• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Death in the Bronze Age - Was There Ever a Run Like Daredevil 82-94?

19 posts in this topic

The rise of the anti-hero is probably the most important Bronze Age trend, but this also goes hand in hand with character deaths. A big change in 1970's comics was the "no one is safe" mantra, whereby villains were killing heroes, innocent bystanders and even other villains, and many of the most popular anti-heroes joined right in with the deadly mayhem.

We all know about Conan, Wolverine, The Punisher, Deathlok, Son of Satan, Bullseye, Thanos, ASM 121-122, etc., but one of the most death-filled runs has to be the early-BA Daredevil. I reread this awhile back and was very surprised to see villains, co-stars and bystanders literally dropping like flies. And sure, some of these were retconned or retold later, but many have remained in the MU and all were obviously intended to be final.

Daredevil 82: Death of Scorpion

Daredevil 84: Death of the Assassin

Daredevil 86: Death of The Ox

Daredevil 89: Death of the Purple Man

Daredevil 91: Death of Mr Fear

Daredevil 92: Death of The Blue Talon

Daredevil 94: Death of Danny French & The Indestructible Man (Damon Dran)

And that's not counting the deaths of various policemen, innocent bystanders, henchmen, scientists, etc. that occurred during that run, but rest assured the body count is very high.

One other interesting part of this storyline is where death in the MU is examined in an innovative way, as the Black Widow is physically put on trial for the murder of the Scorpion, which is rather ahead of its time.

Wow, that's quite an impressive list of deaths. I'm sorry to say I haven't read any of those daredevils, or at least that I could remember.

Do you feel the deaths were to add to the hype wagon or were these deaths necessary to advance each individual story?

Wow, that's quite an impressive list of deaths. I'm sorry to say I haven't read any of those daredevils, or at least that I could remember.

Do you feel the deaths were to add to the hype wagon or were these deaths necessary to advance each individual story?

I've also missed a lot of these issues. I tend to pick up the early DD or the later #158 and up issues. Looks like I've missed some great stuff.

I should note that this run was scripted by Gerry Conway of ASM 121-122, 129 fame. :insane:

Well, give us some details. Who has came back, who is still dead?

Were all these deaths justified?

Come on JC, don't hold back for us non-DareDevilers.

Most of the Bronze Marvel villains came back after apparently meeting their demise with the exception of Green Goblin. The difference though was when a villain did reemerge, Marvel took the time to explain how they defeated death. That's the major difference between Bronze/early Copper and today's comics. Today, a villain can die in one comic and appear the next month in another character's title with absolutely no explanation.

It's called continuity...and despite all the apologists who scream it hampers a writer from doing his best work, I suggest it's the writers who are weaker for not having the imagination to work within a construct and building on it. Anyone can think of a story...it's the exceptional writers who can take something existing and make it better...

Jim

It's called continuity...and despite all the apologists who scream it hampers a writer from doing his best work, I suggest it's the writers who are weaker for not having the imagination to work within a construct and building on it. Anyone can think of a story...it's the exceptional writers who can take something existing and make it better...

Jim

(worship)

Most of the Bronze Marvel villains came back after apparently meeting their demise with the exception of Green Goblin.

But in this case, I think most of these died and weren't even resurrected like the Green Goblin.

Ox stayed dead and was replaced in PPSSM, the current Mr Fear is a new one - his nephew, that Scorpion died, but I think he was revealed as a clone, and other than The Purple Man (whose death was explained away, I believe), the rest died and never came back that I know of.

So the only hazy ones were Purple Man and Scorpion.

Most of the Bronze Marvel villains came back after apparently meeting their demise with the exception of Green Goblin.

But in this case, I think most of these died and weren't even resurrected like the Green Goblin.

Ox stayed dead and was replaced in PPSSM, the current Mr Fear is a new one - his nephew, that Scorpion died, but I think he was revealed as a clone, and other than The Purple Man (whose death was explained away, I believe), the rest died and never came back that I know of.

Didn't realize that...I thought they all came back under the same IDs. That run was a bloodbath... :grin:

Jim

Damon Dran, the Indestructible Man has been seen since. :gossip:

The rise of the anti-hero is probably the most important Bronze Age trend, but this also goes hand in hand with character deaths. A big change in 1970's comics was the "no one is safe" mantra, whereby villains were killing heroes, innocent bystanders and even other villains, and many of the most popular anti-heroes joined right in with the deadly mayhem.

We all know about Conan, Wolverine, The Punisher, Deathlok, Son of Satan, Bullseye, Thanos, ASM 121-122, etc., but one of the most death-filled runs has to be the early-BA Daredevil. I reread this awhile back and was very surprised to see villains, co-stars and bystanders literally dropping like flies. And sure, some of these were retconned or retold later, but many have remained in the MU and all were obviously intended to be final.

Daredevil 82: Death of Scorpion

Daredevil 84: Death of the Assassin

Daredevil 86: Death of The Ox

Daredevil 89: Death of the Purple Man

Daredevil 91: Death of Mr Fear

Daredevil 92: Death of The Blue Talon

Daredevil 94: Death of Danny French & The Indestructible Man (Damon Dran)

And that's not counting the deaths of various policemen, innocent bystanders, henchmen, scientists, etc. that occurred during that run, but rest assured the body count is very high.

One other interesting part of this storyline is where death in the MU is examined in an innovative way, as the Black Widow is physically put on trial for the murder of the Scorpion, which is rather ahead of its time.

Excellent thread. I never knew all those deaths occured in this Daredevil run. I'll have to go back and re-read this set of books again.