• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Really badly placed signatures on SS books

42 posts in this topic

The worst signature I saw on a key book was an Amazing Spider-Man 129 CGC 9.2 Yellow Label signed by Stan Lee. It sold on eBay about 4-6 months ago.

Stan Lee signed it in a nice part of the book, but then drew a large black spider over the top of the Punisher cover character as if Spidey had wiped him out.

The book should have sold for quite a bit, but I think the "destruction" done to the cover really was a distractor. I cannot even emphasize enough how badly that signing hurt the book. Wish I had the picture.

DSC05772.jpg

I used to think the book was ruined....but now I kinda like it. I mean......how many spider sketches has Stan ever done? hm

Too bad it's an ASM 129....rather than a book Stan actually worked on.

Talk about a small world finding the owner on here. I died when I saw it on eBay and what he had done to the book. But if you like the personalization, that is all that matters. Imagine the fellow's face that handed it to him and started seeing this big black spider being drawn on the book. Not sure if he wanted to play "Friday Night Smackdown" with Mr. Lee or fell over in shock.

If the original owner had gone with the Friday Night Smackdown approach, do you think CGC would have had to post "signed, sketched, and blood spatter from Stan Lee - book held by L.A. Sheriff's office as evidence"

I've always had really good luck with sigs by Stan Lee, often beautifully placed, right on the sweet spot. Here's one of my favorite placements:

usm82.jpg

Kinda draws your eyes down to the sig, dont it :devil:

That asm 129 spider is uuuugly. The USM 82 is great placement by stan. If i ever got the chance to do a signing like this i just know i'd be doing all sorts of ridiculous things like drawing a mask back onto peter parker in civil war and so on...

Boy it's glad i'm not an artist eh?

These are all great!

I have to agree, the "Stan Spider" is pretty ugly...but I would still own it! (thumbs u

What about signings with sketches where the creator tried to enhance the cover? Anyone have anything like that?

Something along the lines of a main character on the cover, and the signer does some additional art on the sides of supporting characters which are part of the story. I remember seeing a raw Cerebus book with Wolveroach jumping across the cover, and Sim had signed and then sketched Jaka in silver with a look of shock. It was very well done.

Unfortunately, the owner would not sell the book, but still great to have seen it.

142238572_o.jpg

Not mine anymore but Charlie Adlard had fun with this :) It was my idea to have a zombie popping out of the ground but he drew the hand.....

Very cool...the hand blends in with the book very well! Best "add on" I have ever seen! (thumbs u

You should've gotten a discount...half a signature = half price :sumo:

I think that more empty space on a cover compels an autographer to sign on a character or important part of a cover. Here are some mixed cases I've encountered.

Some recent BAD SS examples I've encountered:

Andy Kubert signs over Storm's body in black (not completely terrible).

wmdscf0016zx4.th.jpg

Stan Lee signs over a word bubble on Hulk#2

image130largevy1.th.jpg

Some GOOD SS Examples:

4 sigs and all they managed to NOT WRITE on Wolverine!

wmdscf0014bq1.th.jpg

Close to Cyclops, but no harm, no foul:

image134qh7.th.jpg

Again, Stan avoids major characters and signs in subtle area:

image137vp8.th.jpg

This book had the potential to be royally messed up. Thankfully, they both avoided Spidey:

wmdscf0012fj5.th.jpg

Same here. Stan signed away from major figures in the foreground:

wmdscf0018ec3.th.jpg

-Issa