• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Most Underrated Artists!

68 posts in this topic

I thought for a little something fun, we could all speak up on some the artists we think are vastly underrated in the hobby. Artists who's talent is not given their due (both in popularity and monetary value). You could even cite some examples of why they deserve more attetion. So, I'll start off:

For me, the most underrated artist in the industry today has to be Pat Olliffe. Known mostly for his work in the Spider-Man family of titles (like Untold Tales of Spider-Man and Spider-Girl), he has often been overlooked by many. His style is crisp and clean and while able to put in a nice amount of detail, he isn't overly elaborate and flashy. While some might think this casue his art to be a bit bland, it couldn't be more wrong. How many artists today can pack in vast amounts of emotion into one scene, yet still punch up the visuals when it is truly called for? All this, and he knows how to make a deadline.

Artists like Pat Olliffe used to be the backbone of the industry. Now, they are lucky to get put onto a doomed series just before it is cancelled (as Pat has had that happen more than once). And forget about working on any headliner books. So, for all the reasons stated above (and more), that is why I choose Pat Olliffe as the most underrated artist in comics today.

Can't wait to see who some of you all choose. :)

I'd say one underrated artist that I am a fan of is Tom Lyle because of his work on the Robin Mini Series. As a teen, the new Robin was one of my favorite characters and actually got me into back issue collecting by trying to get his first appearance and follow on appearances. Hey, we all start somewhere. Anyhow, I thought Lyle's work was consistently solid--with some pages being particularly strong and dynamic (action scenes) and others being low key but still quirky and fun (the D&D game in Robin II: Joker's Wild comes to mind).

Anyhow, solid artist who I was always a fan of as a kid.

Barry Kitson-Marvel doesn't utilize him, a true talent

Doug Mahnke (even though doug cracked wizards top 10 this month), DC never gives him the big book nowadays

Patrick Gleason--very talented

Douglas Paszkiewicz always comes to mind when this question is asked. Why? first, the guy writes and draws all of his own stuff, excellently, I might add. I have had several commissions done from him and the amount af attention to detail he puts in is fantastic. Spend 5 minutes talking with the guy and you'll see how strongly he feels about his craft. You can get just about any page he does for under $100, and personal commissions won't run you much more. Greatly under-appreciated for a guy making his own mark in the comics community.

And

James LeMay, doesn't get his proper respects becuase of the subject matter he draws, XXX comics. But the guy also writes, pencils, inks (and now inks on computer) and colors all of his own stuff. An all around talent. Here's a "quick sketch" of his(NOT XXX).

Hey some nice choices out there. I certainly agree with McLeod and Sprouse. They are both very much overlooked.

Can't agree on Kitson, though. And I'm iffy on Breyfogle. Both of them seem more well known that many of the others listed here.

Another one I want to add: Graham Nolan. He's got a really great style and sense of stroytelling to his work, but he is often forgotten within many folks minds.

Maurice Whitman. Drew practically every cover for FH during the last couple years that published and produced striking work in every genre. Here's some sci fi covers.

PlanetSetSm.jpg

Maurice Whitman. Drew practically every cover for FH during the last couple years that published and produced striking work in every genre. Here's some sci fi covers.

PlanetSetSm.jpg

Wow, that is some VERY striking work! I especially like the cover to issue #70. Incredible! :o:acclaim:

Hey some nice choices out there. I certainly agree with McLeod and Sprouse. They are both very much overlooked.

Can't agree on Kitson, though. And I'm iffy on Breyfogle. Both of them seem more well known that many of the others listed here.

Another one I want to add: Graham Nolan. He's got a really great style and sense of stroytelling to his work, but he is often forgotten within many folks minds.

you said underrated not most unknown.