• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Touchy subject - fraudulent CGC books being sold?!

123 posts in this topic

All you have to do is get yourself the same equipment that CGC use to slab the comics in the first place and you'll have a nice little criminal enterprise in the making.

Mother of mercy - is this the end of CGC!

So I appreciate the joking around, and the experts weighing in to bring comfort.

But if you are new to the encased book market and joined this board for the amazing education, if anything take that as a compliment. We are recognizing your extensive experience and ability to mentor so we do not make the same mistakes as others.

Just wanted to ensure the posting intent was very clear.

All you have to do is get yourself the same equipment that CGC use to slab the comics in the first place and you'll have a nice little criminal enterprise in the making.

and hack into their database and insert your serial numbers. i'm sure this "criminal enterprise' would last roughly as long as it took to type this.

and hack into their database and insert your serial numbers. i'm sure this "criminal enterprise' would last roughly as long as it took to type this.

Not quite.

You have legitimate serial numbers...it's just that you've cracked and swapped, matching them with POS books, most likely those with non-obvious resto.

The de-slabbed book then gets sent to CGC, and gets a new serial number, and you've got a 'two for the price of one deal'. :eek:

Unless you repeat with the same book, and then you have a 'three for the price of one' thing happening. :headbang:

Not quite.

You have legitimate serial numbers...it's just that you've cracked and swapped, matching them with POS books, most likely those with non-obvious resto.

The de-slabbed book then gets sent to CGC, and gets a new serial number, and you've got a 'two for the price of one deal'. :eek:

Unless you repeat with the same book, and then you have a 'three for the price of one' thing happening. :headbang:

:o

Reminds me of when I was a narc and we did a search of a suspected drug house and found nothing. No money. No drugs. Yet, our info was from a reliable source, and we were stumped.

Then, I was searching in the attic and found some kind of contraption that I didn't know what the heck it was. I took it down stairs and we all tried to figure out what it was. Then one detective said, "I know what that is. It is for sealing cans".

Yep. It was a machine that seals food cans. So we opened the cans in the kitchen cabinets, with a regular ole can opener. Large coffee cans and small soup cans. BEHOLD.....Every can in the cupboards was full of either cash or cocaine.

It was a simple machine that one person could carry with one hand, yet it could seal any can just like the factory could.

Now, I don't equate this to CGC slabs exactly. But it does show that if CGC can do it. So can someone else. Heck, isn't that what the other slabbing companies do (PGX and one or two others (are they still around)).

If there is something you want to conterfeit, be it a Rembrandt or a CGC slab. There is someone who can make it happen. Heck, the janitor at CGC may be able to do it, on weekends. (I am not accusing the janitor at CGC of such things (if they even have one). Just trying to make a point.

There are fake Michael Jordan rookie cards. Fake TMNT #1's. Fake Picasso's and fake Rolex's. Surely, there are fake or tampered with slabs, and not many of us would have the knowledge, eyesight or even time to check. Just because I buy a slabbed comic from a reputable person, doesn't mean that the reputable person wasn't duped when he got it (unless of course he got it straight from CGC).

Things that make you go hmmm.

Yea, unfortunately scans usually do not show missing coupons, color touch, tape on the inside, and restoration. Additonally, there are very very few people who come to the same conclusion on the grade of a comic book, as does CGC. For instance. A set of scans of a slabbed Green Lantern #76, could be a 9.4 or a 9.0, and that is a huge difference. Many hear (including Borock I believe) will laugh at you if you state for certain what the specific grade of a scanned slabbed book is here, if you could not see the label. Some will get it wrong and some will get it right. Do you really want to pay 9.4 prices for a GL #76, and get a 9.0? Or a Hulk 9.8 price for a 9.4? Huge differences. Sure, many of us will get in the ballpark, but at best, 25% of the time we will be wrong. Just look at the "grading contests" and "please grade my" forums. A very few here are right 90% of the time.

As with all things in life. Buyer beware and deal with those you trust. Sometimes you are the dog and sometimes you are the fire hydrant, but your odds increase tremendously if you deal with those you trust or are recommended by those you trust.

There have been threads here about robojo whats-his-name and how some continue to support him (because of the potential for obtaing a highly sought after book), even though he is known to practice shams (and we are talking "Sham-Wows here).

Buy the comic because you like it or want it for your collection.

Spend as little or as much as you want or can afford.

Don't worry too much if somebody else has the same comic in a slightly higher grade than you.

After all - it's only a comic.

Buy the comic because you like it or want it for your collection.

Spend as little or as much as you want or can afford.

Don't worry too much if somebody else has the same comic in a slightly higher grade than you.

After all - it's only a comic.

:oHeresy!!!

