• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you avoid the Water Cooler at all costs...

18 posts in this topic

because of all the Political threads...

then please visit this thread and voice your opinion by voting in my poll.

It asks a very simple question: should we separate the Political discussions from everything else so the Water Cooler can be a place to talk about music, sports, movies, tv shows, video games, concerts, sporting events, pets, parenting, space exploration, etc...?

Thanks for taking the time to vote...

'House

And just so this post has something to do with comics, has anyone read Hulk 181 lately? tongue.gif

And just so this post has something to do with comics, has anyone read Hulk 181 lately? tongue.gif

I try not to go "up there" much, as it will destroy one's perception of some of the posters around here!

But speaking of good movies, "Enemy at the Gates" is currently on TNT - very good WWII movie if you're into that genre! And to keep it on topic in the comics forum, I'll throw out that it's possible they got some of their set ideas from Joe Kubert?? Or maybe not...

It asks a very simple question: should we separate the Political discussions from everything else so the Water Cooler can be a place to talk about music, sports, movies, tv shows, video games, concerts, sporting events, pets, parenting, space exploration, etc...?

'House

I voted for a seperate Political Forum! Fine idea.

'House

But doesn't everything become a political topic eventually? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

'House

But doesn't everything become a political topic eventually? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Danged Ring Wing Radical Conservative !

Do you really think that will help? Most of those [!@#%^&^] will ruin any thread anyway. they should put the water cooler on hold for awhile.

I sent Arch this suggestion, but it probably fell on deaf ears. There should be an off-topic comic forum, so that we don't have to venture into the water cooler. Another great forum would be a Have a Cigar forum, where you could post all sorts pictures.

Do you really think that will help? Most of those [!@#%^&^] will ruin any thread anyway. they should put the water cooler on hold for awhile.

I sent Arch this suggestion, but it probably fell on deaf ears. There should be an off-topic comic forum, so that we don't have to venture into the water cooler. Another great forum would be a Have a Cigar forum, where you could post all sorts pictures.

I have to disagree with you there... I think there is a lot of value in having a Water Cooler that brings together the folks from the coins, comics, and cards forums to talk to each other... Some of the most interesting threads I have read here were upstairs. The ones I started about concerts and sporting events turned out far better than I could have expected. Joanna's thread asking for dog stories was great (even if I did kept getting dust in my eyes for some reason while reading them). The thread about whether to make the kid walk home from school or drop him off wound up being more interesting reading than many of the threads here. We've had good discussions about everything from music to movies to video games to cooking, with participation from all types of collectors.

In principle I like the idea of a separate Have A Cigar forum, so that each person's item could be its own thread and you could scroll through the "topics" to see what the different items were, rather than going through 400 replies, some of which are new items and some of which aren't. But implementation of that might be a little tricky to get right.

Separating the Water Cooler into two forums is as easy as pie. And I think it would make the moderators jobs easier, since it would be a clearcut violation for someone to hijack a thread about soup recipes and try to talk politics. Plus it would probably make the forums friendlier to newcomers. People expect argument and heated debate in a political forum. They don't necessarily expect it when they come in asking who saw the VH1 Big in 2003 special tonight. I think it would improve the experience for newcomers dramatically if the only place they saw mudslinging was in a place they would fully expect to...

Separating the Water Cooler into two forums is as easy as pie. And I think it would make the moderators jobs easier, since it would be a clearcut violation for someone to hijack a thread about soup recipes and try to talk politics. Plus it would probably make the forums friendlier to newcomers. People expect argument and heated debate in a political forum.

Wise words! You betcha!!!!! thumbsup2.gif

I agree with you ' House I think there should be a water cooler for topics that people wish to share. However it gets annoying when users post threads that have no purpose and then get hundreds of replies. Of course there are also the users that only post in the water cooler, what possible benefit does this have?

I think the water cooler has had some excellent posts, however they are few and far between. Even when threads seem informative, they are ruined by insults, inane comments, and heavy emoticon usage.

Well it looks like a sizable majority agree so far... and Arch has weighed in saying he has considered the idea...

I guess we'll see what happens...

If you haven't voted yet, please do!

'House

You don't get around much huh? 27_laughing.gif

Lots of chit chat places are like that.

Don't you remember what it was like right after 9/11?

juggle.gif