• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Snoopy !

22 posts in this topic

Ok, the buy it now price isn't 'outrageous' but it is on the very high side... if this were snoopy as red baron or in the pumpkin patch or fighting Linus for his blanket that would be different. My experience on ebay has been for years that if you price something at the high retail it will usually not sell. Bidders on ebay want to see a run up and a fair bidding process before they will pull the trigger; often items that start at $1 end beyond what a high retail number would be. Also, I would think at this level of pricing that there is little reason to 'buy it now'; why not just bid and get the piece for who knows how much cheaper?? Could be 40k is the reserve and that ain't hay! Even at 45k, I would wait if I were bidding. Thirdly, I'm not sure if all of the potential buyers for this piece even look at ebay anymore. I have a couple of friends who never look at ebay anymore as it is just too much effort for too little reward. Finally, and this has nothing to do with this auction, but I prefer the daily strips for the most part. The 4 panel dailies just encapsulate Schulz's wit that he perfected over the years. They have a flow that I associate with Peanuts like no other strip. There are some Sundays that mimic this, but few and far between... just my opinion. Don't hate me... :blush:

Ok, the buy it now price isn't 'outrageous' but it is on the very high side... if this were snoopy as red baron or in the pumpkin patch or fighting Linus for his blanket that would be different.

Personally I love this one. I don't normally find peanuts to be very funny but this one is great and snoopy's in every panel

I hear what you're saying Dan. - But I have to agree with Bronty, Snoopy in every panel is pretty sweet.

I wonder about the food chain when it comes to Peanuts. Stephen, you can probably help with this question. Being that there are so many "classic" Peanuts scenarios :

- Charlie Brown pitching on the mound

- Lucy as shrink - 5 cents !

- Snoopy as Red Baron

- Charlie Brown pining over the little red haired girl

- Snoopy & Woodstock

- Luis and his blanket

- Luis and the Great Pumpkin

- Charlie Brown and the kite eating tree

- Lucy pulling the football out from Charlie Brown

So, what's the order of importance ?

Can I give it a shot(I'll limit to the choices given)?:

Snoopy as Red Baron

Linus in the Pumpkin Patch

Lucy pulling the Football

CB with kite eating tree

Lucy as shrink if CB is there

the rest would be a tossup for me depending on which example. DF

Snoopy as Red Baron

CB with kite eating tree

Doesn`t the age of the strip affect the valuation? I would think that Peanuts strips from the 50s and early 60s, at the height of Schultz`s creative genius, would command a higher price than later strips when he was kind of running on auto-pilot.

I agree, my all time favorite. sold for over 70k in 2004.

peanuts_s.jpg

That`s a classic! (worship)

You also have to love Schultz`s subtle (or maybe not so subtle) editorial commentary on the state of comic books in the early 1950s, labeling them "For the kiddies" and then showing titles like "Kill", "Hate", etc. lol

Maybe not a sentiment that would be too popular with all the EC collectors on these boards, but absolutely classic.

Snoopy as Red Baron

CB with kite eating tree

Doesn`t the age of the strip affect the valuation? I would think that Peanuts strips from the 50s and early 60s, at the height of Schultz`s creative genius, would command a higher price than later strips when he was kind of running on auto-pilot.

definitly a big delta based on age. The 50s always seems to command top price based on the Heritage sells.

I'm enjoying the discussion. This is actually one of my top five Sundays of all time. I read this for the first time when I was a tennis-crazed twelve-year-old so that helps of course. It doesn't surprise me that football and baseball ones sell well. I could see this going to a tennis collector.

My most loved comic is one with Snoopy in WWII. It was a Sunday strip that honored D-Day. God I wish I could find that strip. I've looked for years and haven't been able to find it. I believe it came out in the late 80s early 90s because I remember seeing it in the paper as a kid. I just stared at it cause it was so beautiful. If anyone finds it I'll buy 'em a beer! I think it had Snoopy running under barb wired and stuff and then finally making it to a pup.

I'm enjoying the discussion. This is actually one of my top five Sundays of all time. I read this for the first time when I was a tennis-crazed twelve-year-old so that helps of course. It doesn't surprise me that football and baseball ones sell well. I could see this going to a tennis collector.

I love LOVE that Sunday!!! I was a tennis player (out on the court every day it didn't rain) and saw that when it came out.

It perfectly captures an aspect of Snoopy's character with a terrific punchline and interesting graphics. I don't think that the tennis theme is going to "sing" for everyone but it sure works for me!

Snoopy as Red Baron

CB with kite eating tree

I absolutely agree that there the market appropriately values his earlier work, but I think this is awfully darn close to 60s stuff and it's got a nice flow for someone looking for an example Sunday. I would love to have one, but the economic crisis would have to get a lot more severe for that to happen.

Interesting point about age with Peanuts strip; always the elephant in the room as styles changed so dramatically over time.

However, for myself (and perhaps others??) I am a child of the Peanuts movies and the LATE 60's and 70's strips capture the look and feel of the cinema and tv experiences that are burned into my brain.

I feel about 50s and early 60's Peanuts much the same way that I feel about Ayers inked Kirby from the early age of Marvel... I appreciate the historical import, but I much prefer Kirby's mid to later work where he really got rolling, the inking was refined, and the 'look' of the characters became set in stone.

Again, just my heretical opinion.... don't hate me. :sorry: