• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FORUM DINNER FOR PHOENIX COMIC-CON

85 posts in this topic

Just scout anywhere local but somewhere we can get a beer or something. I intend to try and persuade cujobyte to join us for dinner, so it's looking like 4 people.

John -- I'm only in for Friday -- sorry.

Hi guys! :hi:

Looks like I can join for the Fri/Sat nite events. I have Brian's digits, grinder i'll send ya my cell if I dont' see ya on Fri. Should be fun, my first con!!!!

I was excited tonight, Grinder. :)

I got in tonight. They had a Preview thing going on, and I figured I would just get my badge so I wouldn't have to stand in line tomorrow and check out things. To my surprise, I was able to walk around and buy comics...

Oh, and tomorrow and Saturday, I doubt it'll be too tough to figure out who I am.

I'd like to eat around 8 PM, if that's possible and that's when the show closes.

I spoke with Oregano's this evening and they won't take reservations. They said to figure on a 30-40 minute wait if coming in around 7:30. We can get a drink while we wait, though.

Tomorrow's going to be a LONG day as I'm planning on being at the con shortly after noon... I may take a break after a while and go relax somewhere.

Sorry to let you down, but I am already in Mesa and I got your request too late.

Terry O.

That's OK. There's always next year if you come back even though Harley isn't. I talked to him for a few minutes and he said you were somewhere else, so I figured I'd catch you later this weekend.

Yeah, Preview Night was fun, and I'm looking forward to tomorrow. I have to head to the airport after 6 pm to pick up some familiar names, so we should be back in the convention center area by 7:30 or 8ish. Are we meeting at the front entrance and picking a place? Or does someone want to venture to a place like Oregano's around 7:30 to put us down for a table and the rest show up at 8?

I'm game, just tell me when and where and any relevant driving directions, since this California guy doesn't know the area too well... :)

Joel

P.S. Not sure about my forum access during the day tomorrow so anytime from 12-6, someone stop by the Hero Initiative table, I'll most likely be there, let me know the plans for dinner. Thanks! :)

Man, I hate to be a Debbie Downer, and usually don't say anything if I don't have something nice to say. But the Phoenix Comicon is still very disappointing. I hadn't been for several years, but the last time I went it was about 3 aisles, each aisle about 10 tables long on each side. So I went to preview night last night, expecting it to be somewhere in the middle of what it was when held in Glendale, and a nice con like Philly or Baltimore. I was very disappointed that it's about the same as it was the last time I went. Before we got married last year, my wife and I went to the Bridal Expo at the Phoenix Civic Center, and that was 10 times larger than the Phoenix Comicon.

I saw about 5 comic dealers (Harley was there!), and no deals to speak of. The best deals I saw were 2 dealers selling all collected works for 50% off. I bought a JLA Showcase for $8.50. Considering getting some DC Archives for $25/ea tonight. (Atomic has all their graphic novels and TPB's for 10% off...) My wife and I met Wil Wheaton, and I bought her his book which he signed for her. Erin Gray was there too, but since no one came to her booth, she packed up early and left.

We're going tonight and Saturday, and maybe Sunday to see if anyone has a fire sale. I like to support my local comic convention. I just wish it would be taken to the next level already. I'm not sure I can stay all day Saturday. You can only loiter around the 5 comic booths for so long. And I'm not really interested in panels about how to write and draw for comics. Am I the only one who feels this way?

I'll post a report tomorrow (possibly late tomorrow), but while the show is a bit of a dud, I did come up with a number of deals, as did cujobyte and generalzod.

Now one dealer who had some slabbed books (and some of them were nice) told me when I asked if I could take a raw book out and look at it that I couldn't take it out. I was like, can I take this out, and he laughed and said no way. I think I might have even asked, can you take it out, and he said no. He's in the back of the hall. Zod was with me when this happened, and we were both shocked at the dealer's response. Sincerely suggest you all skip ever dealing with him as a result. I'm not 100% of the name of the dealer, so I don't want to post it in case I'm wrong -- but let's just say he had some decent slabs that weren't even priced badly -- but that raw book experience was it for me -- I will never deal with him again.

Incidentally, Terry O'Neill was at Harley's booth today (think he is gone rest of weekend) but I got some fantastic books from him. Just a pleasure dealing with him.

Harley was fantastic to chat with and check out the guy right next to Harley. Accurate grading and fair pricing -- pleasure to deal with and friendly. Guy's name was Ed.

