• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Allow myself to reintroduce...myself

9 posts in this topic

I actually registered here three years ago and made some 150-odd posts I'd all but completely forgotten about. I was picking back up the original art collecting game and wanted some place for discussion, and I happened to remember this place.

My handle is Elijya, you may have run into me on any of the numerous comic forums (I used to mod over at superherohype.com), or maybe at cons. I've been collecting art for the past 5 years, and yet I still feel very much like an amateur. I only make a couple of purchases a year when I run into a good deal on something I like, and a lot of my time and OA funds have been spent on convention sketches. Still, I've amassed a small but impressive collection if I do say so myself. I finally got around to starting a CAF gallery awhile back, although I only have a crummy digital camera and no photography skills.

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=25149

I quickly picked up that I usually try to avoid paneled pages regardless of artist or subject. This means I mainly collect modern as there are more splash pages to choose from, and things are far more likely to be in my budget. My interests are varied and I've sought to have at least one definitive piece of my favorite artists/series/characters. I tend to keep what I get (mainly just because I avoid the hassle and worry of exchanges) and usually prefer doing business in person. I think I've only ever traded 4 things (in a single exchange). But if there is anything in my galleries you'd like to discuss, I'm always at least interested in hearing what people would offer.

I hit about 3 conventions a year, and taking my sketchbook around has meant I've started a lot of friendships with artists. I knew Khoi Pham back when he was only asking $10 a sketch, and boy did I take advantage of that. I'm a fan of archer characters, chiefly Hawkeye and Green Arrow, and my pride and joy is my Archer sketchbook, which has contributions from Neal Adams, Mike Grell, Matt Wagner, Rags Morales, Ethan Van Sciver, and more. Incidentally, my two big "gets" for this book are Mark Bagley and George Perez. I'm sure I'll get Bagley eventually, but I need to be filled in on what's up with Perez. I know he's semi-retired and had heard he only does commissions for Hero Initiative auctions or some such. Can anyone provide me with details?

I'm also always on the lookout for any truly fantastic Hawkeye pieces, as they seem to be a rarity.

Anyway, that's me, just wanted to make a formal hello.

E: Thought I'd make a little "Wanted" list if anyone has any of these available for sale or trade, or knows where they are. I'd probably only be able to manage a single one of these at the moment. I'm always interested in colored/painted work especially

Any Hawkeye covers or splashes

Fables covers

100 Bullets covers

Y-The Last Man covers

Captain Marvel covers (from Peter David's run)

Marcos Martin pieces

Milo Manara pieces

Alex Maleev color pieces

David Mack paintings

Pre-Hellboy Mignola work (especially from the Dr.Strange.Dr. Doom graphic novel)

A good Fantastic Four group shot

I just realized a couple things my CAF gallery is missing. Gonna go take some more photos

Hey Eli!

I remember you from the BKV forum. Nice to see you here and welcome...again. Awesome Preacher covers, and of course, the Ex Machina cover as well!! Great collection you've put together.

See ya 'round.

J

Yeah, unfortunately it's a crappy book. Low quality paper, the bindings starting to come off, and there's a load of pages and I'm not even halfway through. Oh well, too late to stop now.

I'm halfway through uploading a whole bunch of art I'd not gotten around to of CAF. Got my Transmet gallery up, my pages from Orbiter, my Dave Cockrum, and one of my Grell paintings. I should take down and reload a lot of my old stuff now that I know how to tweak my crappy photos a little after I take them, but I don't wanna lose my view counts :D

All done, 35 new pieces

Hey, question: what's the consensus amongst OA collectors about color guides? pretty much useless? They go for dirt cheap prices, almost token amounts (versus the actual art for the same pages). What's a reasonable price to pay for the color guides of a whole issue?