• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

you ever have a child hood hero?

90 posts in this topic

My hero was my father. He is not a drunk, drug addict, or abusive. Hard worker with strong morals. I learned alot from him and still do.

Sorry I cant relate. But Darryl Strawberry was my favorite baseball player, and look how he turned out..

I've also had some bad things, but I just try to avoid the areas and people that bring me discontent these days, and it is working out great. Remember, this is just a slice of the world, complete with the requisite goods and evils..., :thumbsup:

I think this is advice is golden... I've seen a lot of posters come and go, enter with a bang, live with a whimper- or vice-versa - and a few have really gotten on my nerves. In the past I use to get really annoyed at what they were posting and actually looking for their posts so I could get all tense about it. Now I just block whomever puts me in a bad mood. Works perfectly and for some reason you know the first ten posts or so if you'll like this new person or not.

Too bad it isn't as easy in real life to filter the .

I guess growing up I looked up to Wayne Gretzky and Michael Jordan, neither disappointed me. However as you grow older you realize that they are just regular people like everyone else. To me that made them even more special. I remember Charles Barkley telling everyone that he isn't a role model and didn't want to be, it was funny to hear a star athlete tell people that he is human and he wants to lead his life as he wants to not how the public wanted him to.

As for comics and these boards I can never be let down because my expectations of them really aren't that high in the first place lol. Its a message board its ment to be full of opinons thats what makes it a message board. It would be aweful boring here if everyone shared the same opinon. I collect comics for fun and to read, I am rearly disappointed. However I don't ever spend big money on comics as I don't ever look at comics as a future investment....never mix business and pleasure:)

no it wasn't a FDQ exit.

and Doc it's not just the pressing, anyways i never once started one of those threads

Look, you get out of this place what you put into it. If it is negative bull mess all the time, then that is what you are going to get back. Plain and simple.

no it wasn't a FDQ exit.

and Doc it's not just the pressing, anyways i never once started one of those threads

Look, you get out of this place what you put into it. If it is negative bull mess all the time, then that is what you are going to get back. Plain and simple.

:cry:

I never really look up to others, and don't have that "hero worship" gene. Truthfully, the only sports figure I've ever truly respected is Kurt Warner - the life path he took, his family, his values, and what he gives back to the community is what any celebrity should strive for.

I never really look up to others, and don't have that "hero worship" gene. Truthfully, the only sports figure I've ever truly respected is Kurt Warner - the life path he took, his family, his values, and what he gives back to the community is what any celebrity should strive for.

I have a lot of admiration for Darryl Green (sp) Who played with the Redskins :cloud9: for the same reasons.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. Bill Gates is another who does a lot of neat stuff.

you ever have a child hood hero like Mickey Mantle for example.

when you we’re young you read some very watered down books about his life, highlighting only the positives making even more of a hero.

then one day you pick up a book about what his life was truly like, basically a miserable drunk.

sadly after being here a few years,

beloved hobby of comic book collecting = childhood hero Mickey Mantle

CGC message boards = evil biography ruining it for me. :(

Interresting analogy...and I see how some of the members can have that effect. But I still don't know of another forum that is still for the most part, good for the hobby.

Got a new book that you're want to show off? Post it and you generally get good feedback. Looking for deals? This is a good place to start. Looking for grading advice? It's available here. Looking for ideas on what to collect next? Scan the Gold, Silver, Bronze and yes....the Modern forums. Want to start an argument? This place works for that too. And as a bonus every now and then, you get the Jerry Springer - like thread. And as someone told me...all for a free registration.

Avoid or Ignore the trouble makers and enjoy the rest. If pressing of comics is the problem and the non-disclosure thereof, we all may be out of luck on that one. The genie is out of the bottle and I don't know that it can be put back in.

BTW, my childhood hero was Evel Knievel!

BTW, my childhood hero was Evel Knievel!

Mine, too. He ended up being quite a mixed bag, didn't he?

Most definitely! One of the cable channels, Discovery or A&E maybe?, recently had a 2 hour special on him that was outstanding. It had it all, including his commentary on just about everything!

Conan, Kull, Tarzan, Charles Carson Napier, David Innes, and John Carter were my childhood heroes... I don't think I ever had an actual living human that I idealized... I knew from the get that they were human, and incapable of being forever perfect... My dad had a lot to do with this, he was always very straight and honest no matter what I asked him, never sugar-coating for a child, but just telling me how it was... Because of this, I learned to take the truth, and accept the short-comings, of everything that life has thrown at me.

I accept the good with the bad, and as long as the good outweighs the bad, I figure things are OK...

These boards are 80% good... and 20% goofy.

I can dig it :cloud9::insane:(worship) (thumbs u

The only person I've ever truly respected is Hugh Hefner - the life path he took, his multiple girlfriends, his values, and what he gives back to the male community is what any celebrity should strive for.