• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Mamma" dethrones "Knight" on DVD sales chart

38 posts in this topic

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081225/film_nm/us_dvd;_ylt=Am904k7WDaVKvancvugjKMNxFb8C

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) – "Mamma Mia!" replaced "The Dark Knight" as the top-selling DVD in the United States, according to Nielsen VideoScan data issued Wednesday.

The Batman sequel, released December 9, remains the top-selling video release of the year, with an estimated worldwide total of 13.5 million units sold its first week out, 1.7 million of them on the nascent Blu-ray Disc format.

On trade publication Home Media Magazine's rental chart, top honors went to "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor," which also bumped "The Dark Knight" to No. 2. "Mamma Mia!" debuted at No. 3.

"Dark Knight" remained the No. 1 Blu-ray Disc seller for the second week, according to Nielsen VideoScan. "The Mummy" debuted at No. 2, with "Mamma Mia!" at No. 3.

I can understand Mamma Mia because it appeals to the female audience, but how the fack is Mummy even in this list? Of all movies I saw last year, Mummy was hands down the biggest piece of mess. And that's saying a lot for me to rank it even lower than that POS Raider's movie. :cry:

I can understand Mamma Mia because it appeals to the female audience, but how the fack is Mummy even in this list? Of all movies I saw last year, Mummy was hands down the biggest piece of mess. And that's saying a lot for me to rank it even lower than that POS Raider's movie. :cry:

Because it is on the rental list for all the people who thought it might suck too much to pay $40 their family to see it, but were willing to pay $3.49 to find out?

(As for the Blue-Ray, perhaps they just wanted to see it suck in the quality it was intended to suck in.)

I bought my wife Mama Mia for Christmas, but she up and did not buy me the Dark Knight Blue-Ray. (tsk)

In any case, Mama Mia is a fun movie (although some of the actors should not do another musical) and a nice contrast to the darker movies that are out there.

:news: This is a good pick for any of you fanboys out there that are in the doghouse this holiday season with your wife/girlfriend. lol

I watched it the other night, at the sake of not being rude to everyone else in the house that wanted to see it. I can honestly say this might be the first musical in history that the entire cast couldn't sing. I thought it was horrible.

I can see how it appeals to females, but it's not something I care to ever see again.

Do DVD sales get factored into the total gross of the movie? Like, would IMDB reflect the extra millions earned from the Dark Knight DVD/Blu-ray?

Nope. Ticket sales only, at least for the box office totals. The actors, businesses and lawyers of course, probably take everything into account when figuring out the "total gross" and any potential profit sharing.

I watched it the other night, at the sake of not being rude to everyone else in the house that wanted to see it. I can honestly say this might be the first musical in history that the entire cast couldn't sing. I thought it was horrible.

I can see how it appeals to females, but it's not something I care to ever see again.

Thank you. I agree completely. I thought it was utter garbage.

I agree 100%. My sister, on the other hand, loves the movie.