• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Most Underrated Artists!

68 posts in this topic

I agree with a lot of the above mentioned names as being under appreciated. I submit:

Chris Marrinan - Did a nice run on Wonder Woman, and lots of fill in issues on various titles for Marvel and DC (Spider Man titles, Batman, an X-Men issue, etc.) Always thought his art was pretty nice but never really appreciated as you don't see him name come up often, if at all.

John McCrea - Did a pretty solid run of work on Hitman and then has dabbled in various titles since; reteaming with Garth Ennis for a few fill in issues here and there. I believe McCrea falls into the unfortunate position of having worked on the "other" Ennis book that wasn't Preacher, and thus remains overshadowed despite turning out some great art.

Holy Necrothread Batman!!

Anyways,

I'd have to throw in with Patrick Olliffe. I've really loved his stuff since his work on Thor. In my Opinion, Untold Tales of Spider-Man still holds up as one of the best Spidey runs there is.

It's a shame he doesn't get more work, though he does quite a few fill ins.

Oh, and I'm enjoying his work on The Mighty Samson from Dark Horse.

Um, Wait... on second thought he is a hack. Please send all your Olliffe artwork to me so I can recycle it for you. :)

Brian

Ross Andru is quite underrated IMO ..

Also I'd say Tuska and Colan aren't at their proper rate neither...

Mooney ??

Staton ??

Bob Brown !!!

Colletta inks over Kirby pencils !!!

Ayers !

Chic Stone !!

Syd Chores !!!

Would like to see the overrated artists thread ... :gossip:

And more on McLeod...the guy gets better and better with age. A lot of guys that were around in the 80's might have lost a step, but Bob is better than ever. He did this for me last year.

McLeodKravenjoinedsm.JPG

And these were two Con Sketches done at Heroes Con 2007 and 2008 respectively...Bob's level of effort and skill comes thru even on his con sketches.

McLeodSpideyGoblinTogether2.jpg

Beautiful works indeed !!! :applause:

pardon me if I don't comment the Pollard / Rubinstein commission piece ...

And more on McLeod...the guy gets better and better with age. A lot of guys that were around in the 80's might have lost a step, but Bob is better than ever. He did this for me last year.

McLeodKravenjoinedsm.JPG

And these were two Con Sketches done at Heroes Con 2007 and 2008 respectively...Bob's level of effort and skill comes thru even on his con sketches.

McLeodSpideyGoblinTogether2.jpg

Beautiful works indeed !!! :applause:

pardon me if I don't comment the Pollard / Rubinstein commission piece ...

lol

Irv Novick is the name that comes to mind when someone mentions under-appreciated.

I love his run on the Flash. He draws a pretty nice Bat-Man too.

Loved Larry Stroman's Alien Legion. Ron Frenz. Rich Buckler. SAL Buscema.

I agree with Irv Novick being under appreciated. He had a great run on The Flash. In fact I was looking at a great title page earlier today that was done by Novick with Giella inks. It was the Black Hand with the Flash running (on fire) in the background. Simply stunning.

I also agree with Ron Frenz and Rich Buckler not getting proper appreciation, comparatively to the great art that they've turned out over the years.

Always thought Sal Buscema was highly regarded, but maybe that's just my perception as I have liked his art for awhile.

Lots of talented artists out there that unfortunately seem to fall to the wayside a bit, or get forgotten in the shuffle.

Hey some nice choices out there. I certainly agree with McLeod and Sprouse. They are both very much overlooked.

Can't agree on Kitson, though. And I'm iffy on Breyfogle. Both of them seem more well known that many of the others listed here.

Another one I want to add: Graham Nolan. He's got a really great style and sense of stroytelling to his work, but he is often forgotten within many folks minds.

Have to agree about Breyfogle & Nolan... I've been a big fan of both.

For years I was leaning more towards Breyfogle's striiking style,

but in the recent years I've rediscovered Graham Nolan and developed

a great appreciation of his neo-classic style.

I was lucky enough to be able to buy some great examples by both artists,

check out the KILLER Joker pieces by Nolan, probably some of the best

Joker images of the '90's :

My CAF gallery

Underrated = Under Appreciated = prices are still reasonable for their OA. lol.

btw - While I mentioned Ron Wilson in an earlier post, I do not own any art by him .... yet. ("The Thing" is not a character I collect but I still enjoy Ron's art).

Cheers!

N.