m curious,

if you like vintage comics, you like comic art, you like the art of sequential story telling.

then why don’t you read moderns?

For me, a hardcore "nothing past 1969" guy, I have no interest what so ever in reading / owning something from 1984 let's say, probably because there is so much great material available to me to read and explore in the GA and SA....an endless amount.

There were some many tens of thousands of different issues from various Genres printed from 1938 - 1969 (my thing), that I have no interest in even Copper or Bronze, much less Moderns. They don't look right, feel right, smell right.....they do not exist for me....like they were never even printed in the 1st place ( sorry Modern dudes, but Monstro asked :foryou: ) I see Conan #1 and I want to hurl, much less Iron Fist or TMNT :sick: GOD BLESS...

-stevie-boy( a friend of Moses ) (thumbs u

just messin' with 'ya jimjum :baiting::foryou:

i’m curious,

if you like vintage comics, you like comic art, you like the art of sequential story telling.

For me, a hardcore "nothing past 1969" guy, I have no interest what so ever in reading / owning something from 1984 let's say, probably because there is so much great material available to me to read and explore in the GA and SA....an endless amount.

There were some many tens of thousands of different issues from various Genres printed from 1938 - 1969 (my thing), that I have no interest in even Copper or Bronze, much less Moderns. They don't look right, feel right, smell right.....they do not exist for me....like they were never even printed in the 1st place ( sorry Modern dudes, but Monstro asked :foryou: ) I see Conan #1 and I want to hurl, much less Iron Fist or TMNT :sick: GOD BLESS...

You can mess with me anytime ,my brother.If it has to do with peace and good will...I'm all for it.Those Pentateuch guys are all my heroes...I try to read it through once a year.Someday I'd like to meet Enoch...the man who never died.GOD BLESS...

i’m curious,

You can mess with me anytime ,my brother.If it has to do with peace and good will...I'm all for it.Those Pentateuch guys are all my heroes...I try to read it through once a year.Someday I'd like to meet Enoch...the man who never died.GOD BLESS...

It was, I did ........you know what I mean ;)

I'd definitely be interested in any tips towards material that is current and in TPB.GOD BLESS...

what i mainly do i read the modern section on these boards. those guys know their stuff. that thread turned me onto Fear Agent, Proof, Locke and Key and a bunch more i mentioned in the first post.

i’m curious,

is it the price? is it the art or story telling?

The Bronze Age brought a lot of new genres and characters but became increasingly violent. The violence and sexuality increased over the following 40 years. A local comic book store is entitled, "Looking for Heroes", and I feel that way when I survey modern comic displays.

Not only has the general tenor changed but modern storytelling has, for the most part, left behind the caption (narrator's voice), the thought balloon (interior monologue) and the well-paced story (story arcs now dictated by the needs of the TPB). (shrug)

I read them all.... GA-Modern. And while I understand what some guys say about not liking moderns, everything has its ups and downs.

That being said there are some really great books out today. My votes alwys go with Brubaker, and Johns. Both have done wonders for the characters they are working on, and straightened out and worked off all of the characters history. So I can read my old SA issues and they still work with current continuity.

If you are concerened about price, just pick them up in trade. If you want the raw issues, get them after they are back issues. You can end up getting the new titles for $1.00 at local shows.

There is always some way to keep reading these books.