• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

you ever have a child hood hero?

90 posts in this topic

you ever have a child hood hero like Mickey Mantle for example.

when you we’re young you read some very watered down books about his life, highlighting only the positives making even more of a hero.

then one day you pick up a book about what his life was truly like, basically a miserable drunk.

sadly after being here a few years,

beloved hobby of comic book collecting = childhood hero Mickey Mantle

CGC message boards = evil biography ruining it for me. :(

when you we’re young you read some very watered down books about his life, highlighting only the positives making even more of a hero.

then one day you pick up a book about what his life was truly like, basically a miserable drunk.

Oh dear. What brought this bilious nonsense on?

So we're all miserable drunks? (shrug)

I'm drunk nor miserable ... but I can't deny being a tad evil...

drchromium.gif

I'm drunk nor miserable ... but I can't deny being a tad evil...

drchromium.gif

You're ruining it for everyone with your CCE fetish. lol

To answer the original question...(childhood hero and what not)...my heros were always Super, so they never dissapointed later on and I have been here nearly 5 years and I ain't jaded yet! :banana:

One of my earliest memories was the Moon landings - I was 6. So Neil Armstrong would've been on the hero list, along with Sean Connery, Mohammed Ali and some football players you probably wouldn't've heard of.

Biggest disappointment later on - probably Ross and Norris McWhirter. Again, probably not known outside the U.K., but they compiled the Guinness Book Of Records, and on T.V. shows in the early 70s I admired them 'cos they knew lots about stuff I was interested in.

Turned out they were both members of a looney right wing group with very odd ideas about how to run the planet. :o

I think its just a fact of life, that as you grow older you see theings differently. As an Adult you see things the way they truly are.

Reminds me of the Lyrics in the Rock Band STYX song: Show me the way.

"All the Heros and Legends I knew as a child have fallen to Idols of Clay, Please show me the way..."

I remember Being little and thinking my Dad was Superman. When you get older and realize hes not it is sobering. It doesnt mean My Dad isnt my Hero it just means he is Human and subject to Human Fraility.

I think it important to keep things in persective and Honor the Best aspects of our Heros While recognizing their limitations.

This place only has as much power as you let it take.

Ken - I would have to agree with this. It's pretty good advice. Remember when I sold your Supes back to you after I had it for about six months? That's an example of one of the good parts about being a part of the boards. I have had many great things happen here. I've also had some bad things, but I just try to avoid the areas and people that bring me discontent these days, and it is working out great. Remember, this is just a slice of the world, complete with the requisite goods and evils..., :thumbsup: