• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paging Art collectors - value of H181 cover???

63 posts in this topic

Since we are talking about historical comic art, does anybody knwo who owns the Steranko silent pages from Nick Fury #1 and what they would be worth in today's market.

In my opinion, not only do I consider these to be classic Steranko artwork, but of significant historical importance since it laid the groundwork for future silent issues such as GI Joe #21 and Marvel's recent silent issues.

Since we are talking about historical comic art, does anybody knwo who owns the Steranko silent pages from Nick Fury #1 and what they would be worth in today's market.

Don't know about those pages in particular, but I saw that one of the comic art auction sites was recently advertising that it sold the cover to Nick Fury #1 for $17,600 in 2002. For some reason, that figure seems very low to me in light of the artist and the hugely influential and classic image. Does anybody know more about this sale? Was the artwork in poor condition or something? I would have thought that it would fetch a much higher price.

Gene

In my opinion, not only do I consider these to be classic Steranko artwork, but of significant historical importance since it laid the groundwork for future silent issues such as GI Joe #21 and Marvel's recent silent issues.

If the "silent storytelling" thing is such a big deal I think Will Eisner needs to change the text on his business cards, because he played around with "silent" stories in the 40s.

If the "silent storytelling" thing is such a big deal

umm... can't help but agree with the tone of your statement. I remember back when I read GI joe 21 about 10 years ago all I felt was ripped off! foreheadslap.gif Spent $2 on something that took about 30 seconds to "read" ... damn marvel shysters!!! laugh.gif

In terms of whether or not the issue is a "key" issue, I appreciate an argument based on the first appearance of the ninjas much more than any argument based on the silent storytelling. It wasn't that revolutionary, and it didn't have any significant impact. I mean... silent month? Big friggin' deal. crazy.gif

Hi,

Steranko art is very popular for two reasons.

1. He's a terrific artist, with a unique flare. His art is very clearly distinct, and was revolutionary at the time.

2. His art is rare. He only did a handful of comics total! He drew for about 4 or 5 years, then went on to do something else.

It took me forever to get a nice Steranko example, for these reasons.

Pricewise, his interiors fetch about 3-5K for Nick Fury, 3-4K for X-Men, and (probably) 5-10K for Captain America/Hulk (if you can find them). I'm looking for a nice Cap page myself.

I know of two cover sales recently. Nick Fury #2 sold about 6 months ago for about 25K privately. Hulk Special #1 (classic image of Hulk being crused by his own logo) sold for about 50K (believe it or not!). Again, private sale. I'm not making this stuff up, folks. It's amazing what goes on behind the scenes in this hobby. I'm just happy to be in the loop, even though I can't always partake smile.gif

Hari,

I'm just glad some original Steranko covers still exist. Hi-prices realized but not too insane compared to silver Marvel cgc 9.6 or bronze ASM cgc 9.8 comics.

In the 70s, Steranko hated to sell any of his originals because he had so few. He would only trade for other artwork he liked. flowerred.gif

Steranko is a pretty cool guy Just wish we wasnt so damned wordly and involved in a million things so he would sit at the drawing board and churn out some stuff for us from time to time. I asked about the Chandler graphic novel that was supposed to be out like a decade ago Steranko says to me ÿou look like a patient man you can wait right?" Geesh what could I say but I guess so When "superstar"artist comes to mind he is the first one to pop into my head.

Steranko still does not like to sell his art, so that makes his art even rarer. He has a bunch that he carries around with him to conventions as sort of a museum, but none of it is for sale. Like I said, I'm still looking for a nice Cap America page, but (as you know) he only did three issues. I paid dearly for the one X-Men page I do have, and I would never sell it. His art is truly something in person, especially in the large original art form. As with many talented artists, much is lost when you shrink the 11 X 17 image down to comic book size and (gasp!) add color!

Here's my Steranko X-Men page from issue #51. Enjoy!

http://www.nighthawkcomics.com/art/steranko-xmen51p5.JPG

Beauty!!!! Where do you keep your pages, Hari? Do you have anything "on display", as it were?

On a related note, I went to the LCS tonight and the owner had a page from "30 Days Of Night"........

It was strange. VERY cool, but strange.

First, it was done in pencil. All of it. Like, "Take out your #2"-type pencil.

Second, it was done on a sheet of regular, cheap typing paper. CHEAP paper. Like the kind you would find in the printer at the library.

Wildly cool, but very unusual.

Speaking of Nick Fury #1 pages.

A good friend of mine owned the double splash from Nick Fury #1

and was having it framed when the framer was killed in a robbery

attempt a few years ago.

The art has never been recovered, but I'm sure he would pay a nice

reward for info leading to it's return.

Steranko still does not like to sell his art, so that makes his art even rarer. He has a bunch that he carries around with him to conventions as sort of a museum, but none of it is for sale.

I'd heard that story with a slight variation - that the work was for sale, but the prices he wanted were so high, nothing ever goes. It's not my world though, so I'm probably wrong.

The only other art story I've been told that intrigues me, is about an early Spiderman issue. I think it's either number 4 or 5. Apparently the book was sold as a whole to someone over here in England many years ago. I gather it's (possibly) the earliest material from the series known about. The price was ludicrous by todays standards, a few hundred pounds, but unfortunately the whole thing got mashed in transit and is pretty much ruined. Is that true ?

Steranko does sell artwork He had several of the painted Shadow covers along with some misc stuff at Dragon Con this past year. No prices were mentioned but the fellow from Vanguard press who was with him (David Spurlock?) said the cheapest thing he had there was 10K + He also said no sketches no commisions and he was refusing to sign the Nick Fury reprints Marvel didnt pay him royalties for (and rightly so) There was no mention of any 60's stuff I imagine if he has any of it left it would only be something he would use to trade for artwork he really wants. If and when the Chandler graphic novel ever comes out I imagine he may sell some of that off.

Hi,

I hadn't heard about the #4, but it's well-known that the #6 complete interior art (Lizard issue) was damaged by a dog that used it as a chew-toy. There are a few pages from this issue floating around, including one on Mike Burkey's site for 15K or so. Mike's page is one of the few that were only minimally damaged. Another page sold on Heritage a while back.