• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What comics took the most number of years to become MAJOR key issues?

106 posts in this topic

Some time in the last few decades collectors started identifying DC SA keys for GA characters. For example:

Adventure 256 (SA origin Green Arrow)

Adventure 260 (SA origin of Aquaman)

Wonder Woman 105 (SA origin of WW)

Worlds Finest 94 (Origin of Batman and Superman team)

I'd also throw Flash 123 in as a late blooming key.

iron man 55 took 20+ years for sure. Spiderman 50 (minor key?) perhaps as well

Somone paid $25,000+ for a copy of ASM #50 last year so I think it has moved into the MAJOR key category. Plus it has become an iconic cover.

In my world its probably not a major key and what some whackjob paid for a mint copy is really neither here nor there ;) I agree that its become an inconic cover (OVERRATED cough cough) to some people

(worship)

ASM 5 & 28 are definite KEYS. :makepoint: ask any dealer. :gossip:

That's a reliable source! lol I can just imagine any such conversation:

Collector: "Hey, is that book a key?"

Dealer: "Uh? Yeah, sure it is. Major key. Just hasn't broken out in the Guide yet, you know how they're always behind the trends."

Collector: "In that case, I'll take it!"

Dealer: "Oh man, sorry, that's the wrong price sticker on there. Darn it, I told my guys that this was a hot new key, and to update the price. Tell you what, it's supposed to be priced at [fill in sky-high price], but because it's my own fault for not updating the price, I'll let you have it for only triple the price tag."

ASM #28 is not a "key" per say. PP graduating HS and the Molten Man origin are not earth shattering events in the world of Spidey. It has high value because of a very cool black cover that is hard to find in higher grades.

exactly! and the first appearances of two-bit villains (vulture, scorpion, rhino) aren't keys either. People seem to have this idea that every friggin spidey book is a key and that the first time spidey took a dump should be broken out in guide

lol

(worship) (worship)

Some books are "key issues" the day they are printed. Others seem to take 20 years to be broken out as a key issue in Overstreet.

So what books took the longest time to become a major key? (not counting Golden Age books which took until the first Overstreet was published in 1970 to be acknowledged as a key book)

Some that come to my mind are the late 1960's Batman books like:

Detective #359 first Batgirl

Batman 155 first silver age Penguin

Batman 171 first silver Riddler

Batman 189 first Scarecrow

I do not remember these as being key books in the early 1980's but they were by the 1990's. So it took 20+ years for them to become major keys

So what others are out there? Did any books take 30+ years to be broken out in Overstreet?

10 years after it's publication ,FF 48 was still going for the same price as the rest of the issues from 41-50....the books after # 10 for most titles were priced in groups of ten for years. I got my first FF 48 for 75 cents in 1974....it was NM....those were the days :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I got my first #48 for $2 in 1979 :luhv:

ASM #28 is not a "key" per say. PP graduating HS and the Molten Man origin are not earth shattering events in the world of Spidey. It has high value because of a very cool black cover that is hard to find in higher grades.

exactly! and the first appearances of two-bit villains (vulture, scorpion, rhino) aren't keys either. People seem to have this idea that every friggin spidey book is a key and that the first time spidey took a dump should be broken out in guide

lol

(worship) (worship)

You are trapped in what I like to call " a Web of ASM Envy". You're not envious of other collectors who have ASMs, since you could buy them yourself, but you are, however, envious of the fact that ASM runs this beeyotch, and that the silly, silly books you collect will never see the kind of demand Spidey enjoys. ;)

lol

(worship) (worship)

Actually, I would appreciate it if the guide could break out the first issue featuring spidey taking a dump.

SA books in HG in general are starting to command crazy prices, and not just ASMs. FFs from 45-55 in 9.4 OB are hitting stupid levels, so it's not just ASMs :makepoint: Look at all the other minor as well as major keys from other titles - they are getting some recognition these days :grin:

Amazing Adventures 11? Other than a black cover that makes it difficult to find in HG, and what amounts to a "costume change" for a character around since 1963, I don't attach much importance to that book.

Obviously, you're preaching to the choir here, but I'm trying not to join the "what I don't collect is a POS" haterade club.

lol

(worship) (worship)

:acclaim:

:hi: It's all key to me.

On a related note, I'm poring over my reading copies trying to find the first time he got laid. If it's after the wedding issue, I'm dumping my collection. I could never look at him the same way if I found out he didn't tap Gwen before she died.

hehe, that's pretty funny... good luck... let us know when the Spider-Crank got its first action lol

Some books are "key issues" the day they are printed. Others seem to take 20 years to be broken out as a key issue in Overstreet.

So what books took the longest time to become a major key? (not counting Golden Age books which took until the first Overstreet was published in 1970 to be acknowledged as a key book)

Some that come to my mind are the late 1960's Batman books like:

I do not remember these as being key books in the early 1980's but they were by the 1990's. So it took 20+ years for them to become major keys

So what others are out there? Did any books take 30+ years to be broken out in Overstreet?

10 years after it's publication ,FF 48 was still going for the same price as the rest of the issues from 41-50....the books after # 10 for most titles were priced in groups of ten for years. I got my first FF 48 for 75 cents in 1974....it was NM....those were the days :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I got my first #48 for $2 in 1979 :luhv:

I got my first #48 for $105...in VG-...in 2007. :sob:

Some time in the last few decades collectors started identifying DC SA keys for GA characters. For example:

Adventure 256 (SA origin Green Arrow)

Adventure 260 (SA origin of Aquaman)

Wonder Woman 105 (SA origin of WW)

Worlds Finest 94 (Origin of Batman and Superman team)

I'd also throw Flash 123 in as a late blooming key.

speaking of Green Arrow my favorite hero in the DC universe

Brave and the Bold 85 first appearance of Green Arrow`s look with the beard by Neal Adams.

:hi: It's all key to me.

On a related note, I'm poring over my reading copies trying to find the first time he got laid. If it's after the wedding issue, I'm dumping my collection. I could never look at him the same way if I found out he didn't tap Gwen before she died.

hm

sin17.jpg

I'm speculating and probably someone alreayd pointed this out: Aside from GA, there wasn't a whole lot of collector interest in the 70's and early 80's in Batman other than maybe some Neal Adams (or Wrightson, sort of) issues.

It's purely anecdotal, but my older brother had a friend who collected DC SA in the 70's when everyone else was collecting Marvel (and most of the contemporaries of my now 41 year old brother were collecting comics in some way). Not only was he able to buy most of the books for virtually nothing, but all the other kids thought he was retarded for collecting DC. I dunno how older collectors back then viewed it though.

I'm speculating and probably someone alreayd pointed this out: Aside from GA, there wasn't a whole lot of collector interest in the 70's and early 80's in Batman other than maybe some Neal Adams (or Wrightson, sort of) issues.

It's purely anecdotal, but my older brother had a friend who collected DC SA in the 70's when everyone else was collecting Marvel (and most of the contemporaries of my now 41 year old brother were collecting comics in some way). Not only was he able to buy most of the books for virtually nothing, but all the other kids thought he was retarded for collecting DC. I dunno how older collectors back then viewed it though.

I remember in the early 1980`s my cousin would trade 1 marvel comic for 5 dc comics