• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your *WORST* speculation purchase

97 posts in this topic

We've all got some story of a good bargain or a not so smart buy but what about those truly horrendous speculation buys ( a box of x-force 1, a 1000 XXX's)

Just wondering if anyone has any terrible (Read:funny) speculation storys?

My speculation is pretty limited...i'm pretty sure when i was about 10 i bought 3 #1's (bishop,phoenix and...cap +wolverine (shrug) ) thinking they'd be worth something one day....then as you do i shoved them in a shoe box after throwing them around the room a lot...

But yes, Worst speculation ever?

I personally have never speculated, but I do speculate that I will speculate on some speculation in the future! :banana:

13 copies of Dark Knight Returns #1. :tonofbricks:

If they were first prints, you could've done a lot worse.

In my case: 5 - 10 copies of X-Force 1, X-Men 1, Turok 1, Ninjak 1, Bloodshot 1, ASM 361, various Lady Deaths, Darkchyldes, Battle Chasers, Gen 13s, Spawns, Spawn miniseries etc.

All from long ago...took me a while but I learnt my lesson.

...just to swing the coin the other way....

Having 2 copies of FF#55 in 9.6, and selling one thinking it had peaked at $2,000, and it would be just stupid to hold 2 copies of the book.

...then the clink auction has one go for $10,000!! :odoh!doh!doh!

or selling down my 5 copies of TTA #93, thinking it had completely peaked.

Now a 9.4 is $1,000 book, and 9.6 is 'pick a number over $3,500' doh!doh!doh!

...just to swing the coin the other way....

Having 2 copies of FF#55 in 9.6, and selling one thinking it had peaked at $2,000, and it would be just stupid to hold 2 copies of the book.

...then the clink auction has one go for $10,000!! :odoh!doh!doh!

or selling down my 5 copies of TTA #93, thinking it had completely peaked.

Now a 9.4 is $1,000 book, and 9.6 is 'pick a number over $3,500' doh!doh!doh!

I bought one of those TTA 93s. Bwahahahaha! :P

Buying 50 copies of X-Men #1E, 1991.

Comics Buyers Guide and other publications were making a big deal out of this issue because it had the first glimpse of a "hot" new character called Omega Red, and that he was going to be the next Sabertooth. Hmmmm.

I personally have never speculated, but I do speculate that I will speculate on some speculation in the future! :banana:
:screwy:

Comics Buyers Guide and other publications were making a big deal out of this issue because it had the first glimpse of a "hot" new character called Omega Red, and that he was going to be the next Sabertooth. Hmmmm.

Oh yeah, he was just huge. Totally made it, i remember watching the 'toons on tv and just thinking 'who the F is this guy?' (and i REALLY liked xmen as a kid!)

:screwy:

Oh yeah, he was just huge. Totally made it, i remember watching the 'toons on tv and just thinking 'who the F is this guy?' (and i REALLY liked xmen as a kid!)

EXACTLY! So the research was there, but Marvel didn't deliver. Lesson learned!

I bought A LOT of Eclipys Manga books. Stuff like Area 88, Mai The Psychic Girl, Kamui, etc. There seemed to be considerable buzz when these books came out.

:P:tonofbricks:

As a 15 year old, I was hyped up on the issuance of DAZZLER #1 by one of our LCS owners at the time. I think I bought like 30 or 50 copies at the time. That was a lot of money for me during those years.

What were we thinking in those days? :insane:

Dazzler #1 = the death of the Bronze Age!

Buying multiple copies of :

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turt.......oh, wait.

I mean--

Adolescent Radioactive Blackbelt Hamsters

Geriatric Gerbils

Gangrene Kung Fu Geriatric Kangaroos

:roflmao: I remember when ARBH came out...the LCS guy made a point to show it to me and remind me of TMNT. Yes...I bought one....just one though :)

Oh, and it was Pre-teen Dirty-gene Kung-Fu Kangaroos if I remember correctly (thumbs u

I unearthed a box with 200 copies of Spirits Of Vengeance #1 in it a few years ago. Even though I paid wholesale for them when they came out that's $300 I'll never get back.