• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Over 300 unchecked Ewert books in the Registry!

130 posts in this topic

Plitch made a pretty comprehensive post about the Ewert books in the other thread...and it was summarily locked... :frustrated:

I make my question here then...

Plitch...if you say the Ewert submission list posted on this Board is in error, why don't you just release the Ewert submission list and save everyone some time? Why are you making the customers guess instead of proactively helping them to determine if they have an Ewert slab? That's the only way to put this issue to bed...

Jim

I only recall Sterling as being one the boardies involved in contacting Ewart book owners, though there were others. We need them to contribute information at this point.

I did not contact owners (at least I don't recall but I won't refute it if someone remembers), although I did help with some of the data collection analysis. BB13 had shared the actual book sales/list, which was posted here earlier.

[i have a book which I purchased from an Ewert ebay auction which is not on any of the published lists I have seen. Who do I contact to get it listed? BTW, I contacted CGC and it fell outside of their date range, so they said it is probably not at risk. :golfclap:

In 2005 when the list was being assembled my understanding is that the list of books included only books he sold on eBay (not from other venues) and other books from submitted invoices. It obviously includes books that may have included books from other sources that he did not taint, and it obviously doesn't include invoices if he didn't sell it on eBay. You'd have to contact Brad at NOD to see if this approach has changed as he is actively working on this.

I'm guessing there are unregistered viewers who might want the list, so I'll host the spreadsheet for now. If you'd like to download the list (not sure how long I can keep it up) I'll have it available at the below link until tomorrow evening (Monday).

Ewert List Link

(thumbs u

Thanks for that.

The next problem is keeping that updated, as a number of those books have been cleared.

I'm guessing there are unregistered viewers who might want the list, so I'll host the spreadsheet for now. If you'd like to download the list (not sure how long I can keep it up) I'll have it available at the below link until tomorrow evening (Monday).

Ewert List Link

(thumbs u

Thanks for that.

The next problem is keeping that updated, as a number of those books have been cleared.

Yeah, would be nice if CGC or the owners of said books stepped forward to let us know which have been cleared, but that's probably asking too much at this point with all the uncertainty going on.

Well, since I've purchased a suspected Ewert book (yet to be confirmed via CGC) less than a year ago, I spent a few minutes to create a "no frills" check against the invoices Brad communicated over at nod. Anytime I am going to do a transaction I'm going to check it out here first. FYI this uses Javascript so your browser may complain. I promise there's no malware.

This list is not 100% accurate, but given the choice of no information or a decent guess, this is a no brainer. You should always take the information given there and confirm with CGC anyway so the book can be reviewed (if in your posession) and/or avoided (if willing to be purchased) and/or cleared.

http://ftp.datazap.net/ftp/sterlingcomics/cgccheck.htm

I'm in the process of writing a utility that will check all of the books of your registry set as well. Stay tuned.

Well, since I've purchased a suspected Ewert book (yet to be confirmed via CGC) less than a year ago, I spent a few minutes to create a "no frills" check against the invoices Brad communicated over at nod. Anytime I am going to do a transaction I'm going to check it out here first. FYI this uses Javascript so your browser may complain. I promise there's no malware.

This list is not 100% accurate, but given the choice of no information or a decent guess, this is a no brainer. You should always take the information given there and confirm with CGC anyway so the book can be reviewed (if in your posession) and/or avoided (if willing to be purchased) and/or cleared.

http://ftp.datazap.net/ftp/sterlingcomics/cgccheck.htm

I'm in the process of writing a utility that will check all of the books of your registry set as well. Stay tuned.

I downloaded the other list and realized that I had 2 books on the list. I sent in 4 previously to be checked and was wondering why I didn't do it for the other 2. Then I reread the old post where it said that they would check books from September 2004 to September 2005 only.

The books in question were graded in February 2004. I emailed Harshen and he said that the books were fine. Is there going to be any effort to segregate the books outside of the time frame that shows up on the list?

All the books in question both checked and unchecked were 100 pagers so I was confident that they weren't trimmed anyways due to the thickness of the books.

Ewert List Link

(thumbs u

Thanks for that.

Yeah, would be nice if CGC or the owners of said books stepped forward to let us know which have been cleared, but that's probably asking too much at this point with all the uncertainty going on.

II don't think having owners come forward and say their books have been cleared would be reliable. It would have to be confirmed by CGC and given a new serial number.

My thinking is this: Owners could claim the book was cleared in an effort to get the book taken off the list. So The only way for a book to be cleared is to have it slabbed with a new serial number. It would need a new serial number because there are multiple lists out there, and even if the book was cleared off one list, it would still be on another that is floating around.

