• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Not just comics...the greatest fictional character ever created was....

Greatest Fictional character  

453 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest Fictional character

279 posts in this topic

I guess it would depend upon which age you lived. Odin, Achilles, Zues, Peter Pan, Godzilla, Samson (may have been real, who knows for sure), David and Goliath, on and on and on.

I believe that an argument could be made that Adam and Eve are the most famous fictional characters.

I mean no disrespect to religious beliefs by saying that. I believe that the Bible is full of lessons and stories to get across points (is the correct word metaphors?). Not necessarily exactly what happened. I believe that Adam meant "men" and Eve meant "women".

It is the only logical explanation to explain how Cain killed his brother Abel, and God banished Cain to the land of Nod. This was at a time when according to the Bible, there were only four humans anywhere. Yet, God put a mark on Cain before banishing him, to let "others" know not to kill Cain for what he did. Additionally, Cain somehow managed to find a wife in the land of Nod, and he went on to found a great city.

But, I digress, sort of.

I guess it would depend upon which age you lived. Odin, Achilles, Zues, Peter Pan, Godzilla, Samson (may have been real, who knows for sure), David and Goliath, on and on and on.

I believe that an argument could be made that Adam and Eve are the most famous fictional characters.

I mean no disrespect to religious beliefs by saying that. I believe that the Bible is full of lessons and stories to get across points (is the correct word metaphors?). Not necessarily exactly what happened. I believe that Adam meant "men" and Eve meant "women".

It is the only logical explanation to explain how Cain killed his brother Abel, and God banished Cain to the land of Nod. This was at a time when according to the Bible, there were only four humans anywhere. Yet, God put a mark on Cain before banishing him, to let "others" know not to kill Cain for what he did. Additionally, Cain somehow managed to find a wife in the land of Nod, and he went on to found a great city.

But, I digress, sort of.

I saw this EXACT debate coming from the start, which is why I narrowed this down by saying "outside of any religious context" in the first post. It would make the discussion unworkable. Job, Noah, Zeus....on and on and on.

Well, having Santa there is a religious tie in, being that he was originally based on a Catholic Saint. I know that he is not considered that anymore, but it is there.

Nope. Santa is exclusively a non religious figure...nice try...even baby Jesus cried when he found out Santa wasn't real.

Well, having Santa there is a religious tie in, being that he was originally based on a Catholic Saint. I know that he is not considered that anymore, but it is there.

Is it okay to safely agree for the sake of the topic Saint Nicholas has grown beyond the religious connotation and is now a holiday icon? Just for this discussion?

I knew that was coming and you have an excellent point. He was historically based on a saint, but being popularized as a fictional character I believe he lost all association with religion (and I think most Christians would agree that he nothing to do with religion or the religious meaning of Christmas). The character "Santa Claus" is not supposed to be any kind of incarnation of St. Nicholas.

, now I find myself in the exact discussion I was trying to avoid. How do these things happen?

Nope. Santa is exclusively a non religious figure...nice try...even baby Jesus cried when he found out Santa wasn't real.

Saint Nicholas was/is real. Just like Abraham Lincoln.

Now if in a thousand years from now people tell stories of how Santa Abraham Lincoln flew around on his sled being pulled by flying raindeer so he could free the slaves doesn't mean that Abraham Lincoln wasn't a real person.

Is it okay to safely agree for the sake of the topic Saint Nicholas has grown beyond the religious connotation and is now a holiday icon? Just for this discussion?

Yes please! Well said.

(thumbs u

Now if in a thousand years from now people tell stories of how Santa Abraham Lincoln flew around on his sled being pulled by flying raindeer so he could free the slaves doesn't mean that Abraham Lincoln wasn't a real person.

We have officailly entered the Twilight Zone. Are we really going to have this discussion?

I understand your point and I do not have a religious agenda.

But I would like to add that Santa comes on Dec. 25th (and we all know what day that is supposed to represent), and he comes bearing gifts (again,we all know what that is supposed to represent).

But, I will drop it.

I'll vote for Superman, because he is truly and for sure, fictional. (he is, right?).

We have officailly entered the Twilight Zone. Are we really going to have this discussion?

No we're not going to discuss this because Saint Nicholas and Santa Claus are two different things. Santa is as non religious as you can get....it's not where his roots are...it's what he is now.

R.

We have officailly "now" entered the Twilight Zone?

Where the heck have you been? lol

OK...

Have you pressed any good books lately?

Guest Grails

My favorite would have to be The Man With No Name.

James Bond is up there as well. Lots of novels and probably the most films ever tied to a single character.

I understand your point and I do not have a religious agenda.

But I would like to add that Santa comes on Dec. 25th (and we all know what day that is supposed to represent), and he comes bearing gifts (again,we all know what that is supposed to represent).

But, I will drop it.

I'll vote for Superman, because he is truly and for sure, fictional. (he is, right?).

Actually Superman was created by two young Jewish men and modeled after Moses...

lol