• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do You List a Printer's Crease As a Defect When Selling Your Comics?

37 posts in this topic

I've bought books before listed as 9.6 and when I got them, there were big 1 inch printer's creases on the back. I know CGC doesn't think it's technically a defect, but I think seller's should at least mention printer's creases when they sell books. I'd much rather have a 9.6 without that printer's crease than a 9.6 with it. Printer's creases just make books a little less attractive to me. What do you think about sellers not mentioning printer's creases in their ads?

If the book is graded I don't expect a seller to mention any type of defects including printer's creases. Just like they wouldn't mention a corner crease on the back cover or a tear or whatever. Why would a printer's crease be any different? They pay CGC so that they don't have to worry about grades and defects and such.

If the book is graded I don't expect a seller to mention any type of defects including printer's creases. Just like they wouldn't mention a corner crease on the back cover or a tear or whatever. Why would a printer's crease be any different?

Because CGC does NOT take these into account when compiling a grade. :makepoint:

I've bought books before listed as 9.6 and when I got them, there were big 1 inch printer's creases on the back. I know CGC doesn't think it's technically a defect, but I think seller's should at least mention printer's creases when they sell books. I'd much rather have a 9.6 without that printer's crease than a 9.6 with it. Printer's creases just make books a little less attractive to me. What do you think about sellers not mentioning printer's creases in their ads?

I don't care for them...generally sell the ones I end up with....but I do disclose it.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)

If the book is graded I don't expect a seller to mention any type of defects including printer's creases. Just like they wouldn't mention a corner crease on the back cover or a tear or whatever. Why would a printer's crease be any different?

Because CGC does NOT take these into account when compiling a grade. :makepoint:

If CGC does not consider it a defect, why should any sellers? If you're concerned about them, ask for a back cover scan.

If CGC does not consider it a defect, why should any sellers? If you're concerned about them, ask for a back cover scan.

I would consider it a defect because I don't let CGC standards define my aesthetic standards. (tsk)

If the book is graded I don't expect a seller to mention any type of defects including printer's creases. Just like they wouldn't mention a corner crease on the back cover or a tear or whatever. Why would a printer's crease be any different? They pay CGC so that they don't have to worry about grades and defects and such.

Ok, but what if the book is not slabbed. I wouldn't be as excited about a book if it had printer's creases even though it is technically not a defect according to CGC. And I think many other people buying books would hesitate to consider a book with obvious printer's creases to be NM+ or NM/Mint. It just takes away from the visual appeal of the book and makes me want to find a NM+ copy without that defect. To me, it's like the book being off center and having the white stripe, only it's not as obvious. You don't think sellers should mention that so people who don't want books with printer's creases can make a better decision?

I also (for the most part) hate printer's creases, and ask a seller if a book has any when inquiring about raw books.

If I remember correctly, CGC will inform you that a book has a printer's crease if you call for the graders' notes.

If CGC does not consider it a defect, why should any sellers?

Because we live in the real world, not that insulated CGC environment?

Dealers obviously didn't want CGC taking production defects into account, so broke off from the accepted norm of other graded collectibles and accepted any book that rolled off the line, in any condition, as being a CGC 10.0, then worked down from there based on wear.

But CGC dropped the ball here, and this position is hardly realistic in the real-world of collecting, especially now that they've stopped taking grading notes.

Before CGC came a long a lot of people in this hobby/business did consider them a defect. One on the FC is Juststopit.DoyouWANTastrike?-lee. I would be very ticked off to get a slabbed 9.6 that had one on the front cover.

CGC has decided that all sorts of printing defects/miswraps, etc. that many old skool types considered grade deductions simply don't matter. Sure, those old skool types tended to be more loosey goosey when it came to other stuff, but.....

I suppose one exception MIGHT be when the bulk of a print-run has the defect. Don't Howard the Duck #1s often have the printer's crease on the FC?