Not quite.

criminal mind. hm gotta watch your offerings going forward. all those raw VF books you sell that come back 9.4's. :cloud9: there must be something insidious going on. honestly tho, is there any topic that people can't worry about? so your house has lost 35% of its value and your 401k is down 40% but what about that funny book you paid $50 for- maybe it's been re-engineered. rantrant it's a hobby, have fun; if it's causing 'agita' take up knitting.

Yes. It is a hobby. I also play the stock market as a "hobby". I expect to lose sometimes, but I also expect to win MOST of the time. I am the first to admit on here (as far as I know) that I do not buy "what I like" only. I also buy more of what I believe will be a good investment, even if I do not like them. I suspect most of us do. But one could make the argument that one LIKES WHAT BECOMES MORE VALUABLE. So....I guess I do buy what I like.

But I get your point and it is well taken. If you just like to read the books and look at the books, then by what you like.

But, if you want a return on your investment, buy some silly bikini artwork signed by Michael Turner. I don't care much at all for girls beating up guys in comic books (although some bikini clad cartoon characters do have sort of a "draw"), but I buy some because many fans do like that kind of stuff.

Eh. To each his own.

I am the first to admit on here (as far as I know) that I do not buy "what I like" only. I also buy more of what I believe will be a good investment, even if I do not like them. I suspect most of us do.

That is horrible advice for anyone lame enough to invest in funny books.

Trust your own taste, which if it's good enough and relevant to others, will pay off in the future. This "buy what you think others will want, even if you hate it" will get you in serious trouble, as that uses none of your own personal evaluation, and puts you at a serious disadvantage.

I've always bought what I liked, and while I have never purchased a book for investment, I suspect I have come out alright by concentrating on BA Marvels almost exclusively. Trusting my own instincts has also saved me from getting sucked into the Independent Craze of the 80's and the Chromium Madness of the 1990's.

"Buy what you like" is excellent advice, and if you *really* want to invest, then buy 10 of what you like.

"Buy what you like" is excellent advice, and if you *really* want to invest, then buy 10 of what you like."

Yea, that makes sense.

Yea, right. You are assumming that your taste are what most like. In your case, it should be obvious that it is the exact opposite.

By the way. I am not giving advice to anyone that is listening and heeding. Everyone here is an adult and does not ask "how high" when conditionfreak says "jump". I am saying what I do. What I apply in my own personal case, and hobby, and investments. Those here that are not adults, do not have the money to spend on big investments, and therefore can not lose much.

Please do buy ten of things you like, and good luck with that.

I am the first to admit on here (as far as I know) that I do not buy "what I like" only. I also buy more of what I believe will be a good investment, even if I do not like them. I suspect most of us do.

That is horrible advice for anyone lame enough to invest in funny books.

Trust your own taste, which if it's good enough and relevant to others, will pay off in the future. This "buy what you think others will want, even if you hate it" will get you in serious trouble, as that uses none of your own personal evaluation, and puts you at a serious disadvantage.

I've always bought what I liked, and while I have never purchased a book for investment, I suspect I have come out alright by concentrating on BA Marvels almost exclusively. Trusting my own instincts has also saved me from getting sucked into the Independent Craze of the 80's and the Chromium Madness of the 1990's.

"Buy what you like" is excellent advice, and if you *really* want to invest, then buy 10 of what you like.

I am of the opinion that the large amount of money one can make on silver and golden age books is bringing the criminal minds into our hobby. For 100,000 some former KBG agents have figured out out to replicate CGC, open sealed graded comics or whatever. I bought severl great comics from the most reputable dealer years ago that were restored. What I found out is he got them from x who got them from y.He was in no way at fault but I FELT SAFE WITH HIM..................................

Yea, right. You are assumming that your taste are what most like. In your case, it should be obvious that it is the exact opposite.

Exactly how long have you been here?

In the 80's I was buying HG Bronze Marvels, in the 1990's I was buying HG Bronze Marvels, and in the 2000's I am still buying HG Bronze Marvels - that's all I like and all I've ever bought... so you're saying that no one is interested in HG Bronze Marvels today?

You should really get that out as a special bulletin because I'm not sure the auction results agree with you.

"anyone lame enough to invest in funny books"

I wonder how lame the "Dentist" feels?

The Dentist is a COLLECTOR, a true hardcore one at that, who is not interested in the monetary returns and has stated he will leave his books to his son.

That's the kind of person who usually comes out way ahead, as he buys what he likes, pays what he's comfortable with, and holds it.

"anyone lame enough to invest in funny books"

I wonder how lame the "Dentist" feels?

The Dentist is a COLLECTOR, a true hardcore one at that, who is not interested in the monetary returns and has stated he will leave his books to his son.

That's the kind of person who usually comes out way ahead, as he buys what he likes, pays what he's comfortable with, and holds it.

Amen to that approach! That's why I don't purchase complete runs anymore of a given character, but rather those great story arcs that stick in all our minds as groundbreaking.

And Marvel Bronze has been high on my list for a long time, so glad to see I'm in good company.