• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cover for cover - what's the best Pre-Code Horror run?

75 posts in this topic

I'm certain this has been discussed in the hundreds of pages about Pre-Code horror books, but I'm curious as to my fellow forumites opinions on what the best run of Pre-Code horror books based solely on the cover art might be.

I'm still very much a newbie to Pre-Code horror and GA in general. I only own about half a dozen books in this genre so far. I still buy them to read, which I feel is the best part of collecting this genre, but I do love great covers as well.

Thanks for any input.

I like a couple of Fiction House short runs... Ghost Comics 1-11, and Monster 1-2...

GhostComics01-01frontcover-MauriceW.jpgGhostComics02-01frontcover-MauriceW.jpgGhostComics03-01frontcover-MauriceW.jpgGhostComics04-01frontcover-MauriceW.jpgGhostComics05-01frontcover-MauriceW.jpgGhostComics06-01frontcover-MauriceW.jpgGhostComics07-01frontcover-MauriceW.jpgGhostComics08-01frontcover-MauriceW.jpgGhostComics09-01frontcover.jpgGhostComics10-01frontcover-MauriceW.jpgGhostComics11-01frontcover.jpg

Monster01-01frontcover-MauriceWhitm.jpgMonster02-01frontcover-MauriceWhitm.jpg

Maurice Whitman covers, and the usual Fiction House staff interior art... and they are still on the cheap side of pre-code horror...

Mr Mystery, Weird Mysteries, I agree with Spellbound (and it's ok to stop at 23 - there was a hiatus in production), and Astonishing was consistently good for over 40 issues with a good number of excellent ones. Mystic was another good Atlas title with nice Everett toward the end of the run

I like that Ghost was recommended as I think highly of Whitman's art. All of those are good covers and there are a number of really, really good ones. With girls! :cloud9:

Another intersting short run is Beware Terror Tales -- primarily Bailey covers like Buttock's suggestion. You can't go wrong with Bailey as, from a pure horror perspective, I don't think there's any better cover artist. 2c

The first 5 Mr Mystery are weak.

The Ghost run really has a high level of consistent quality compared to most any other title.

Ghost probably....maybe Weird Tales of the Future.

No love for Craig? :whistle:

He knocked a bunch out of the park, but he also had several duds. For example, VoH 33, 36 and 40 don't do anything for me.

He knocked a bunch out of the park, but he also had several duds. For example, VoH 33, 36 and 40 don't do anything for me.

VOH Gallery

Those three are all solid covers -- not lame like in some of the other titles that were mentioned.

I only like a few covers from each of EC's runs... some of them just hit me kinda flat... Others are just drop dead gorgeous... Ghost Comics is actually the only run I can think of where I like each and every cover... The rest, I would have to just pick and choose favourites... Black Cat Mystery has a solid group of covers that I like, but they only equate to about half of the run... Same for Voodoo, Weird Mysteries, Weird Horrors, Strange Terrors, et al.