• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

9.4 Grades slipping?

15 posts in this topic

I am a big fan of CGC. Contrary to statements by detractors, I believe the company has given the industry a needed shot in the arm, and added legitimacy to the hobby. For years I was afraid to buy comics on Ebay as they would always arrive overgraded. That NM comic would always turn out to be a VF. When CGC arrived I started buying again, with confidence. Depending on the comic I collect between CGC 9.4s and 9.8s as a rule. I could rarely find anything significantly wrong with any of the comics I received in those grades. Recently, just in the 9.4 range, I'm starting to see things that I didn't see previously in the 9.4 grade. Like multiple creases, or more significant creases. The cases in my examples are in perfect condition, untampered with. I even called for grader's notes in two cases and they matched what I was seeing. Perhaps this is just my experience based on a small sample of what's really out there. Has anyone else seen slippage in the 9.4 grade, or am I worrying too much? Maintaining grading standards is important to every collector, so I figured this was at least worth posting for some feedback. :)

I would EXPECT to be able to see defects on a 9.4 comic

Maybe the first 9.4's you got were just exceptional and should have been graded 9.6

I collect Batman 9.8's and even on those I can see defects (usually production errors like tiny spine splits at the top and bottom of the spine)

If you can't see any defects on a 9.4 then you start wondering why it was not a 9.6 or 9.8

I do not believe there is slippage on 9.4 grades.

I agree with the comment that I should be able to see a defect on a 9.4, otherwise I start wondering. Let's face it a 9.4 will have a couple defects. It's all in what bothers you or what you are looking for. I used to be a spine guy, prefering books with no spine creases. Recently, I have been conentrating more on the corners.

When I look back at my 9.4 perfect spine copies, I now 'suddenly' notice the corner defects. They were always there but they simply didn't bother me before.

Let's face it a 9.4 will have a couple defects. It's all in what bothers you or what you are looking for. I used to be a spine guy, prefering books with no spine creases. Recently, I have been conentrating more on the corners.

When I look back at my 9.4 perfect spine copies, I now 'suddenly' notice the corner defects. They were always there but they simply didn't bother me before.

I thought I was the only one... :insane:

Thanks for the ongoing feedback on this topic. I'm in agreement with your comments that there will be some defects on a 9.4, and that you always continue to progress as a grader. I also agree with the comment that I am a spine guy (although I do also like sharp corners). Having said that, I currently have 30 comics graded at 9.4 and the last 3 that I purchased are perhaps the least pristine of the group (including two of the Wolverine Ltd series with as many as 3-4 spine dings each). All have grading dates in the last few months. That's why my alarm bells went off. The odds of that happening seemed a little unlikely. I feel reassured by the fact that nobody else has seen a trend in this area, it's probably just a matter of what you personally look for in a comic (spine, corners, cover gloss etc.) Call it luck of the draw. Although I won't stop buying 9.4 comics, I may start concentrating a little more in the 9.6 to 9.8 range as I've been very happy with all of the comics I purchased or sent in for grading in that range.

I used to be a spine guy, prefering books with no spine creases. Recently, I have been conentrating more on the corners.

Is that because you can press out the bent corners but can't press out color breaking spine stress? :baiting:

mess Happens! Deal with it! Sometimes I wonder WTF! I Just received a Secret Invasion Sketch Variant #3 in 8.0 I could not explain why it is an 8.0. Most of the time, when I send in a submission, I send 30 books. Most of them grade 9.6-9.8. But, there is always one book that grades low as hell for no obvious reason. And, When I only send 10-15 books on a submission, there are more books that grade lower than expected, I seriously think that the fewer books you send the lower they will grade as you are paying less for grading fees, just my 2 cents. I have sent many books in and that is my experience though. Every time I max out a sub form, all the books grade higher! ODD? I think so.

mess Happens! Deal with it! Sometimes I wonder WTF! I Just received a Secret Invasion Sketch Variant #3 in 8.0 I could not explain why it is an 8.0. Most of the time, when I send in a submission, I send 30 books. Most of them grade 9.6-9.8. But, there is always one book that grades low as hell for no obvious reason. And, When I only send 10-15 books on a submission, there are more books that grade lower than expected, I seriously think that the fewer books you send the lower they will grade as you are paying less for grading fees, just my 2 cents. I have sent many books in and that is my experience though. Every time I max out a sub form, all the books grade higher! ODD? I think so.

This is such Krap, I can't even believe I took the time to read it, never mind respond. . . . meh

I seriously think that the fewer books you send the lower they will grade as you are paying less for grading fees, just my 2 cents.

Graders only see one book at a time, they have no idea if the book was sent in by itself, or part of a set of 1000 comics that were sent to CGC all at once. At least that is what we have been told....