• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Roll-Call! Official sign-up & vote for Mega-Con Forum dinner.

147 posts in this topic

Okay guys, here it is. I'll be handling the lions share of the organization for the Forum dinner this year at Mega-Con, with some generous assistance from Joeypost. If you guys have questions, feel free to PM either one of us.

Mega-Con falls on the last weekend of February this year, which is also the same weekend as WonderCon. Some folks, like Steve Borock, will not be attending because they will instead be in Cali that weekend. However, the Mega-Con forum dinner has grown from 5 people in 2005 to over 20+ last year, and its always a fun crowd of folks.

We've been at Tony Romas the last two years, and its been pretty good all around. However, some folks have suggested moving it to some place more upscale.

So, here is my suggestion, let's take a quick vote:

We have either Tony Roma's as one possibility, or Vitos Chop House as another.

They are both located on I-drive, less then a mile from the convention center (so they are fairly convenient).

Prices are going to vary between $20-$30 per dinner per person average for Tony Romas. At Vitos, you are looking at $40-$60/per person. And since its all a la carte, it can get more pricey then that. This, of course, does not cover the cost of alcohol at either location. Some folks have offered to pay more then their fair share to help offset the cost of the dinner for those who wouldn't normally eat at a place like Vitos. Having attended several dinners before, I can tell you the bill always gets paid and with a hefty gratuity to boot because most folks contribute more then they need to.

The only other issue is that of attendance. If we go to Vitos, since they require reservations or for a room to be booked, I need not only your commitment to attend but possibly a deposit of some sort as well if we book a private room. I'll find out more about that this week. Tony Romas is pretty flexible, you just call them the week that you are going to be there, give them a rough number of people attending, and they'll set up tables in a room (not private though) in the back fo the restaurant.

So, if you plan on attending, please let me know in this thread by January 15th, and please cast your vote for either Tony Romas or Vitos.

Thanks!

Doing the Seattle show in Feb and my daughter really wants to go to Megacon.

Besides, Orlando is only a two hour drive from my house and you, Joe, Mike, Stephen, Brent(?) and some of my other good friends will be there :banana:

Okay guys....if we go with Vitos, we also have an option of a "Group menu", which will fix most of our cost.

It breaks down into three tiers (low, medium, and high).

Low:

For $47/person (+ 20% gratuity), we get:

House salad, one appetizer (calamari) for the group, choice of dessert from dessert platter, and choice of four entrees:

Jumbo Fried Shrimp

Pork Chops De Vito

20 Oz Tuscan T-Bone

Wood Roasted Chicken Cacciatore

(All come with roasted garlic potatoes, sauteed mushrooms, asparagus, and fresh bread)

Medium:

For $68.00/person (+ 20% gratuity), we get;

House salad, choice of dessert from Dessert Platter.

Three appetizers:

Seared Tuna Sashimi

Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail

Mozzerella Malazon

Choice of Entrees:

13 Oz Filet Mignon

Prime Ribeye

Cedar Plank Roasted King Salmon

Chicken Marsala

(All come with roasted garlic potatoes, sauteed mushrooms, asparagus, and fresh bread)

There is also one for $95/person, and you really eat like a king on that one, but I think that's getting out of our budget.

So, if you want Vitos, let me know which of the two appeals to you.

Keep in mind, we don't have to have a group menu...we can always just reserve a table for 20+ and order individually. That might be the best way to go if one person wants a $20 basic meal, while another wants the $60 surf and turf.

I am fine with either location, although if we go to Vito's, I prefer it to be seperate checks (I am certain to be eating a diet comprised mainly of funnybooks for most of the weekend).

Hopefully the dinner will be Saturday night like it traditionally is. I missed last years due to having to work the Magic game. This year the game is on Friday night. So if the forum dinner is Saturdaythe 28th, I am in! :acclaim:

I'm in too, at least tentatively. I have a field project coming up in February or March that a date hasn't been set for yet so I'm hoping it won't conflict. :wishluck:

My vote is for Vito's. I don't really have a preference on how we pay as I'm thinking that 13oz filet is calling my name no matter what. :cloud9:

OK folks. We need to get an official list started so George and I know who is coming and what everyone can expect to pay. Looks like Vito’s is the restaurant of choice and we will plan on a reservation there.

Please add your name to the list and any significant other that will be attending with you.

I'll get er' going.

joeypost

jiveturkeymofo