• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who think this would help CGC

54 posts in this topic

I think it has been mentioned before on this board, by someone who would know, that CGC doesn't make scads of money. It takes time to properly grade a comic and the materials involved in encasing a book aren't cheap. Not to mention all the other costs associated with running a business.

I am not saying that CGC is raking it in, I am just saying that they provide a service that the collecter appreciates and/or wants, where as the big three, have not made a competitive automobile in the last twenty years. IMHO everyone knows that the most fuel efficient and affordable cars are not made in Detroit.

I hear you about Detroit autos. I haven't bought an american made car since my Chrysler Cordoba that made me walk home many times. Granted I think they are making some pretty good cars now.

I doubt CGC can afford to build a second facility with the margins they have. What happens when most of the high grade, grading worthy comics get graded? Will enough books get pressed for submission? Will enough books be resubmitted on the hope of a better grade? Will enough books get resubmitted to change the paper inside?

Get a facility in the UK, I know there are myself and three other friends who would submit ehough books between us to keep the place open!

The shipping rates are killer to get books graded from over here, last batch of 12 I submitted cost $170 just to ship there and back. Then add the grading fees and it becomes extremely expensive.

I would never expect a CGC facility over here though, even though I reckon a lot more people in the UK would submit books if there were one.

A facility in NY would be nice... lol

Would this help CGC? Hard to say... I'd be prone to bringing more books in but would the increase in walk through submissions justify the added overhead expense to CGC? hm

Probably Not. Quality control might also be an issue with multiple offices IMO.

I picked CHICAGO because of the location & how many states it borders.

Given that I think CGC would stand to make much more money than being in florida because people wouldn't mind to see the city while they wait for there books to be done PLUS I see more people sending in books because they would have there stuff back in a shorter time than what it is right now.

Dude, best place to locate a new CGC facility would be northern Canada. Earthquake free, hurricane free, nary a typhoon and yet nice and cold to keep the comic pages nice and white.

There was a underground facility up north in Canada that did suffer some flood damage. But I understand that it is currently available.

I think it has been mentioned before on this board, by someone who would know, that CGC doesn't make scads of money. It takes time to properly grade a comic and the materials involved in encasing a book aren't cheap. Not to mention all the other costs associated with running a business.

I think the latter part of your post is more accurate because I imagine the bulk of CGC revenue goes towards paying insurance, payroll and rent. The materials used to slab the comics are relatively cheap, especially at the bulk rates they buy them at. The sealing machines were probably their biggest expense.

As I understand it compared to coins and cards CGC and comics are a distant third, but I have often wondered exactly what their profit margin is compared to the other two.

And just can't see CGC opening another facility, the cost would be too great, as would staffing it properly. If they see a dramatic increase in submissions over the next few years they will probably just expand their Sarasota office and give Litch his first raise.

Dude, best place to locate a new CGC facility would be northern Canada. Earthquake free, hurricane free, nary a typhoon and yet nice and cold to keep the comic pages nice and white.

There was a underground facility up north in Canada that did suffer some flood damage. But I understand that it is currently available.

I think I heard of that but apparently the water was American water. :baiting:

Unfortunately, I'm expecting them to increase prices by 5 to 10% probably within the next year. :eek:

Having a CGC facility in Chicago would be great, especially since I only live about 100 miles from there. I don't think quality control would be that much of a problem considering that multiple facilities could just access all necessary files on a network (my company does it all the time).

I have a better idea. Let's all move to Florida! I HATE winter!

Unfortunately, I'm expecting them to increase prices by 5 to 10% probably within the next year. :eek:

Having a CGC facility in Chicago would be great, especially since I only live about 100 miles from there. I don't think quality control would be that much of a problem considering that multiple facilities could just access all necessary files on a network (my company does it all the time).

-30C outside, roads are krappy. Ft Lauderdale here I come.

I'm with you Mike -- :applause:

Winters just suck here to but if CGC had a place for me to go every on fridays l would be willing to suffer through it.

If your business is "okay" and the economy is in the tank then just about the last thing you want to do is expand. The marginal increase in submissions would hardly justify the type of investment that would need to be made nor the incremental increase in recurring expenses and management headaches. CGC used to be based out of the NJ offices where I think the coin guys are still primarily based. They could much more cheaply put a few folks up there should they wish/need to expand and it would be very close to what I suspect is a considerable base of CGC submitters.

That's a pretty simplistic view, especially if you understand how and why CGC was formed in the first place. The "grading" part of the business is only a small part of it, and the ability to create a viable auction market for graded books, not to mention an increase in net worth, is a far more lucrative business for the owners.

Or do you think it's a coincidence that Heritage *also* auctions off CGC books? :whistle:

If CGC were to open a second grading center, I think California would be dreamy. :cloud9:

That way they are in striking distance for drop off submissions/ collections for west coast dealers.

Hard to predict if grading submissions will increase or decrease over the next few years. Eventually, the supply runs out ?