• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Christmas '72 or How I became a Golden Age Collector

37 posts in this topic

I thought everyone might get a kick out of these pictures from my old photo album. The year is 1972, the time is Christmas. For those who think this was a dark age for the comic collector, you are partially correct. However, since we did not know that you would ever be able to buy archives, trade paperbacks or even go to a comic store it didn't seem that way.

You can see evidence of my collecting habits changing with issues of both Dennis the Menace and Superman under the tree. Steranko's History of the Comics Volume 2 is featured prominently, and I had probably received Volume 1 the prior Christmas so I was already on my way to appreciating the Golden Age.

I'll let you guys figure out the other two books that I remember receiving so well that year and really enjoyed reading. I still have all of these books, though both Steranko volumes are dog eared from reading and looking at the photos many times.

I should also point out that I in fact did build that Lunar Lander model and it was probably the greatest model I ever got and built!

Merry Christmas!

70522.jpg.005209a9766dcf56c773c8ae8ab1c067.jpg

70523.jpg.d096ab564c14c4ae53b2566bf62e9e0c.jpg

The lunar landing kit brought it all back for me. Back then, my father and I put together those Frankenstein and The Mummy plastic models on the kitchen table, the same models you'd find in back of the '60s comics. Great shots.