• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your *WORST* speculation purchase

97 posts in this topic

Did anyone go through the black and white phase after TMNT came out. It seems everytime you looked a new black and white immitator was on the rack. Alot of people started buying black and whites hoping they would end up like the Turtles. And I did get suckered in. I dont remember how many copies of Blackbelt Hamsters and Deadworld I had put away until the day I could unleash them for big profits. I think I finally unleashed them in a box at a garage sale along with some Fish Police. Man, did I hate to admit this.

DRX :screwy:

New Mutants 1, 100 copies at 25% discount. Gotta be hot, it's the first X-Men #1 in decades, right?

...right?

Actually, I eventually made a buck or two, some sold at a couple bucks each or a little better when the series was still popular, and the leftovers eventually sold out of 50 cent and dollar boxes at shows. Not huge markup when my cost was 45 cents each, but better than selling for a loss. I believe I still have two copies tucked away somewhere in the basement Crypt of Comics...

I was a sucker for those all chrome covers when they first came out. Not the ones with the chrome cards glued to the cover but the solid chrome ones. I got 50 copies of Bloodshot 0, 50 more Shadowman 0, and 20 or more copies of the Zen, Intergalactic Ninja books. I still have them...Oh yeah, and 50 copies of X-Men 2099 #1.

Some of my speculations

50 copies of Superman #1 (Byrne)

50 copies of the Justice League (1980s)

50 copies of Wonder Woman (1980s)

10 copies`Web of Spiderman

10 copies Spiderman vs Wolverine

5 copies of Batman and Detective during the 1980s

5+ copies of McFarlane Spidermans depending on the cover

How about the polybagged "Rise of the Midnight Sons" storyline that came out in the early 90's? :o

Just so you know, they are bringing back the Midnight Sons for Marvel Zombies Vol. 4.

So you might be able to sell them yet... out of your quarter box!

- Also bought Midnight Sons

My worst speculation purchase was buying ten sets of the "Spider-Man Marquee Collection" at $189.90 a pop.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2850279&fpart=1

TEN?

What the hell? Don't you know anything that sells with a 4 x easy payments of blah blah blah is just crazy.... though heaven knows i really want a miracle blade so i can cut some dry wall up and install a window.

I want a Garden Weasel, because it's one of the best product names ever.

I also want Billy Mays' head on a platter. The Sham-Wow guy too.

Hahhaha, the Sham-Wow guy. Where did they find that guy? haha

Just saw him in a new commercial for something called "Slap Chop". :applause:

Just saw him in a new commercial for something called "Slap Chop". :applause:

Yeah, I've seen that too. I already have something like it, only better. No slapping involved, it's called a blender . Uses that newfangled electricity stuff.

Okay. Now that everyone has confessed about their bad speculation buys, who is going to run out next week and buy a stack of the Spiderman/Obama comics.

short term, yes, long term, no.

...unless you can get that yellow label on it...

"SIGNED BY BARACK OBAMA AT INAUGURATION CEREMONY on January 20, 2009"

(worship)

yesterday my wife saw the snuggie at Rite Aid for $15 and bought it. my 3 year old son was SO excited when she brought it into the car and showed it to him. once again he said "it's for children too"!!!!!!

anywayz, at home we opened it up and put it on him as per his request. really cute except he's about 3 feet to short for it. but i rolled up the arms and wrapped the rest of it around him so he could run around in it for a while. he got tired of it unwrapping and such and finally admitted it was too big for him and that really mommy should wear it (which she did).

anyway, he's more interested in the clamp on book light that came with it. i turned the lights out and mommy read bible stories to him with the little light on. given that they were adam & eve and noah's ark, those are pretty scary so having the lights out made sense.