• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should CGC notate this as a price variant?

23 posts in this topic

Do Modern writers do nothing but rip-off/revamp/retcon/steal old SA and BA concepts and stories? doh!

If these guys had an original bone in their bodies, it was broken during childhood.

JC, I just realized why you said that. I couldn't remember why the statement was familiar and then it hit me - Avengers 83.

I wonder if the story is exactly the same as well to be consistent (and lazy).

ValkyrieAvengers83.jpg

Thats lame. They are selling us 50/50 covers that are not even original and upping the price a buck. Marvel is really me off.

Dont forget this was the other cover to Hulk 9

hulk9b.jpg

So they up the price on a 50/50 series and using non original art concepts!!!

Do Modern writers do nothing but rip-off/revamp/retcon/steal old SA and BA concepts and stories? doh!

If these guys had an original bone in their bodies, it was broken during childhood.

JC, I just realized why you said that. I couldn't remember why the statement was familiar and then it hit me - Avengers 83.

I wonder if the story is exactly the same as well to be consistent (and lazy).

ValkyrieAvengers83.jpg

Thats what it says on the stone by Hulks head "after Avengers 83".

so more of a homage then?

Maybe they're just paying homage?

Personally, I'd rather see more of these types of covers, as opposed to what passes for modern covers these days. If I see one more Spidey pose down cover, I'll puke.

Thats what it says on the stone by Hulks head "after Avengers 83". so more of a homage then?

An "homage" is just a rip-off that's freely admitted to be a rip-off - there is really no functional difference.

On this particular issue, and any others that have as pronounced a price on it's cover, I'd say yes. If CGC doesn't, then collectors will. As far as other newsstand issues with price differences? I'm not sold on doing so...but I'm leaning towards yes as well.

Jim

So, are these actually two different US newsstand editions, or is the US/CAN one a Canadian newsstand copy?

One the DM version. The other is the US newsstand...

Jim

Then I wouldn't call it a "price variant" and I doubt that CGC will either. Or is there any precedent to make you think that CGC would call it a price variant?

So, are these actually two different US newsstand editions, or is the US/CAN one a Canadian newsstand copy?

One the DM version. The other is the US newsstand...

Jim

Then I wouldn't call it a "price variant" and I doubt that CGC will either. Or is there any precedent to make you think that CGC would call it a price variant?

In a hobby where collectors are continually trying to find any difference so they can claim an issue a variant (how many "it's a different shade cover" do we see on a monthly basis?), copies with difference prices on the cover seems like a no-brainer. Not saying it should be called a variant but I can see where some are coming from in trying to get them verified as such...

Jim

Then I wouldn't call it a "price variant" and I doubt that CGC will either.

It's certainly not a price variant, just the usual newsstand/DM editions. These are ALREADY different versions to begin with, so there can be no "variant" just because one is higher priced than the other.

A price variant occurs when two differently priced comics are sent through the same distribution channels and sit on the same shelves/rack.