• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What If #0....What if CGC/PGX never graded comics! *dun dun dun*

13 posts in this topic

I was just wondering why CGC / PGX didn't go the route of rather than grading comics simply encapsulating them and offering a restoration gaurantee on them?

Perhaps it's the idea of making 2% FMV on a big grade?

(though i'm sure this can't be the BIG money maker for them? not with 100's of moderns at $12 a pop a week.)

Maybe it never occured.

(i doubt it)

Furthermore, why not offer it alongside the current services?

would it cut into their established market for the older comics too much?

Maybe there's no market for it and i'm crazy you tell me:

Your thoughts?

I'm curious hm

The grade is the big draw for liquidity purposes. The resto check is great and the slab is fine, but the big number is what allows buyers to have the confidence that they are buying what they think they are buying without having seen, held, touched it.

Very few people would be paying for just the resto check and the slab because it doesn't help you sell. If you were doing it for yourself, have Matt nelson or Tracey heft or Susan Ciccone look at it and put it in a Mylar with a fullback. Then you don't have the risk of shipping damage, theft etc.

With the advent of eBay and Internet sales, having the grades makes a huge difference. By offering a third-party opinion sellers know what they are getting and are willing to pay more. Without the Internet, I don't know that there would have been enough demand to get a company like CGC launched. (Same with PSA or SGC for baseball cards.)

oooo yay another try-not-to-be-too-obvious-anti-CGC thread! whoooo

I like you.

I'd heard you where blunt and sarcastic but hey it's always nice to experience it first hand. Thanks for the constructive feedback/post though.

The reasoning behind the post was if both cgc and pgx can slab books and check for resto and get it right 99.9% (i'm completely glossing over any past indiscretions here) i was wondering why a quick slab/check + no grade wasn't offered by either of the companies. Seems to me with people who are willing to pay for hard top loaders would be more willing to pay for a quick resto check and slabbing without grade for those who DONT want to pay the big money for the grade, just to keep their personal collection.

Maybe it costs a pretty penny to slab a book :shrug:

The grade is the big draw for liquidity purposes. The resto check is great and the slab is fine, but the big number is what allows buyers to have the confidence that they are buying what they think they are buying without having seen, held, touched it.

Very few people would be paying for just the resto check and the slab because it doesn't help you sell. If you were doing it for yourself, have Matt nelson or Tracey heft or Susan Ciccone look at it and put it in a Mylar with a fullback. Then you don't have the risk of shipping damage, theft etc.

I see, so essentially I've ignored the fact that the third party grading has essentially made it easy to distinguish a comics quality without seeing it in person, flipping through the pages etc....Not being a big time spender on slabbed books (my most expensive slabbed book is about $100 US.)

I was pretty much out of my field with regards to restoration being a big deal (or not.)

I see, so essentially I've ignored the fact that the third party grading has essentially made it easy to distinguish a comics quality without seeing it in person, flipping through the pages etc....Not being a big time spender on slabbed books (my most expensive slabbed book is about $100 US.)

I was pretty much out of my field with regards to restoration being a big deal (or not.)

Also, it has allowed for a lot more differentiation among various high grade copies. Thus you have 9.4- 9.6 - 9.8 copies of books instead of three NM - NM+ books. You and I could probably argue until we are blue in the face whether the PC or Curator copy of book X is nicer or better or higher grade. But if CGC says PC is 9.8 and Curator is 9.6 the BSD's will let the money do the talking.

Also, it has allowed for a lot more differentiation among various high grade copies. Thus you have 9.4- 9.6 - 9.8 copies of books instead of three NM - NM+ books. You and I could probably argue until we are blue in the face whether the PC or Curator copy of book X is nicer or better or higher grade. But if CGC says PC is 9.8 and Curator is 9.6 the BSD's will let the money do the talking.

Really good point, does this raise the problem where: If two copies are cgc 9.8, but one is say (humour me) OW pages, but otherwise perfect and the other is pure white pages, identical in all ways but has a slight ding making it 9.8, PRE cgc would these two books be rated the same and would prices be relatively closer now/varied before cgc?

Without the "Almighty CGC Number", the company would have folded the day after it opened.

That "Big Number" (which has gotten bigger with each new label revision) draws the speculators like flies, which in turn, attracts CGC's real customers, the major dealers. Without that, you don't even have a business plan.

Really good point, does this raise the problem where: If two copies are cgc 9.8, but one is say (humour me) OW pages, but otherwise perfect and the other is pure white pages, identical in all ways but has a slight ding making it 9.8, PRE cgc would these two books be rated the same and would prices be relatively closer now/varied before cgc?

Pre-CGC it was just a matter of who wanted the book and what multiples of guide would be charged and paid. Now, I think the white pager gets a very slight premium paid for it, at least in the abstract, and assuming that there are multiple willing and able bidders for the item..