• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In Praise of Comic-Book COVERS

72 posts in this topic

Okay, title splash pages continue to have a good run on a separate thread . . . so how about comic-book COVERS?

Designed to be intrigue-orientated . . . a visual hook to entice the would-be reader into parting with his or her hard-earned (?) pocket-money.

Usually the most memorable piece of art from a comic-book.

To start the ball rolling, here's a low-key example from an obscure and short-lived Marvel title:

b4huyx.jpg

Captain Savage and his Leatherneck Raiders # 2 (Large Art, March 1968)

Forgettable book, but great visual by D*ck Ayers (pencils) and Syd Shores (inks).

Rare surviving example of a (Large Art) Ditko superhero cover:

depwsx.jpg

NUKLA # 4 (September, 1966)

Fourth and final issue (only one featuring Ditko art). Published two months after the artist's departure from his most famous creation, Spider-man (concurrent with ASM # 40).

This is a cover that I was dying to get. I spent a long time searching Mitch's site for the exact moment it came up for sale and when it did, I pounced! Later, like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person doh! , I included it in a trade for another piece and immediately regretted it. When I got a chance to get the piece back, I jumped all over it and that made me appreciate it more. :banana:

http://cafurl.com?i=9902

72015.jpg.f63bb9eebcb5fbaed5ee5cc88339318e.jpg

My American friend, Lloyd Braddy, helped me enormously with this project . . . All that originally existed of this cover was Joe Orlando's line art and two separate color overlays (one red, one yellow) positioned over the illustration of the corpse. No logo or caption box existed (which, presumably, had been incorporated during the printing process at time of publication). Since buying the cover, from Ken Danker, I'd always wanted to have the original art look 'complete' - by way of having the CRIME ILLUSTRATED logo and "Introducing . . .PICTO-FICTION" caption box re-created and integrated with the original. Thanks to Lloyd, who is a technical whizz-kid with printing processes (by way of profession), and a tip of the old hat to Ray Cuthbert (who had a copy of the original mag on hand for scanning purposes), Lloyd was able to provide two possible solutions for marrying the original art with the caption material. One idea was a colour-matched print (reproduced at original art size) of the full cover . . . which would then have the central figure cut-out . . . and positioned over the original line-art and red/yellow overlays. The idea was excellent in theory, but very difficult to perform - as all the pool of blood patterns proved a real s.o.b to cut around! The next option was to incorporate a clear mylar overlay that Lloyd had used a pigment printer to reproduce the caption material onto. This, to my mind, provided the best solution. Taking the mylar sheet, the logo and caption box were trimmed close to the text . . . and positioned underneath the red and yellow overlays. The clear elements of the mylar and overlays allow the full board (with all imperfections, including some use of white-out) to be seen in total. The end-result, I think, is particularly striking . . . especially when seen "in the flesh" at the original art's whopping size of 20" x 16"

206ylc1.jpg

CRIME ILLUSTRATED # 1 by Joe Orlando (December 1955)

2q2ian4.jpg

Line Art (minus overlays)

Just to mix it up a bit...here's a modern cover from my collection:

FREDDYVSJASONVSASH2Cover.jpg

I'm a big fan of Eric Powell, but have tried to stick to his main creation, THE GOON. Had to get this one, though. One of Eric's coolest covers. I dig the touch of Jack Davis...fitting for a horror/comedy comic.