• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What was the first appearance of Martian Manhunter?

68 posts in this topic

Detective 225 linky

Awesome. So I guess more early silver age than GA.

Pre-Silver Age as I consider Showcase 4 is the start of the SA. 2c

Detective #225 for many years was considered the first book of the silver age. Sometime in the late '80s or early '90s the consensus seemed to switch to Showcase #4 and a character that had a more lasting effect.

Detective #225 for many years was considered the first book of the silver age. Sometime in the late '80s or early '90s the consensus seemed to switch to Showcase #4 and a character that had a more lasting effect.

My understanding does match yours as I'm unaware that there was ever a time when you could construe that there was a reasonable hobby consensus of Tec 225 as the start of the SA. There were some attempts to promote Tec 225 at the start of the 90s and, as a result, that was when there was a dramatic price increase in Tec 225 leading some to speculate on the motivation of the promoters.

My understanding does match yours as I'm unaware that there was ever a time when you could construe that there was a reasonable hobby consensus of Tec 225 as the start of the SA. There were some attempts to promote Tec 225 at the start of the 90s and, as a result, that was when there was a dramatic price increase in Tec 225 leading some to speculate on the motivation of the promoters.

DC comics reprinted Detective 225 in their "Silver Age Classics" title. :baiting:

DC comics reprinted Detective 225 in their "Silver Age Classics" title. :baiting:

DC Archives have numerous inaccurate artist/writer credits. So if they can't get right who they employed... :baiting:

just goes to show how deep d.c.'s wrongheadedness runs.

just goes to show how deep d.c.'s wrongheadedness runs.

shadaap!

Detective 225 linky

technically no.......late GA would be accurate. Pre-Showcase 4 would be considered by most GA, although Tec 225 has the look, feel, smell and printing quality of a typical Silver Age DC.

For my money I always liked the "atom age" designation for books between about '48 or '49 to the mid fifties. That age does have a feel of its own.

I thought it was printed in the old Overstreets as the first silver age book, but I must have that wrong. (I don't have my old copies any more.) Detectives was one of the titles I collected in the early '80s and I was asking John Verzyl why #225 was so darn expensive - I couldn't figure out why people would pay a huge premium for a minor character's first appearance - and that was the primary reason he gave. Perhaps I gave way too much credibility in my mind to his statement and I imagined reading elsewhere similar information.

Detective 225 linky

technically no.......late GA would be accurate. Pre-Showcase 4 would be considered by most GA, although Tec 225 has the look, feel, smell and printing quality of a typical Silver Age DC.

For my money I always liked the "atom age" designation for books between about '48 or '49 to the mid fifties. That age does have a feel of its own.

yeah, technically correct, though the Atom Age is like the "red headed stepchild" of Ages, and often gets blended into and "absorbed" by the Golden Age by many folks, considered very early Silver (the early-mid 50's stuff) by some others- including here ( on these Boards ).

The Atom Age is like a "tween" .... not quite a teenager, but too old to be a little kid

Batman #78 (8-9/53) has Ron Kar, The Man Hunter from Mars, precursor to Martian Manhunter.

So Batman 78 was the start of the SA. :kidaround:

Comics code seal = GA (tsk)

Comic code book with cover date prior to Sept. 56 = SA (tsk)

So most 1955/56 books fall into a no-man's land and are therefore not even worth collecting. ;)

This is why I fruitlessly lobby for the Atom Age to be considered an overlapping era that runs from roughly from 1946-1958 - as books published in the decade after the Atlas implosion can be likely be considered Silver Age, regardless of publisher or genre - and from the decade prior to the end of WW2 fits anyone's description of Golden Age. This also coincides with the period where super-hero books were eclipsed in popularity by other genres.