• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Earliest Celebrity in a Super-Hero Comic

15 posts in this topic

With the recent appearances of Colbert and Obama in the Amazing Spider-Man, it got me to thinking about what was the earliest celebrity appearance in a Super-Hero comic?

To me, the Super-Hero age started with Action Comic #1 (of course this is a debate for another thread), so it would be post-1938.

Also, I guess I'm referring not to those sport books or educational books that have some famous athlete or person from history, but an actual Super-Hero book. Yes, also excluding time travel stories that show a Ben Franklin or what not. The person has to be renowned in the time the book was published.

The one that comes to mind to me is Johnny Carson in Spider-Man # 99 (1971), but I'm sure there has to be some War World Two era stuff.

I think you also mean where the celeb interacts with the superhero and not just a bio or something like the Doc Savage above. Are you excluding presidents of the time as celebrities.

At the very least you have to start with Bob Hope #1

The other one that comes to mind is Superman 67 with Perry Coumo singing on the cover.

I think you also mean where the celeb interacts with the superhero and not just a bio or something like the Doc Savage above. Are you excluding presidents of the time as celebrities.

At the very least you have to start with Bob Hope #1

The other one that comes to mind is Superman 67 with Perry Coumo singing on the cover.

Yes, the celeb must interact with the superhero and not a bio or text story. Presidents definitely count as celebrities, as would other world leader.

Here's FDR on a cover from July-August 1940. I think this is a cover appearance only, but I'm pretty sure he made cameos in other books around this time (none coming to mind though).

48086-mystic4sm.jpg