• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Really badly placed signatures on SS books

42 posts in this topic

Frank Miller isnt exactly kind with his sig either

7f1b_1.JPG

I will chime in here...

I would say 99.9% of the time creators could not be any nicer about signing books. They are at shows to sign and typically do not cause any problems, unless hundreds of books are being dropped on them at a public signing. Common sense has to take place when that happens lol

As for signature placement...

Imagine standing in a line with hundreds of other people and holding a stack of books. You are then placing them down in front of the creator, as he/she is signing, you are immediately taking the books that were just signed and securing them, so no ink transfer or other things can happen. Most of the time the creator looks for a spot to sign, but in some instances they are just signing away like machines and not worried about where. This doesn't happen often, but it does...

just like anything else...

And you are correct, no witness will mention any particular creator in this forum. Not worth alienating that creator or causing any rifts...

As for signature placement...

Imagine standing in a line with hundreds of other people and holding a stack of books. You are then placing them down in front of the creator, as he/she is signing, you are immediately taking the books that were just signed and securing them, so no ink transfer or other things can happen. Most of the time the creator looks for a spot to sign, but in some instances they are just signing away like machines and not worried about where. This doesn't happen often, but it does...

just like anything else...

That's fair. Disappointing at times, but fair.

Granted, I don't sign my name hundreds or even thousands (I'm lookin' at you Jim Lee) of times in a weekend, but some boggle the mind. Huge, clean, sometimes even white open spaces are left untouched while the creator signs over a character's face. Possibly the only thing worse is when they sign in a black area with a blue pen or something similar.

I've been disappointed, rarely, but it happens. An example that immediately comes to mind is my WSF #29 signed and marked by Frazetta. On the one hand, he realized the signature wasn't showing up and started over. On the other, I've got "Fraz" written in black in a dark area on the cover of my restored "original owner" book. I really think I'm more upset over the restoration than the extra partial signature. And don't think for a second that I'm giving that book up or that I don't appreciate the effort put in by Chainnball (I swear, he would move mountains if he had to in order to get some of this stuff done!).

The worst signature I saw on a key book was an Amazing Spider-Man 129 CGC 9.2 Yellow Label signed by Stan Lee. It sold on eBay about 4-6 months ago.

Stan Lee signed it in a nice part of the book, but then drew a large black spider over the top of the Punisher cover character as if Spidey had wiped him out.

The book should have sold for quite a bit, but I think the "destruction" done to the cover really was a distractor. I cannot even emphasize enough how badly that signing hurt the book. Wish I had the picture.

I can't find it, but I haven't put it under a black light either......

I have a Thor that was deemed "very slight color touch cover" and I can't for the life of me find it. Tried different levels of black light and even different actinic lighting to see where the color touch is. I guess I'll be calling CGC to see if they have notes on exactly where the color touch is.

The worst signature I saw on a key book was an Amazing Spider-Man 129 CGC 9.2 Yellow Label signed by Stan Lee. It sold on eBay about 4-6 months ago.

Stan Lee signed it in a nice part of the book, but then drew a large black spider over the top of the Punisher cover character as if Spidey had wiped him out.

The book should have sold for quite a bit, but I think the "destruction" done to the cover really was a distractor. I cannot even emphasize enough how badly that signing hurt the book. Wish I had the picture.

DSC05772.jpg

I used to think the book was ruined....but now I kinda like it. I mean......how many spider sketches has Stan ever done? hm

Too bad it's an ASM 129....rather than a book Stan actually worked on.