• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM #1 VG for $6300????

15 posts in this topic

So my wife and I visited friends in Denver for Thanksgiving, and just for fun we made a trip to Chuck's big 10,000 square foot store. Besides being disappointed with the store itself(had the feel of a second-hand store), I was amazed at the price of an ASM #1 displayed in a case opposite the front counter. $6300 for a VG copy. And that's not my grade, that's the store's grade, prominently displayed right next to the price. foreheadslap.gif

I like how he talks about how the comics can be dissounted up to 40% at one time. Sounds like a comic shop I used to go to. Every Sunday all wall books 50% off. Of course all wall books were priced as NM no matter what grade 95% of the time. So even with the 50% off a lot of times you still weren't getting a deal because the book would be in Fine and worth much less then the price with the 50% off. I went in the store for the 1st time in years a few months back. I asked if they still had the 50% off on wall books on Sundays. The kid working the desk said they never had such a thing...Now when I look at the wall the books are priced much closer to what the value would be in its condition, so it's no surprise the Sunday sale is no more.

So my wife and I visited friends in Denver for Thanksgiving, and just for fun we made a trip to Chuck's big 10,000 square foot store. Besides being disappointed with the store itself(had the feel of a second-hand store), I was amazed at the price of an ASM #1 displayed in a case opposite the front counter. $6300 for a VG copy. And that's not my grade, that's the store's grade, prominently displayed right next to the price. foreheadslap.gif

Several years ago we took a trip out to Winter Park for a week's worth of skiing, and spent a day or two in Denver nosing around. As I usually do when I travel, I made a point to look up the comics shops and of course I wanted to visit the infamous "Mile High" comic store, it was gonna be great!

Unfortunately, their selection consisted of thousands and thousands of $2-5 comics, and maybe 5 or 6 silver age keys (AF 15 was one) in the glass case behind the counter. The guys behind the counter had no clue where all the good books were "...maybe at the other store..." they told me. Hosers!!

Freakin' unbelievable! I found myself laughing out loud at the prices, just like I did when I saw his exhibit in San Diego this year. What a clown he is! makepoint.gif

Here are 2 of my favorite examples:

Kitty Pride and Wolverine #6 CGC NM/MT 9.8

$4.50 - Overstreet guide in 9.4

$23.31 - GPA average

$194.50 - Mile High price

Wolverine Ltd. #2 CGC NM+ 9.6

$40 - Overstreet guide in 9.4

$42.59 - GPA average

$194.50 - Mile High price

I can see the Visa/MC commercial now:

Kitty Pride and Wolverine #6 CGC NM/MT 9.8

Overstreet guide in 9.4 = $4.50

GPA average = $23.31

Mile High price = $194.50

The entertainment value of Chuck's prices on the forums = Priceless!!

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I like how he talks about how the comics can be dissounted up to 40% at one time. Sounds like a comic shop I used to go to. Every Sunday all wall books 50% off. Of course all wall books were priced as NM no matter what grade 95% of the time. So even with the 50% off a lot of times you still weren't getting a deal because the book would be in Fine and worth much less then the price with the 50% off. I went in the store for the 1st time in years a few months back. I asked if they still had the 50% off on wall books on Sundays. The kid working the desk said they never had such a thing...Now when I look at the wall the books are priced much closer to what the value would be in its condition, so it's no surprise the Sunday sale is no more.

It sounds like you used to patronize the same LCS I used to, unless most of them carry on this way. My LCS still has his "half off every book on the wall and in the back issue boxes sale", with all the books listed at NM prices, no matter what the apparent condition...It seems like those books never move off the walls, and I can't fathom why..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The Kitty Pride and Wolverine book is the funniest to me. That price is so far from reality it's not even funny. You would have a hard time giving that book away.

So, you don't want my copy then?....Oh well, I can always use it for the birdcage..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jeff...

I'm sorry you experienced that. Did you have the chance to go to any other comic stores while you were there?

Chuck's "store" is mostly 10K sq. ft of empty space. I suppose the best use of the space is for gaming, if that's your bag.

There are at least 4 much better stores in the Denver area, with a greater variety of books & comic-related material, with more knowledgable/friendlier staff, with better atmosphere, with (duh) better prices & located in nicer areas of town. And that's just off the top of my noggin'. I'm sure the folks on these boards who live in the Denver area can name more locations that I don't know about.

Did you have the chance to go to any other comic stores while you were there?

Unfortunately, no we didn't, but I'm sure we'll be visiting our friends again soon, and I'll take that opportunity to visit other stores in the area.

I wonder what the nicest shop in the country is...a store with a wide selection of Gold, Silver, Bronze, Modern, all displayed well in a friendly atmosphere. Any opinions?