Are all cleared books given a new serial number?

Ewert List Link

(thumbs u

Thanks for that.

II don't think having owners come forward and say their books have been cleared would be reliable. It would have to be confirmed by CGC and given a new serial number.

My thinking is this: Owners could claim the book was cleared in an effort to get the book taken off the list. So The only way for a book to be cleared is to have it slabbed with a new serial number. It would need a new serial number because there are multiple lists out there, and even if the book was cleared off one list, it would still be on another that is floating around.

Yes, the 4 that I had checked were given new serial numbers.

Ewert List Link

(thumbs u

Thanks for that.

If your book is checked and found to be clean, you will get a new serial number. If it's checked and found to be trimmed, it will be retained by CGC.

Therefore, no books on the list that were submitted by Jason during the identified time scale, and have been sent to CGC for a check, can retain the same serial number.

The problem, however, is that the list contains (a) books outside of the time scale, (b) books that are sequential to Ewert invoices, and © books that Ewert sold that he bought from other sellers.

The list therefore covers everything, and potentially taints everything, causing utter chaos. You may have a book (or books) that appears on this list but you will never be able to prove that it is 'clean' without CGC's intervention.

I have four books on the list that Jason did not submit, but simply sold. I suspect they're currently worthless...unless CGC mans up and produces a definitive list. :cry:

Ewert List Link

(thumbs u

Thanks for that.

If your book is checked and found to be clean, you will get a new serial number. If it's checked and found to be trimmed, it will be retained by CGC.

Therefore, no books on the list that were submitted by Jason during the identified time scale, and have been sent to CGC for a check, can retain the same serial number.

The problem, however, is that the list contains (a) books outside of the time scale, (b) books that are sequential to Ewert invoices, and © books that Ewert sold that he bought from other sellers.

The list therefore covers everything, and potentially taints everything, causing utter chaos. You may have a book (or books) that appears on this list but you will never be able to prove that it is 'clean' without CGC's intervention.

I have four books on the list that Jason did not submit, but simply sold. I suspect they're currently worthless...unless CGC mans up and produces a definitive list. :cry:

That really sux nick :foryou:

i'll take those 4 off your hands for $1. seriously tho, if you've gone to the lengths you've gone to and can't in good faith sell those 4 books as untainted i think you're doing yourself a disservice. one man's opinion.

I think buyers need to be broken down into 2 sub-sets:

1 Those aware that the serial numbers of the books are on a list. Until CGC provides a definitive list that is seen by this sub-set of buyers these books will always be suspect while they have the same serial number.

2 Those buyers unaware of the list will not view the books as tainted.

Solution if no definitive list is release by CGC could be to have the books resubmitted (at whose cost (shrug) ).

Ewert List Link

(thumbs u

Thanks for that.

That's great that the cleared books are given new serial numbers, but an effort to take off the original numbers from the list should be happening afterward so people don't keep looking out for those unknown cleared books.

My story continued:

A member of NOD searched my registry and sent me this list.

This might be more helpful. I got it from someone at NOD. They searched my registry.

• Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen 136 CGC 9.8 0098407013 9/16/04

• All Star Western 4 CGC 9.6 0098451009 2/28/05

• All Star Western 5 CGC 9.8 0098451010 2/28/05

• Brave and the Bold 80 CGC 9.6 0626903015 1/7/2005

These two were graded just before CGC decided that Ewert was trimming. Suspects?

• Superboy 166 CGC 9.6 0080561020 7/9/04

• Phantom Stranger 18 CGC 9.8 0098360004 8/3/04

I sent this list to Hashen and he has approved sending 4 in to be checked. The others were not Ewert submissions.

• Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen 136 CGC 9.8 0098407013 9/16/04

• All Star Western 4 CGC 9.6 0098451009 2/28/05

• All Star Western 5 CGC 9.8 0098451010 2/28/05

• Superboy 166 CGC 9.6 0080561020 7/9/04

This took only one e-mail to get to this point with CGC. He responded quickly as well. Regardless of CGC's overall response, if I leave this hobby over this scandal (I won't) it will not be due to CGC's error, it will be because of JEwert and Balsco (?).

to be continued....

I sent my 4 suspected books in to Harshen, three cleared as okay, one came out as a Ewert trimmed book:

• All Star Western 5 CGC 9.8 0098451010 2/28/05 :cry:

is there a keeper of the List? does someone update?

All in all, CGC was fast and efficient. Regardless of where the blame goes (Ewert), CGC responded quickly and were easy to work with.