I'll post a report tomorrow (possibly late tomorrow), but while the show is a bit of a dud, I did come up with a number of deals, as did cujobyte and generalzod.

Now one dealer who had some slabbed books (and some of them were nice) told me when I asked if I could take a raw book out and look at it that I couldn't take it out. I was like, can I take this out, and he laughed and said no way. I think I might have even asked, can you take it out, and he said no. He's in the back of the hall. Zod was with me when this happened, and we were both shocked at the dealer's response. Sincerely suggest you all skip ever dealing with him as a result. I'm not 100% of the name of the dealer, so I don't want to post it in case I'm wrong -- but let's just say he had some decent slabs that weren't even priced badly -- but that raw book experience was it for me -- I will never deal with him again.

Was it Tom Kalb? That guy used to have a store in town, and has always been an a-hole. He is located in the back of the con.

BrianR, that's the price you pay for waiting later in the con. Foolkiller and cujobyte are vultures. :) I was just along for the ride. I did snag two particular goodies. I missed out on a nicely priced Marvel Spotlight #5 that I stupidly said I would sleep on and come back to look at again today. It was sold not long before I returned.

Was it Tom Kalb? That guy used to have a store in town, and has always been an a-hole. He is located in the back of the con.

No, that wasn't him. Kalb was fine with Foolkiller's queries. The dealer in question is the one to the right (south) of the Atomic Comics booth, the furthest comic dealer in the back. I can't remember his name either, but his booth is called "The Comic Store".

I also want to echo Foolkiller's statements about Harley and Terry. Good guys. Harley's crazy for thinking of taking the Steelers with seven points, though, I say. :sumo:

Ed Robertson isn't an actual dealer, but he'd make a good one if he went full-time.

I spotted a large banner inside the exhibitor hall that announces the con will be moving next year rather than in two. That's great news, because there will be quite a bit more space and room for new dealers to come in.

Phx_Con_2010_banner.jpg

It was great meeting up with everyone. While the show was far from stellar, it was about what I expected. Almost all the comic dealers who were there last year returned, but unfortunately, no one new entered the fray.

I picked up a few older books thanks to Terry, who happened to call prior to the show and was able to get some things to me via Harley. I also picked up a nice Sgt. Fury #13 from Tom Kalb. I saw someone on the boards trash him, and I couldn't disagree more. Tom is a great dealer, and I have always had good experiences buying books from him. I even picked up a piece of his original art that was cool.

It will be interesting to see if moving to Phoenix will be good for the show. It will be closer to where I live, so I am all in favor of that. I wonder if the increased space will encourage more dealers to sign up to do the show or will we just be stuck with more annoying cosplay kids running around the place?

It was great meeting up with everyone. While the show was far from stellar, it was about what I expected. Almost all the comic dealers who were there last year returned, but unfortunately, no one new entered the fray.

I picked up a few older books thanks to Terry, who happened to call prior to the show and was able to get some things to me via Harley. I also picked up a nice Sgt. Fury #13 from Tom Kalb. I saw someone on the boards trash him, and I couldn't disagree more. Tom is a great dealer, and I have always had good experiences buying books from him. I even picked up a piece of his original art that was cool.

It will be interesting to see if moving to Phoenix will be good for the show. It will be closer to where I live, so I am all in favor of that. I wonder if the increased space will encourage more dealers to sign up to do the show or will we just be stuck with more annoying cosplay kids running around the place?

Can't wait to see some posts of what you guys picked up (especially that Sgt. Fury #13, one of my favorite covers).

Brian

No, no one trashed tom kalb... it was another guy. Tom was fine.

I also picked up a nice Sgt. Fury #13 from Tom Kalb. I saw someone on the boards trash him, and I couldn't disagree more. Tom is a great dealer, and I have always had good experiences buying books from him.

It was me. I've only encountered him a few times, and have had bad experiences. One time, I wanted to trade him my hard-earned money for some comics at his B&M store, and he told me he doesn't accept credit or debit. So I had to drive to an ATM to get cash for him. Upon returning, I gave him the cash, and he then told me he didn't have change, and I would have to go get change, or buy more comics to equal the $20 increment I had. He just doesn't seem nice. I get the impression he's a bitter comic dealer who doesn't make much money as his chosen profession and hates it. I could be wrong.