• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Backing Board question

18 posts in this topic

i read somewhere today that backing boards are only acid free on the shiny side.(comic vine).

is this true?

am i daft for thinking that the whole board is acid free?

im talking here about the bog standard boards that can be bought relatively cheaply.

i read somewhere today that backing boards are only acid free on the shiny side.(comic vine).

is this true?

im talking here about the bog standard boards that can be bought relatively cheaply.

There was a great thread about this a couple of years ago in the Restoration forum. It dealt with the differences in the front and back. I'll try to dig it up and post a link here. :wishluck:

is this true?

From a website online:

Question

The question I have is about backboards for comics. Do you put the shiny or dull side facing the comic, and whats the purpose of this? Thanks peter

Answer

Dear Peter,

Thanks for your question! The shiny side of your comic book backing board is heat treated, more acid resistant, and should be the side of the board that touches the comic book. This is the practice most comic book dealers and archivist use.

I hope this answers your question. If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask I'd be glad to help.

Sincerely,

Monte

is this true?

From a website online:

Question

The question I have is about backboards for comics. Do you put the shiny or dull side facing the comic, and whats the purpose of this? Thanks peter

Answer

Dear Peter,

Thanks for your question! The shiny side of your comic book backing board is heat treated, more acid resistant, and should be the side of the board that touches the comic book. This is the practice most comic book dealers and archivist use.

I hope this answers your question. If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask I'd be glad to help.

Sincerely,

Monte

You'd think that info would be printed on the package.

Then again, you'd think they'd print instructions on how to put a comic box together on the box, too. lol

is this true?

There was a great thread about this a couple of years ago in the Restoration forum. It dealt with the differences in the front and back. I'll try to dig it up and post a link here. :wishluck:

FFB did a test with a litmus pen on both sides. The shinny side was considerable more acid free that the rough side. It appears that one the shinny coating is what's acid free.

is this true?

FFB did a test with a litmus pen on both sides. The shinny side was considerable more acid free that the rough side. It appears that one the shinny coating is what's acid free.

Yes, I remember the thread but can't seem to locate it using the search function. I specifically used FFB as part of the search. And I was using words like - pH tester pen; backer; acid; acidity; etc.... but to no avail.

I did find the thread where he said he was going to test it..... :insane:

is this true?

From a website online:

Question

Answer

Dear Peter,

Sincerely,

Monte

Then again, you'd think they'd print instructions on how to put a comic box together on the box, too. lol

That was a ing classic! :roflmao:

Somebody give that thread its quarterly bump! :headbang:

theres another thread there: How long did it take you to put together your first box?

videos of people struggling to put them together could be posted on youtube.

is this true?

From a website online:

Question

Answer

Dear Peter,

Sincerely,

Monte

That was a ing classic! :roflmao:

Somebody give that thread its quarterly bump! :headbang:

Can someone bump this, please? I can't find it. :frustrated: