• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
19 19

3,699 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I don't dislike the Turtlemania books as much as some of the more recent books with "rarity" as their only redeeming quality, but it's really hard for me to "rank" even a Turtlemania Gold (or Gobbledygook #1) above a mint copy of TMNT #1. 

For the Turtlemania Gold books, "there are only 10 copies" is an exciting statement, but it's combined with "Is this the Turtles first appearance?  No, it's from two years later, and the Turtles were already pretty popular, and the book isn't an official Turtles book, and the rarity was done on purpose."

TMNT #1 succeeds on a bunch of levels where books like Turtlemania Gold don't.

Totally with you on this.  The content of the two books (TMNT #1 vs. Turtlemania) is totally different with Turtlemania being literally nothing of substance quite honestly.  TMNT #1 is the key book that started the entire franchise...and Turtlemania (and the "Con" where it debuted) wasn't even something Kevin liked (and still doesn't today). It's a gimmick book but the GOLD being limited to 10 copies IS what makes it valuable...not the content.  Whereas, the content of TMNT #1 is everything and its historical significance is undeniable. And, although not limited to only 10 copies, just over 3,000 copies is still a very limited quantity. You know there had to have been a fairly high destruction / loss rate for that 1st printing so the availability has to be much less than 3,275 print quantity I would think (my opinion of course - no real fact behind that).   

23 minutes ago, rich_TMNT said:

I'd say the introduction of Jennika the 5th Turtle is pretty major news...the last 4 weeks have been Turtles-mania and I'm betting that could have something to do with it. 

True, there's that. I meant outside comic book world. Turtlmania Gold's sale recently happened before the whole Jennika thing. But maybe that's all that it takes.

Edited by GM8

49 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I don't dislike the Turtlemania books as much as some of the more recent books with "rarity" as their only redeeming quality, but it's really hard for me to "rank" even a Turtlemania Gold (or Gobbledygook #1) above a mint copy of TMNT #1. 

For the Turtlemania Gold books, "there are only 10 copies" is an exciting statement, but it's combined with "Is this the Turtles first appearance?  No, it's from two years later, and the Turtles were already pretty popular, and the book isn't an official Turtles book, and the rarity was done on purpose."

TMNT #1 succeeds on a bunch of levels where books like Turtlemania Gold don't.

Exactamundo

26 minutes ago, GM8 said:

True, there's that. I meant outside comic book world. Turtlmania Gold's sale recently happened before the whole Jennika thing. But maybe that's all that it takes.

I feel like a lot of the market is driven by "comparable sales" (which is actually the basis for appraisals in real estate), and there has always been a "ratio watch" between things like gold and silver (the real thing, metal, price-per-ounce).  In the case of Turtlemania, it's not generally considered the best Turtles book, even if it's one of the 10 Gold issues, so there was a surge in the price for Turtlemania which is, let's say, 2nd best.  If the price of silver-per-ounce surges, it's likely that everyone will wonder what's going to happen with gold-per-ounce.  We're finding out today.

2 hours ago, rich_TMNT said:

Totally with you on this.  The content of the two books (TMNT #1 vs. Turtlemania) is totally different with Turtlemania being literally nothing of substance quite honestly.  TMNT #1 is the key book that started the entire franchise...and Turtlemania (and the "Con" where it debuted) wasn't even something Kevin liked (and still doesn't today). It's a gimmick book but the GOLD being limited to 10 copies IS what makes it valuable...not the content.  Whereas, the content of TMNT #1 is everything and its historical significance is undeniable. And, although not limited to only 10 copies, just over 3,000 copies is still a very limited quantity. You know there had to have been a fairly high destruction / loss rate for that 1st printing so the availability has to be much less than 3,275 print quantity I would think (my opinion of course - no real fact behind that).   

As a collector that's bought and sold TMNT 1 first print for the last 10 years, the Turtlemania craze has zero effect on me

8 minutes ago, GM8 said:

double wow. wait, I thought it said it was live through August 3rd? How does that work?

There are five sessions in the Heritage Auctions event (Comics & Comic Art Signature Auction) August 1st-3rd, 2019.  The TMNT #1 was part of Session 1 (ending today).

18 minutes ago, szav said:
26 minutes ago, rsouxlja7 said:

A 9.4 is about to go into live bidding. It will be interesting to see where it ends up. 

Two 9.4s sitting on eBay for 18k right now so shouldn’t be higher than that.

Shouldn't, but might.

some board members over the Golden age section were mentioning some funny business with the 9.8?  Market manipulation?  maybe get a couple friends to drive up the price?  A bit costly if you ask me.  Especially if heritage charges all those fees(buyer, seller premiums).  

Edited by Spiderturtle

15 minutes ago, szav said:

Book like this HA is only taking 10 to 15%.  Winning your own book costs you 10kish, or zero dollars if it’s HA winning the book.

If you’ve stockpiled over the years you could easily make that money back by starting up a frenzy.  There’s not that many of these books out there, if you had a couple mil to play around this you could easily try to pull it off.

hm there's a 9.8 going to auction in November at heritage

4 hours ago, rsouxlja7 said:

9.4 $10,200 incl BP

Same exact price the previous 9.4 sold for on HA also back on 5/16/19. Previous to that, one sold on 2/6/19 for $12.5K, then back on 5/27/18 one sold on ebay for $11K. 

And I know we're living in crazy times, but there is no conspiracy going on with 9.8's. :roflmao:If someone had enough money to stockpile high grade TMNT #1's and "manipulate" the market for, what, ten thousand dollars if they're lucky after commissions and taxes? That's a lunatic and the market will take that person's $ soon enough.

Edited by GM8

On 8/1/2019 at 4:01 PM, chrisco37 said:

Wish I had a 9.8.  90k is insane.

Yes, and Overstreet will summarize this price trend for TMNT #1 1st print nm jumping up an aggressive 10% :flipbait: in next Overstreet Price Guide Aug, 2020. Slow and steady; no need to reflect reality of current completed sales or auctions.

Ok, what are the guesses, with BP for the November book? 

That sale really fubar the range the next book could go for! 

I’m going to say now (if another pops up between now and than, game off) $69,000 BP included. I could be $20K+ off either direction😂 - Still fun to hear conjectures from the various TMNT fans=>aficionados here in Copper  

(I’m feeling another 9.8 will rear its purdy shell again somewhere, prior to the November copy’s sale)

Edited by Icculus308win
Fat thumbs and an iPhone 👍